New York

Invitation Budget?

I'm just wondering how much should be budgeted for wedding inviations and all the inserts (not including save the dates, programs, thank yous, etc...)...

We counted out how many invites we would need to send and came up with 157 invitaions, but my parents still want to add some people and we were told to have 15-20 extras. Since they are ordered in lots of 25 we were quoted for 200 invites at just over $600...is this standard today?

My sister's wedding invites cost about $250 when she got married 7 years ago, she had photo invitations which usually cost more, we have a folder style (not pockets).
We accepted the price and are rearranging our budget to fit this in, but just want reassruance this is what invites actually cost.

Re: Invitation Budget?

• raes19raes19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on how high on your list of importance invitations rank. You can buy kits to print them yourself for around $20 at craft stores like Michael's, or you can go with a printing company and pay $1000. For my invitations, we went somewhere in the middle. I used a printing company that specializes in invitations, but they aren't as expensive as some. We ended up paying $430 for 100 invitations with reception and RSVP inserts and envelopes.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • CD2011CD2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I spent maybe $50 for 75 seal and send invitations that I printed myself. So yeah, it depends on how important they are to you. I don't think most people really care too much about the invitations. I actually did get a few compliments on mine from close family, so it was nice to be able to say thanks, I designed/printed them myself!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    edited December 2011
    I agree with above.  It really depends on what you're looking for.  I know a bunch of friends who have made their own and they looked great!

I spent about $530 on invitations and I was a bit upset about it.  My mom did it for me and her initial calculations put it at around $300, but she wasn't counting all the extra pieces and how much the little things add up!  We had to send out 97 invites so we ended up ordering 125 (same thing as you, they go in quanities of 25.)  We also got some compliments on them, but overall was it worth it?  The jury's still out on that one. 
    Anniversary
  • raes19raes19 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_invitation-budget?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:621Discussion:62f54b76-eebf-492f-ab6e-20b4b9316d2aPost:b24a4ea5-2b82-4ccc-b1eb-1aa904db229b">Re: Invitation Budget?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I spent about $530 on invitations and I was a bit upset about it.  My mom did it for me and her initial calculations put it at around $300, but she wasn't counting all the extra pieces and how much the little things add up! Posted by sbolger17[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the postage! I spent around $75 in stamps, so don't forget about that when you are budgeting for invitations.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like we are getting a pretty good deal, considering how much some invites can cost these days!

Needing 200 invitations is what is adding a lot to our cost too, but since my parents are contrubuting so much already I don't feel right telling them to cut back their guest list just to save us $75 on some extra invitations.

I just can't believe how much some things cost just because they are for a wedding :-/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards