• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Having a College Student Photographer?

I'm interested in booking a college photography student. I don't really want to go the Craigslist route in finding one. Has anyone used one recently that they liked?

Re: Having a College Student Photographer?

• LilyWater09LilyWater09 member
    100 Comments
    edited December 2011
    IMO no way!  I want some one experienced.  You get what you pay for.  But to me this is one area where I was not willing to compromise on pictures I would hate and regret my decision.  I would recommending cutting your budget somewhere else but you decide what is important to you. 
  • mdphdmdphd member
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Why a college photography student over a craigslist ad?  A lot of college photography students might be doing their advertising there...

I don't know of any, I guess I would start by figuring out what the good photography programs are in the area and then contacting department heads.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with MDPHD-  contacting department heads at some of the local universities may be a good idea.  I'd probably check out Point Park University and the Art Institute of Pittsburgh.  Good luck!

• edited December 2011
    Are you looking to choose a college student because of a budget? If so, you should do some searching within the board's history because we've talked about less expensive photog options a few times.

GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I contacted the Art Institute and they sent me a list of their graduates (they must get this request fairly frequently). CMU also has a photography department but I had less luck there. CCAC also recommended a couple of people.

We ended up deciding to go more expensive, but still doable after seeing the shots from one of the college students. There are a ton of people advertising on Craigslist in all different price ranges. (Under creative services from the home page). As long as you get references, I wouldn't be wary about using CL.
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Rachiella3Rachiella3 member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your thoughts. We contacted CMU and a few other local colleges - no help :(

I have really thought about the professional vs. student aspect. I have a minor in photography and taught undergrad photography classes. I know what to look for in pictures. I have known many people that have no formal photography training are now "professional photographers." Looking at most professionals websites, I'm noticing that most (not all) don't seem to be great at metering and lighting. They just do some neat things in Photoshop. My hubby-to-be is an Photoshop expert, so creating those effects won't be an issue for us.

I know this isn't the right decision for everyone, but for us going with a student with some formal photography classes seems like the best plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards