Canada-Ontario

I have a very unique situation and need a wedding planners help

I am getting married next May and although I am doing ok planning things at this point on my own,except for  the bigger issues will be just that...the BIG issues if I dont get a professionals assistance.  I am a disabled (wheelchair using) lesbian bride who is having a some multicultural aspects in the wedding and reception, AND to boot will be forming a blended family with my kids and my fiance and her kids....  up to this point (and I have not been really planning all that long) I have been going full force at details, designing etc but I need to start thinking bigger picture...

Does anyone know of a wedding planning company or a planner that can handle a disabled lesbian bride and all that it entails....the sooner I can find one the betterCool

Re: I have a very unique situation and need a wedding planners help

• Oh wow, you're going to give a planner a run for her money!

Have you already selected a venue or are you starting all this from scratch?

I can't think of a wedding planner that specializes in lesbian, mulitcultural, blended family, wheelchair accessable weddings but in your shoes I would consider calling George Brown College and see if you can get in touch with their events department. If I'm remebering correctly they do a wedding planning course that should cover of the aspects that will be part of your wedding. I'd be willing to bet the professor of that course would be well connected within the industry and could give some strong recommendations of planners who have plenty of experience with everything! 

Good luck!  

• If you are looking for a venue, I can suggest the Estates of Sunnybrook. They have an elevator so it is completely wheelchair accessible. I found a lot of venues were partially accessible, but Sunnybrook was the only venue that was fully accessible.

If you want to check them out, they are having an open house this Sunday.
  • Call Leena at Let's Party Consultants - I'm sure she'll be able to assist you with your requirements.
  • @JennyB and @Jewel.... Cool  thanks ladies I will inquire on both.. and LOL @Jenny B- yup she will have her hands full alright...this is going to be a wedding for the books Im sure....@petite I will definitely keep them in mind, I love Muskoka tho so I am hoping to find something there as my first option
  • I wanted to mention that if you ask a venue if they are accessible, there is a difference between "accessible" and "fully accessible". In my experience, most are not even if they say they are, but you are probably have much more experience in this area than I do.

One venue I looked at called themselves accessible, but the bridal room to get ready and the cocktail room were unaccessible. Some also required you to go outside to access some rooms. I found that unacceptable to tell my guests in wheelchairs to skip the cocktail hour or go outside (possibly in the rain, since it is uncovered) to get to another room.
  • I second the Leena recommendation from Lets Party. 
  • if you want muskoka, deerhurst {huntsville} is good in terms of accessibility. my cottage is right near there. they do tons of weddings so surely can refer you to some good planners in the area. plus all your guests can stay right there. 
  • If you're in the Halton area I have to say try Othellos or the Atrium, they are amazing! I am having my wedding at the Atruim. They may be able to help you out. Good luck!
  • after pushing the wedding back and now finally back in planning mode i have a planner/coordinator in the wings and just about everything else sourced...  :-) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards