Massachusetts-Boston
Options

NWR: Can anyone help me with a Boston area commute?

Hi ladies, sorry to crash the board, but you guys are way more active than Boston on The Nest....my husband's job got relocated to Portsmouth NH, but I have a lot of job opportunities in Beverly, Lexington, Woburn areas, so we're looking to live somewhere "in between." I've heard conflicting things, but Google maps says Newbury is ~30minutes to Beverly, but takes me Route 1, not 95. Similarly, we're wondering about living in Danvers and having him commute north--he's willing to do 50 minutes. Anyone familiar with that commute, traffic, etc? Finding a place to live long distance is stressing me out Laughing Thanks!

Re: NWR: Can anyone help me with a Boston area commute?

• Options

Hi, I would think commuting North would be easier, since most of the traffic is coming into Boston area. I live in North Andover and I have a friend who lives in Salem, NH who used to babysit my daughter, and on the days that I was dropping her off traffic going North was not a problem at all. But I used to take 495 or 93, so not sure how 95 or Rt. 1 usually look in the mornings... I've also found that a lot of the times it's easier to do back roads, that way you can avoid some traffic. Sorry I can't be of any more help, good luck in your research! And maybe try posting on a NH board, too, that way you can get a perspective from people who live in NH and commute to Woburn/Beverly/Danvers.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I can't completely answer your questions either, but I can tell you that we live in Cambridge, but FI works in Portsmouth a couple of days per week.  It takes him just about an hour driving straight up Rt 1 to 95; he says he doesn't encounter any traffic on a normal day.

I hope that helps.  Being near Rt 1 or 95 should help quite a bit.  I agree with PP, going north is FAR better than going south in the mornings.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    cinderellasjccinderellasjc member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012

If you were looking closer to Portsmouth, Newburyport... Amesbury area is beautiful.  Its about a 15 minute ride to downtown Portsmouth ( 35 if you take backroads), and Newburyport has a train station with trains that run about every 30 minutes to Beverly/Danvers area.  
    Keep in mind in the snowy weather, the northern stretch of 95 gets very icy; and in the summer months is jammed from the beaches.. Good Luck!! 

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Going north should be easier than coming south...traffic into Boston can be a nightmare at times on any of the major roads.
    Woburn wouldn't be too bad to get to from places up north.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_nwr-can-anyone-help-me-with-a-boston-area-commute?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:4ca29445-ee14-446e-ab5a-499ed03b6fc3Post:18a3a617-f219-4f7c-b424-2f0d896cdcdc">Re: NWR: Can anyone help me with a Boston area commute?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Going north should be easier than coming south...traffic into Boston can be a nightmare at times on any of the major roads. <strong>Woburn wouldn't be too bad to get to from places up north.</strong>
    Posted by amymaysa[/QUOTE]
    Oh I was wondering that as well, going slightly further West. Thanks for the info! I tried looking at Google Maps this morning around 8am and things looked "green" but who knows what that means...
  • Options
    I work in Beverly and I'm guess the reason why google would have you take rt1 from Newbury to Beverly is because Beverly is off of 128 while Newbury is right on rt1. If you did decide on a job in the Beverly area I think living in Danvers would be better. It would be 15min or so to Beverly depending on where. For him it would also be easier as Danvers is close to rt1, 128, and 95 so he could jump on the highway up to NH. Also, as someone mentioned going north in the morning pu should have no issues with traffic for the most part. FH drives from Peabody to Woburn every morning (on 95) and it takes him about 45min because of traffic going 95S and 93S, just something to consider Hope this helps!!
  • Options
    Going North is about 10000000X easier than south in those areas, so I'd recommend a "middle" that is closer to your job to make it more even in terms of time spent in the car.

We live in Boston, and I used to work in Lexington & my husband in North Andover, and we share 1 car.  The days that I had to drop him off first and then take either 495 south to rte 3 south OR 93 south to 95 south were horrible.  There were days that it took an hour to go just from 495 to 95 via 93 south.  :P
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards