Rhode Island
Options

Wedding disaster :(

I have just found out from my venue that they may be breaking our contract and may not be allowing us to use their venue for our wedding due to a double booking. Our wedding is 2 months away. We are trying to find another venue at such short notice but, for obvious reasons, are having trouble. We have sunk so much $ and time into this, and are trying desperately to find another option aside from canceling. Can anyone recommend a place anywhere in RI that may be under the radar, and therefore still available??? Any suggestion is welcome.

Re: Wedding disaster :(

• Options
    KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear that! How many guests have you invited? That can help us recommend places that will accommodate you. Had your current venue been all-inclusive or do you have a caterer already?
    Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're small, about 50 people. We already have a caterer and all the other pieces, but no venue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It should be mentioned also that we'd need a place that could accommodate our ceremony and reception, since we have many out of town guests and we need everything in one place since we'll be shuttling everyone. We already have all our RSVPs in and will likely have all 50 people there. We're a small group so maybe we can fit into some nontraditional venues?
  • Options
    KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OK, regulars here are probably sick of hearing me talk about my venue, but it really is under the radar and would fit your crowd. It's The Meeting House in Tiverton. www.themeetinghouse.info.

We had a ceremony inside, dinner under a tent and dancing back inside. However, they have outdoor ceremony sites. For your size crowd, if you only wanted to have your reception inside, you might be able to fit your tables and still have room for dancing; that way you wouldn't have to rent a tent.

I have tons of pics of you want to see some. It's a gorgeous spot, with lots of nice places around for taking photos.

There's also the South County Museum, another unique and not-as-popular venue: http://www.southcountymuseum.org/wedding.htm

I was thinking of Kinney Bungalow, but that has been increasingly popular these days and might be booked. Alternately, you could try one of the vineyards. Here's one: http://www.greenvale.com/site_rental.asp

"Greenvale’s Tasting Room, which is a beautifully restored stable, can accommodate 50 guests for a seated dinner. From May through October, a tent can be placed alongside the building which allows seating for 60 people and dancing in the Tasting Room."

There's also the Botanical Center at Roger Williams Park, which is growing in popularity but maybe is less popular than other venues and might have some availability for your date?

If you're not opposed to a tent wedding, there's also the Smith-Appleby House in Smithfield: http://www.smithapplebyhouse.org/rentals.htm

Good luck! I hope you get some cash out of your venue for all of the trouble!!

Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    shoreshotz1shoreshotz1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out north beach house club....its really a cute place right on the ocean and has a nice deck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that... I know it must have been very stressful news for you. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could look into some of the venues operated by the Newport Historical Society, such as the Colony House, as those seem to be somewhat "under the radar" and are quite budget-friendly as far as the Newport area is concerned. South County Museum in Narragansett is also a great idea (www.southcountymuseum.org). The rental cost there is very, very reasonable, and you could have the wedding right on the grounds and then select one of the buildings (or an outdoor area) on site to hold the reception.The contact there for weddings is Jim Crothers (e-mail address is jim@southcountymuseum.org). The North Beach Club House in Narragansett could also work well for both a ceremony and reception for fifty people, but from what I've heard, they do tend to book quickly. It wouldn't hurt to check on their availability, though, if you're interested. 

You could check in with the Chorus of Westerly's performance hall, as well, though you might have to get creative to hold both the ceremony and reception there. Their website is: http://www.chorusofwesterly.org/site/PageServer?pagename=gek_rental. Lastly, there is Sweet Berry Farm in Middletown, which would be appropriate for 50 guests and could accomodate both the ceremony and reception, although I do not know much about them or what their availability would be at this point. 

Hope you're able to find something soon!
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe the Colonel Blackinton Inn in Attleboro.  It is on North Main Street (along with 10 churches)and is often under the radar due to its small size.
  • Options
    Sarah0335Sarah0335 member
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if this is much help.  I just booked at the Bay Voyage Inn in Jamestown, RI for next year.  Not sure if they will be booked, but I think they could easily handle the smaller side and so far they have been really great to work with.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I've been contacting people all week and hopefully will have some luck. Thanks again!
  • Options
    lhoffa221lhoffa221 member
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear it :(  Not sure where you want, but we loved the Newport Art Museum.  It's a gorgeous historic building right on Bellevue Ave, very unique, and really beautiful. The woman that (forgetting her name...sorry) was very helpful as well!  Our guest count was slightly over their max (of 100) but I think a wedding of 50 would be awesome there.  http://www.newportartmuseum.org/pages/facility_rental.cfm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards