Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

bird cake topper

hey ladies!
I'm wanting to make my lovebird cake topper. Ive been looking online at ones for sale and figure I can just make it myself and probably a lot cheaper. I like the clay looking ones that are hand painted. I looked at michaels and can't find plain clay bird figurines....or anything really.

can anyone help me out on where to find something to make them out of or where i can find the clay ones (if thats what it is.)

has anyone made a bird cake topper?

thanks!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: bird cake topper

• TraciNoelTraciNoel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also using a bird cake topper, I had a hard time finding what I was looking for, so I had to improvise a bit...I found bird salt & pepper shaker wedding favors and plan to spackle in the holes and then paint over them.

http://www.amazon.com/Lovebirds-Window-Ceramic-Pepper-Shakers/dp/B0049PISHO/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1296369702&sr=8-17
  • edited December 2011
    This is the one we're using. A little expensive but they're hand carved and the colors are customizable. I love it!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62122995/large-standing-nuzzling-lovebirds-cake
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    August 2011 Siggy: Cake Inspiration!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_bird-cake-topper?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:93a96d6f-7744-4bef-844e-075ea5a926cePost:9ed55111-3d03-4d38-8b56-8d61bccc3c74">bird cake topper</a>:
    [QUOTE]hey ladies! I'm wanting to make my lovebird cake topper. Ive been looking online at ones for sale and figure I can just make it myself and probably a lot cheaper. I like the clay looking ones that are hand painted. I looked at michaels and can't find plain clay bird figurines....or anything really. can anyone help me out on where to find something to make them out of or where i can find the clay ones (if thats what it is.) has anyone made a bird cake topper? thanks!!
    Posted by scalhoun125[/QUOTE]

I just seen 1 in a magazine like a few months ago.

• edited December 2011
    For a cheaper option than carved, look at the birds in the floral section of Hobby Lobby (if you have one). I got ours there and they are little white birds with wings made of wood shavings. Really cute and only cost $1.99 for a pack of four! I'm glueing two of them into a little 4" nest I bought there in the same section for $1.99 too, and putting moss I already have in the nest, so It's definately a bargin!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • scalhoun125scalhoun125 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good ideas!!
    Thanks Ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards