Just Engaged and Proposals

Just got engaged! :) & Have a question for all you brillant ladies!

Hi all, I'm new here. I got engaged on 3/24; which was 8 years to the day that I met my FI. How exciting! I'm still all giggly inside from it.
I have a question for all of you girls out there regarding when/where to have our wedding...our situation is definitely out of the norm, so of course it is making things a little more difficult!
We are 23, been together since we were 15, and have lived together since we were 19. We're very happy with our little family (we have two cats hehe) and our life together. We're seniors in college, graduating in December of this year.
Here's the thing...we're moving in December. (This has been planned for over a year!)
My family lives way out of state, and his family lives about 2 hours away. We WILL NOT be getting married in his hometown, however if we were to have the wedding where my family lives- that is a 18 hour drive or a 2.5 hour plane ride. Either way, it would significantly cut down our guest count because many people cannot afford to make such a trip!
So, we're thinking to have the wedding where WE live, because it has been our first "home" and we love it! We have three venues that are local.
But... when to have it then? We've thought to have it right before the semester starts...but August is very close!
We've thought to have in November..maybe around Thanksgiving because then everyone would have time off anyway... and we could keep our same anniversary "number"...but then what if my family cannot afford to make a wedding trip and a graduation trip a few weeks apart?
So then we've thought of having it the weekend after we graduate and just having family stay over a week (just like having a weeks vacation-right?) BUT can you imagine the stress?! having finals two weeks before you get married?!
AND we've thought to have in next March 24- so it's the day we met, got engaged and will marry. BUT, then we'd literally have to fly back here to have our wedding. which would be fine with both of us.
So ladies, if you have some time...give me your opinions!
and I'm so glad to be a knottie!
"We should get jersey's, 'cuz we make a good team." Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Just got engaged! :) & Have a question for all you brillant ladies!

• If you get married before your last semester, then you wont have to be worring about wedding planning in your last semester which i cant imagine how stressful that would be.. if you  have a few months in the summer(provided you are not taking courses in the summer)  there isnt going to be any location that is perfect.. given that everyone lives in different states..
    Good luck with the decisions..
    Sept 2011 Feb...
    imageimage
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not have a wedding until other life-changing events are over.

We are buying a house this summer, and that's going to be more than enough at once for me.  I'm not planning anything until we are settled into our new house (meaning I have purchased all furniture I want, repairs are all done, and we are happy with it).  I want to be able to relax in a finished home and plan, not try to plan in between repairs.

I suggest focusing on graduating in the meantime also because you are spending a ton of $$ on school.  You will really see how much its' costing when it's time to repay SL's, and you'll want to have that budget set up before you start planning a wedding budget anyway.
  • I forgot to say, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_just-got-engaged-question-brillant-ladies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:5c63a2f2-c3c6-4f79-84e2-f5497e69abe6Post:27990c41-cf81-4884-b9e2-48f364732061">Re: Just got engaged! :) & Have a question for all you brillant ladies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would not have a wedding until other life-changing events are over. We are buying a house this summer, and that's going to be more than enough at once for me.  I'm not planning anything until we are settled into our new house (meaning I have purchased all furniture I want, repairs are all done, and we are happy with it).  I want to be able to relax in a finished home and plan, not try to plan in between repairs. I suggest focusing on graduating in the meantime also because you are spending a ton of $$ on school.  You will really see how much its' costing when it's time to repay SL's, and you'll want to have that budget set up before you start planning a wedding budget anyway.
    Posted by starburst2785[/QUOTE]

But you have been engaged three days and have your date set and are already talking about registering.  You probably shouldn't be giving advice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    282image Invited to celebrate!
    208image Will be Dancing the night away!
    74image Won't be having any fun
    0image are giving me a major headache

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards