New Hampshire

Looking for reviews- Puritan Backroom Manchester, NH

Hey guys! This is my first post (I normaly just stalk the community boards but never ask things myself lol) cause I couldn't find anybody else that has said anything about receptions at the Puritan Backroom in Manchester. I have eaten dinner here quite a few times, so I know the food is great. The meals start at $16pp and have some awesome cheap options... I really couldn't believe the prices! I am looking for an outdoor ceremony ($700 or under) in Manchester if I end up going with the backroom as the reception hall...so recommendations accepted! Anyways, has anybody had their reception at the backroom or have you even been to a function there for somebody? I would be having the reception in the "pappas and canotas rooms" because it can accomodate to 200 people and I am roughly estimating 150 or so. The wedding is too far away at this point to know exactly.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!!
126 Invited image
37 Ready to Rock! image
9 Party Poopers image
80 Can't find the mailbox imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Looking for reviews- Puritan Backroom Manchester, NH

• edited December 2011
    YUM!!!!  That is all I have to say
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just got back from eating there today, and my family has gone there before while scouting locations for my grandparents' anniversary party.  To be perfectly honest, neither I nor FI were incredibly impressed with the food - his fries were cold, and some of the lettuce in my side salad was wilted.  My mother also had a somewhat poor experience with mediocre food and an inattentive waitstaff.  However, I will also say that regardless, we have heard many fantastic reviews about the place, so perhaps we were just unlucky in our experiences. 
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    LOVE the chicken fingers!  I haven't attended any functions there.  I have only eaten in the restaurant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    A friend of mine booked for next month.  I only ever eat the chicken fingers so I don't know.

Have you looked at Fratello's?  They offer a little more than the backroom and its real yummy.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having my shower there next month!

As far as receptions, I went to a wedding there that was held in one room (the ceremony and reception).  They made it work because the guest list wasn't huge, but it wasn't my favorite.

The food for the cocktail hour was already laid out before the ceremony, but just covered in saran wrap.  So, some people weren't sure what that was about and began eating it.  One of the staff members soon had them scurry along and informed them it was for the cocktail hour.  Maybe I'm just picky, but I would think they should have waited to set it up to avoid confusion.

The food was okay at best.  I love the Puritan usually (chicken tenders--yum!), but for a wedding I would expect better than okay, you know?

Aside from those couple of things, it's not an all-around bad place and I'm sure the things I noted could be prevented (like passed hors d'oeurves instead of a station). 

(Sorry this is in all italics... TK won't let me not use it? haha... it's weird)
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I already know I like the food so that's not an issue. I have also heard some bad reviews about the waitstaff in the resteraunt, but I'm hoping they are more attentive and friendly when it comes to a wedding, or maybe just use their better staff? haha wishful thinking. The main thing is that it's INEXPENSIVE. I am not looking for the "best food" and the "prettiest venue"... I am looking for the best possible place I can afford...and this looks like it might be it. The only close thing we can come to affording other than this is renting a VFW and ordering outside catering (and even then, for the same prices I will be paying for the food at puritan, I can only afford hamburger and hotdog BBQ from outside catering. And trust me I have looked EVERYWHERE). And I really really really don't want it at a VFW. So Although the backroom might have small issues (I don't plan on having a cocktail hour- I really don't enjoy them myself, plus it won't fit into the budget. I think as long as I'm serving them a full meal, all is well lol)... I'm afraid it's the best we can do. I really hope I can speak to somebody who had actually held their own reception there...because she/he will know all the real underlining issues with the place, or lack-therof.
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and as for "Fratello's"...if I am remembering correctly, they're menu was much higher.. like more than double of Puritans options. Although they did look like a nice place and I have heard great things about receptions held there. Thanks for your input!
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
  • FireDancer04FireDancer04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Msowena - You don't have to have an open bar to have a cocktail hour.

I would also strongly consider having a cocktail hour. More than likely your guests will show up to the function hall before you get there. Having the hall open to your guests to put their things down and get a drink will be appreciated by your guests. Then your guests can be seated and ready when you make your entrance. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_looking-reviews-puritan-backroom-manchester-nh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:1f9a0fa0-625e-4e9b-af70-72bb6dfbd44bPost:52b160cd-7fde-4baa-9784-5e6344633bb5">Re: Looking for reviews- Puritan Backroom Manchester, NH</a>:
    [QUOTE]Msowena - You don't have to have an open bar to have a cocktail hour. I would also strongly consider having a cocktail hour. Posted by FireDancer04[/QUOTE]

This.  The "cocktail hour" I'm speaking of was just a cash bar and cheese/veggie station for while the bride/groom/wedding party were out taking pictures.
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't think it was an open bar. I was more or less talking about not serving hors d'oeuvres- mostly for cost reasons. If we have to budget these in then it will take away from having a classier dinner because we'll end up going a little cheaper on the dinner to make up for the hors d'oeuvres. We would rather not do that. We are seriously considering doing picture's before the ceremony anyways so that we can skip the part where our guests have to wait forever for our pictures to be taken (no offense to anyone, just our personal prefrence). At my cousins wedding they did the cocktail hour outside- well the cocktail hour turned into a cocktail 2hr and it got really chilly outside (not blaming her or anything, it was June!) and the reception hall...for whatever reason (maybe it was only 6 and the hall wasn't rented until 7 technically?) wasn't allowing us in yet. & most of the women were in sleevless dresses. And Yes there was food & a cash bar....but really I would have preferred to skip all of that if I could have just gone inside and got off my heels for a bit and been warm. I mean we had dinner not even an hour later...I think everyone would have been fine without the hors d'oeuvres. Especially since she didn't wait a long time to serve the dinner... which is my plan. Anyways... just wanted to explain what I meant. To each there own.
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
  • redvi01etredvi01et member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother and I hosted a surprise anniversary party (50 people) for our parents at the Puritan this past spring. We went with a lunch because it was way cheaper and just ordered cheese and crackers for beforehand. Everyone had fun, and actually liked the lunch better because it included chicken tenders, which the fancier dinners wouldn't have. We obviously didn't have other costs like dress, centerpieces, etc., but it was pretty affordable. The only complaint I had was I ordered a few pitchers of soda and they weren't very good at keeping them filled. I had to keep bugging the people working at the bar about it.

For the ceremony you could have it in Wagner Park (also known as Pretty Park). I forget who it is but there is someone on this board that has gorgeous pictures from their ceremony there. The only issue I heard about it was that you can't rent a tent or chairs or anything, so if you are having a longer ceremony or worried about rain that could be a problem.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for your input! I looked at the dinner menu and chicken fingers were actually on it lol. I'm not so sure about the park... I would maybe be willing to risk the no tent, but I really don't want my guests to have to stand through the whole ceremony (150ish guests). Plus- being a shorter person... I know I would be aggrevated that I couldn't see what was going on around the person in front of me lol

Thanks again!
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
  • ninnypooperninnypooper member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my rehearsal dinner at the Puritan and recently threw my sister's baby shower there.

We had no issues and I would recommend the place. I've never been to a reception there so maybe that would be a little different,

Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards