Catholic Weddings

Organist and cantor

We are getting married in a church that is OOT. We've met with the priest at the church but today we went to his mass for the first time. This will sound really bad but the organist/cantor was terrible! Like almost comical. The organ he used was not traditional and had a synthesizer/electric sound to it and he was a really bad singer. I don't know if he's the regular person they use. If he is the regular music person I would not want to use him but would not want to insult the church. Maybe he would be okay as the organist if I asked him not to use the electric sounding organ.

But anyways my question is do I need to use an organist and singer/cantor during the ceremony? Or can I just use him as the organist and have no singer? Or can I hire a different singer to come in? As well we wanted to hire a violinist to play the processional/recessional music. Is this allowed? I will definitely talk to my priest about all the music arrangements but I wanted to get some advice on this first about what's the norm and how to bring up this issue sensitively.

Re: Organist and cantor

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    You should check with the priest about musicians too.  We can have anyone we want play the piano but the church requires that we use their organist if we want the organ played at our wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rfelix14rfelix14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It will depend on your church. Ours let us bring in a steel pan band for the processional (I'm from Trinidad where it's common). A cantor is not required by the Church, but the musical director will typically have the final say. Typically, if you do not have a cantor, you will have to find someone to read the responsorial psalms, etc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Trini Bride
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we only used an organist.  we opted not to spend the money on a vocalist, since more often than not, they just arent taht good.

also, i let the organist pick all of the music out.  i figured this would be the best way to ensure that the sounds would sound great, since thery know whihc songs go best in which parts, and i doubted they'd pick songs they didnt know very well.
  • mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We have different organist and cantors at different masses.  We were able to choose from any of them.  We could also bring in other cantors if we wanted.  I would talk with the priest.  OUr priest reccomended another cantor that someone else had brought in for their wedding. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    A lot of churches require you to pay the organist and cantor even if you don't use them.  Hire your own cantor. etc and just pay the regular cantor too but tell him you won't need him.  
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure the church has more than one cantor, unless it's very small. We attend a very small church and they have multiple cantors. We got married in a church in our hometown and had the choice of musicians. We hired a pianist/vocalist and a cantor/guitar player. The cantor made arrangements for a violin duo to play during our mass as well, so we were able to have instrumental processional/recessional music. We paid all 4 musicians, obviously. Just talk to the priest or liturgy director at the church and they can let you know the options.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I met with the priest, he gave me a list of 3 organists that the church uses.  He said, "This guy is our normal guy, call him first.  If he can't do it for whatever reason, call these other two people."

I think you'd just have to talk to your priest and ask for a list of names.  We will not be having a cantor.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with pp's. Just check with your priest or deacon. At the church we got married in back in our home state, our music director was also the organist. She also met with us to discuss songs, etc for our wedding. I knew I wanted someone to cantor. One of the girls that sings regularly at church also does it for weddings, so we asked her. But our music director did give us a list of other people as well. She only charged us $50, and I think it was well worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards