Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Small Guestlist...

I just got engaged about a month ago. I love my fiance and am glad to have a wonderful man in my life.

My delima is after starting the guest list it seems terribly small and I wonder whats the point of have a wedding...I really want it though, the dress, cake and celebration. I'm 26 and have been waiting a good while for it.

It's discouraging though with such a limited guest list...I've been in California for three years, and just moved back to Baton Rouge, so the few friends I have are very scattered, and his list basically consists of  5 family member and his best man...bascially we are at about 30 people right now...I am worried about throwing a wedding and no one really showing up...

My only thought is to put off the wedding til we get better aquainted with the area and make new friends...

Any words of encouragement or advice would be helpful!
He calls me his little one. :)

Photobucket

Re: Small Guestlist...

• edited December 2011
    Wow, that's the opposite problem I have! Would you like to claim some of my & my FI's family members? Wink

We would LOVE to have a 30-guest wedding, it's what we really wanted. But now we're inviting over 150 guests. It just seems way too big!

You can have a beautiful wedding with 30 guests. Choose a venue that is small and intimate (there are tons of gorgeous locations for under 50 guests). You could have a garden reception, get married in a historic chapel, you could even fit your guest list into a historic home.

I am getting married at the Gatehouse, it's gorgeous and not too large-- plus they include almost everything in a per-person price. I think 30 people would be great there. You could get married on the bridge in the courtyard instead of under the gazebo. That would make your intimate guest list seem bigger. Just choose smaller locations!

I don't understand why you'd want to wait to get married just to make more friends.... after all, I am not inviting every person I know or I'd have 300 guests! Why invite someone I have only known a month and may not even stay friends with? But if all else fails, I can bring a posse of people to your wedding and pretend we all have known you since high school. Wink
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the kind words...I just would like the day to feel special, not  like a party no one came to. The list is just potential invites, most from California, that might not come...We've only been dating 9 months, so waiting another year to plan the wedding isnt really a huge deal, so he can make some friends, and I can get as well...I would just like to have a few more peers, than just family to celebrate with!

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Well, 9 months isn't terribly long, so I see what you're saying there.

But just remember, it WILL be special. You're getting MARRIED, presumably to a fantastic guy who loves you. No other day will be quite like that. You don't need a certain number of guests, just you and him and the people you love.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I completely agree with Jeana...book a small intimate venue and it won't seem so small. If you have always dreamed of a BIG, huge wedding then I would say think about waiting but dont settle on it. I say t his because my Fi and I have been together (this time) for just under 2 years and when we first started planning their were a LOT of issues concerning me having more friends I wanted to include in the wedding than him. Long story short Only 3 people in our wedding party of like 12 people are even HIS friends. I must admit, the people who were originally MY friends are now OUR friends but he felt a little intimidated that he had NO close friends he has kept contact with and wanted to include. Here we are nearly a year into planning and he has made ONE new, close friend. Now hes a little sad his new BFF is not a groomsman but like I told him, we can always have one of the other groomsmen be an usher or have his new friend just be an usher. We will figure it out. All im saying is, waiting a year may not give you that guest list you want either. Good Luck with evrything and keep us updated!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I guess the biggest is the stress of everything coming down on me...my moods have been so elavated...its been a huge time of transition...so after getting excited about having a nice wedding, the realizing it's probably not gonna happen, it was a let down.

THOUGH, after considering, I'm re-picturing it in my head...thinking very small,  20 guests, in New Orleans, Gazebo type ceremony, then just going out for a nice dinner some where in NO, and just drink and be merry with my friends. No catering or halls just fun evening of dinner and cocktails with our closest, then maybe find a nice club or something, the spend the night in New orleans, and head home. (we're talking about waiting a year for our honey moon, to save money)

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

I completely understand where you are coming from. My FI and I have been together for going on five years and have been engaged for almost 4 years. We are getting married in October and I have been planning this on and off for the 4 years we've been engaged. It was very hard to realize that we may be inviting about 150 people and only 75 or so will actually show up. My FI does not have a large family and the family he does have we aren't too close to. My family lives in Ohio and only my dad's side of the family actually came last year for my sister's wedding. So I can't depend on any of my mom's family to come. A lot of the friends in the wedding are my FI's friends that have become mutual friends. I have not stayed in touch with a lot of people I was friends with in HS and have made friends in college. It's hard when I compare what my wedding will be to my sister's wedding just because her husband has a large family and they have a lot of friends. She had about 150 or 175 people at her wedding.

We considered having our wedding at the Houmas House. It is beautiful for smaller weddings in the garden areas or even in front of the house. We didn't choose it because it was just out of our budget and didn't really want to have our wedding there and reception somewhere else. We ended up choosing The Cabin Restaurant to have our wedding and reception at when we originally only wanted our reception there.

I hope you feel better about the size of your wedding. Like pp said, it is going to be special no matter how many people are there. It has taken me some time to realize that, but it is very true!

• edited December 2011
    We are having a smaller type wedding as well.  I booked the chapel at the bluffs in St. Francisville.  It only seats 70 people so our smallish guest list wouldn't feel overwhelmed by others....
    http://thelodgeatthebluffs.com/component/content/article/50-lodgepicsfrontpage/152-the-chapel

it's really quaint and cute and we are having our reception at the restaurant on site.  i am still working out the menu on that one, but i have had the food (went to mccomb where they have a sister restaurant and omg the food is amazing and reasonable imo for a steak). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards