Plus-Sized

Need motivation...

Hi girls!

So for the first time in a long time, I did some cardio this morning - it was a DVD of dance cardio. I was DYING after like 4 minutes.... ugh. So not motivated... I couldn't get through 10 mins without having to stop. Am I this out of shape? Anyone have any similar experiences that they've overcome? 
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need motivation...

• the best thing to tell yourself is that this is just day 1. I often do the same thing, will stop doing it because it's too hard - but i'm expecting without any build up to do the whole thing! I've been doing the Jillian 30 day shred - tomorrow will be day 20 - still absolutely dying lol BUT i absolutely see progress and improvement. I just keep telling myself, it's not what i do every once in a while, but what i do every day. I'm hoping that will work lol - i wish i had started with more time, but now that its under 6 months, i have no room to play, and the dress will be in June 15th - that's another thing that motivates me - i picture myself IN my dress in my mind :)

Just keep with it - you'll amaze yourself how quickly you increase your stamina
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_need-motivation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:ffc6c884-f459-4efd-96ee-44ec4922be93Post:73ba392e-abe5-4edb-b63a-82f99827e2f2">Need motivation...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi girls! So <strong>for the first time </strong>in a long time, <strong>I did some cardio</strong> this morning - it was a DVD of dance cardio. I was DYING after like 4 minutes.... ugh. So not motivated... I couldn't get through 10 mins without having to stop. Am I this out of shape? Anyone have any similar experiences that they've overcome? 
    Posted by jfox113[/QUOTE]

<div>I remember being in this stage, and how tough it was to stay positive.  But try hard to remember what YOU did.  You got up, when unmotivated, to do cardio.  You were hurting after 4 minutes, but pushed through 10 minutes.  It doesn't matter how long you last at this point-everyone has to start somewhere and the endurance will come over time.  So be proud of yourself that you got your butt moving!  Keep going for a few weeks, and when you're breezing through minute four, you can look back at this post and be proud of the changes YOU made.</div>
    Anniversary
  • My best advice is to just remember that the more you do it the easier it will get. It's great that you took the initial effort to even do 10 minutes of cardio, next time try for 15 minutes, slowly build up your endurance and before yo know it you'll be doing 45 minutes of cardio without a problem!

Another suggestion: Don't push yourself TOO hard. If your heartbeat is above 165 and you're out of breath and feel like dying, don't make yourself go for a half hour like that. No one is making you run a marathon or anything like that, do what you're comfortable doing and push yourself in small ways to reach your goals.
  • Stop when you need to.  Figure out the time period you can go now, do that for a a couple of weeks, then add 5 minutes.  It's slower, but it gets your body used to it in a way that safer and doesn't make you pass out.

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend. - Andrew Futral

• I'm so out of shape, I cussed out Richard Simmons.  Couldn't even make it through 3 songs on one of his DVD's.  Then, the next day, I FINISHED 3 songs.  The next day, I got halfway through song 4.  Every day, I willed myself to bypass the place where I had stopped the day before, even if it was only by a minute or so.  I went into it knowing I would never be able to finish the whole 55 minutes the first day.  Now I can make it all the way through and when I get to that place where I stopped the first day, it's an AWESOME feeling to know I can get all the way to the end now!

It doesn't matter how much you get done the first day, or any other day.  The thing is, just keep going.  Keep going until you need to stop.  Drink plenty of water, and if you feel like it, go back to it after a 5 minute break.  Do what your body allows you to do, and as you get used to it, you'll eventually be able to do more and more. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards