Snarky Brides
Options

So this is weird, but...

Okay so, a few years ago my car was stolen and totaled.  My dad parked it at a body shop with the keys in it and a kid who was high on drugs took it for a joy ride and later a high speed police chase, which resulted in him smashing it into a traffic light pole at about 80 mph.  He wasn't wearing his seat belt and was ejected - but lived.  Which is a miracle.

Anyway at the time, my car was still registered to my parents, so my dad was the one who got the phone call in the middle of the night.

Fast forward to the present day - just the other day, my parents got an automated call that stated that a criminal who'd committed an offense against them had recently been released from jail, and if they wanted to always be notified of his whereabouts, they could call xxx number and register.

So yeah, basically, the kid who stole my car apparently went to jail for a while and now he's out.  My mom seems to think that I should register on this notification system so I'll always be able to know where the kid is.  I, on the other hand, don't really care where the kid is.  It was a pretty random crime; he wasn't out to target me and he's not out there looking for me anyway.

I am 99 percent sure I will just ignore this registry thing but what would you do?  Ugh my mom is so nuts.  She is just adamant about me doing something about it, lol.
panther

Re: So this is weird, but...

• Options
    For this, I wouldn't register. 
  • Options
    I don't think so Duds.  I mean, there was our name and stuff on registry info in the car - but he was high as hell and pretty much just looking for a car to drive somewhere.  I'm pretty sure the last thing he was thinking of when he took it was "oh I wonder who this belongs to?  I could steal some of their other stuff."
    panther
  • Options
    It sounds like your mom's just concerned and looking out for you, but if it wasn't a crime that was specifically tied to you or your family, I don't see a need to know where he is at all times.
  • Options
    Why would you want to keep being reminded about something like that? Like you said, it wasn't a crime against YOU. You weren't targeted. your mom is nuts.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-this-is-weird-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a11de8cb-3f7c-4f14-be0d-08967c127254Post:0ab208db-f0f6-4185-87a7-c97535ba1657">Re: So this is weird, but...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think I would register for it. Does he even know the car he stole belonged to your family?
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

<div>This exactly.</div><div>
    </div><div>If it was directed specifically at you and your family I would probably register.  Otherwise chances is the guy could give a rats ass and just wanted to go on a joy ride.</div>
  • Options
    I know that people can do some crazy things and you always want to be on the safe side but does this kid even know who you are or where you live? I think the phone call might of freaked your mom out which is why she is over reacting.

Unless you went to court and sued this kid, I can't image any reason why he would be looking for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-this-is-weird-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a11de8cb-3f7c-4f14-be0d-08967c127254Post:cbf7067f-2df4-4929-bec4-45c3a4d11ae6">Re: So this is weird, but...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why would you want to keep being reminded about something like that? Like you said, it wasn't a crime against YOU. You weren't targeted. <strong>your mom is nuts.</strong>
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]

F'real
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-this-is-weird-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a11de8cb-3f7c-4f14-be0d-08967c127254Post:954e281d-6805-4a5a-b83a-05cc0fea2978">Re: So this is weird, but...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know that people can do some crazy things and you always want to be on the safe side but does this kid even know who you are or where you live? I think the phone call might of freaked your mom out which is why she is over reacting. Unless you went to court and sued this kid, I can't image any reason why he would be looking for you.
    Posted by AMYM312[/QUOTE]

No he doesn't know where I live.  The crime occurred in my hometown and I live roughly three hours away from there.  The kid DOES owe my parent's insurance company like 7 grand, and my parents 500 bucks for the deductible.  But really, no one's ever going to see that money.

The last I'd heard of the kid he spent six months recovering from the accident in a nursing home and was then pulled over in another stolen car.  So yeah.  I think he just likes stealing cars.
    panther
  • Options
    I wouldn't  Does the kid even know what you look like, or what your married name is?  And even if he did, it seems like he just saw a car with the keys inside of it and went for it, not specifically targeting YOU. 
  • Options
    If it was someone you knew who deliberately tried to harm you by stealing the car, or would possibly try to hurt you, then I'd do it.

In this case?  I wouldn't.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I just emailed her back and told her she should register, since the car was registered to them, and since he owes them and their insurance company money it's likely that he knows more about them than he does about me.

Lol.  I kinda enjoy the thought of her flipping out over it.
    panther
  • Options
    For that I would not register, like you said it seems random.
  • Options
    Ya, that seems pretty random so I don't think I'd register. If it had been someone who had a grudge against you then I would consider it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm with Steph, your mom's is nuts.

If she presses, just tell her you did, than don't :)

But, at this point like you said he obviously just like stealing cars, so it's not against YOU. The car was theirs, you dont live there, and you have a new name. It's not like he's a sex offender.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm nosy as hell.  I'd register just to see how quickly he lands his ass back in jail.
  • Options
    Lol pirate.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-this-is-weird-but?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:a11de8cb-3f7c-4f14-be0d-08967c127254Post:8890a6e7-4220-4417-97aa-a487888d3454">Re: So this is weird, but...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm nosy as hell.  I'd register just to see how quickly he lands his ass back in jail.
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]
    this is exactly what I was thinking!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    But seriously, what are they going to tell you? Where he lives?  When he goes to the grocery store?  What kind of whereabouts are they tracking besides freedom and incarceration?
  • Options
    I wouldn't register for a random crime like car theft. I'd probably register if the crime had been intentionally against me and violent in nature (or creepy like harassment or stalking). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't really know for sure, Pirate.  I'm thinking that maybe they just tell me where he'd be living?  I really don't know.  For something like this - which was clearly a random crime - it just sounds like what rach described, a pain in the ass.
    panther
  • Options
    I wouldn't register.  

We had a really similar thing happen to us.  Our truck was stolen from DH's work by a drunk guy at 8 AM.  He took it to the mall and broke into other cars and stole stuff out of them.  The guy picked our truck because it was probably the oldest vehicle in the lot and didn't have much anti-theft crap.  I do not and will not care when he is out of jail.  It wasn't personal, it was convenient.  We didn't testify against him in court either, it was a State vs. Doe kind of thing.  

I would register if it were someone that knew me before the crime (no matter what the crime).  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    If the kid doesn't know it belonged to you, I wouldn't bother.  It's not like he will be looking for you so he can go total another car of yours. 

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards