Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

MOH birthday close to wedding day

Hey girls. My sister is my MOH. Originally, we planned to have our wedding Oct. 8, which is a little more than a week before her birthday. But the venue is already booked for that day. My FI and I talked to my sister about pushing the wedding back a week, meaning it would take place 2 days before her 17th birthday. She said she didn't have a problem with that at all. So my question is, is there something I can do at the wedding reception to honor my sister's birthday without embarassing her or making it uncomfortable for guests?
Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: MOH birthday close to wedding day

• Options
    Man seeing this is so refreshing compared to brides who freak out or FMILs who insist on bringing their own birthday cake to the wedding (I seriously know someone that happened to).

Would singing happy birthday be too crazy?  What if you have a small cake for her at breakfast or lunch before the wedding, or maybe at the rehearsal dinner?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's really sweet, but I wouldn't.

I would just make sure to do something before the wedding for her as I'm assuming you'll be on your honeymoon for her actual birthday. I'd do a birthday dinner and no one talks about the wedding and it's all about her.  She picks the place, your gift to her can be a birthday outfit or something, just a really special day.
  • Options
    We got married on DH's aunt's birthday.  We all sang happy birthday to her, brought in a cake, and she blew out candles.  It was actually really nice.
  • Options
    My brother got married a few days before my 16th b-day. I didn't care, we didn't to anything to honor me at their wedding and honestly, the thought never crossed my mind. In my opinion it was their wedding.
    I did have b-day celebrations on my actual b-day though. Good enough.
  • Options
    I think just treat it as any other day, then make sure you remember her birthday and have a nice party for her.
  • Options
    My MOH's bday (and FI's--MOH is his twin sister) is two days after our wedding.  We are meeting for lunch on her bday, but I am not doing anything for  her on the wedding day.  If you can't see your sister on her bday, then I would just spend a special day with her before the wedding.  Best of luck!
    Jackson Allen ? 10.1.11 ?
    {Raising Jack}
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    that's a good idea, mrs. smith. thanks for the advice everyone!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I wouldn't do anything at the wedding, its not actually on her birthday.  If I were a guest I would find it weird and assume she had been a brat about it or something.  
  • Options

My parents got married on my aunt's birthday and i'm pretty sure they just said a sentence to her in one of the speeches and that was that.

I think if your sister was 5 it would be nice to do something but at 17 she is nearly a grown woman and i think she can deal :) But it is nice of you to think of her :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    My brother got married on my 20th birthday (18 years ago!  lol) ... and they had the band play happy birthday for me and made a big deal out of making sure everyone knew.

I've never been big on getting a lot of attention on my birthday, but it was pretty fun.  :-)
  • Options
    I'm getting married the day before my own birthday!  My FI and friends are making plans to celebrate my birthday at the after party, which could work for you if you are having one.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_moh-birthday-close-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:30076807-b3f8-44b6-ac87-f3d657b6895ePost:caaf5fbf-f37b-4159-82fd-f6a58e8084ab">Re: MOH birthday close to wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't do anything at the wedding, its not actually on her birthday.  If I were a guest I would find it weird and assume she had been a brat about it or something.  
    Posted by KatyRoseM[/QUOTE]

Honestly I agree with this. When it isn't actually "the day of" it would come across a bit strange if you celebrated her birthday at the wedding.
  • Options
    You could have a cake for her at your RD, which I'm assuming will just be family and close friends. That might be nice!

One of the GM's b-day is the day of our RD, so we're going to do something like that. I doubt he really cares, but I thought it would be fun.
  • Options
    One of my BMs's 30th birthday is my wedding day.  She is graciously giving up spending time with her family to come to the wedding, but she is excited about being around all of her (and my) best friends.  We are singing happy birthday to her and having a cake in her favorite flavor at the wedding - after the initial cake has been cut.  I feel like people will be dancing and there is no such thing as too much cake.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards