Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Beer and Sangria only?

So in trying to keep the cost of the venue/catering down (the venue wants a minimum of $100 pp), they gave us the bar option of beer and sangria instead of wine. Does anyone see any issue with this? I know everyone will not be a beer/sangria drinker, but at least they'll get something.  The venue may also let us do a cash bar if someone wants a glass of wine or a cocktail.

Re: Beer and Sangria only?

• Options
    SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're spending at least $100 pp, why can't you have a full bar or at least beer and wine? That seems a little silly to me that you would pay all that money per person and would still consider having a cash bar.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's better than a cash bar. How many beer choices are they offering? Is there any way you could negotiate something with that? Or get rid of an appetizer?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The price includes hors d'oeuvres,plated dinner and alcohol. I'm not sure how many beer choices there are because we don't drink beer, but we are going to finalize our contract this week.  I would like to negotiate for a lower per person charge but I'm not sure what they will be willing to compromise on.

So I have to ask...is it better to leave it at beer and sangria or give the option of cash bar??
  • Options
    SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have beer and wine instead of sangria. I love sangria but wouldn't want to drink it all night. Cash bars are usually frowned upon because a guest should never have to pull out their wallets at a wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd have to disagree with the op. I attended a wedding a couple years ago that served sangria and beer and had a cash bar. I was perfectly fine with it. I had a couple glasses and sangria and then purchased a couple drinks. I didn't see it as an issue and don't remember any other guests having an issue. It was a younger, fresh out of college crowd though which may have influenced.

On the other side, I went to a wedding that was the same style crowd and they had an open bar...That was a total sh*t show. I don't recommend even considering open bar unless your guests can handle it. We are but we have a classy mix of friends and mostly late 20's/30's who are past the days of raging in the frat house.
    Last Post 7/8 Leave for Paradise 7/9 Our Beach Wedding 7/13

Planning Bio
  • Options
    SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_beer-sangria-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:9f3aa178-3db9-4f2b-8514-edf2a9c9607dPost:a31ebc86-bb36-46a5-bdc2-f3262cfc9d03">Re: Beer and Sangria only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd have to disagree with the op. I attended a wedding a couple years ago that served sangria and beer and had a cash bar. I was perfectly fine with it. I had a couple glasses and sangria and then purchased a couple drinks. I didn't see it as an issue and don't remember any other guests having an issue. It was a younger, fresh out of college crowd though which may have influenced. On the other side, I went to a wedding that was the same style crowd and they had an open bar...That was a total sh*t show. I don't recommend even considering open bar unless your guests can handle it. <strong>We are but we have a classy mix of friends and mostly late 20's/30's who are past the days of raging in the frat house.</strong>
    Posted by Miracle520[/QUOTE]

You can't predict how people will handle their alcohol...no matter how "classy" your guests are. I've been to several black tie events where those classy guests were the ones throwing up and falling in the pool.

To have a cash bar simply to control your crowd's drinking isn't very smart. People will over drink no matter if they're paying for it or not. Personally, I'm not offended by cash bars but I wouldn't recommend having one.

OP, if a full bar (including liquor) isn't in your budget it is okay to just serve beer and wine. Try to avoid having a cash bar. Some guests may not think twice about it but others may give you the side eye.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does sangria go with the food you're serving?  If not, I definitely wouldn't just have beer and sangria.  I agree with SD that wine and beer and no cash liquor bar would be preferable, though.  If you don't like beer or don't know beer, I would get the list of beers that will be provided and run it by a friend or family-member that is a beer-drinker, so you can make sure you won't just be paying for (what some consider) crap and will get a nice assortment that will appeal to multiple tastes.  
  • Options
    TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ditto SD3194 on both posts.  I'd prefer beer and wine to beer and sangria, but beer and sangria is preferable to cash bar. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_beer-sangria-only?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:9f3aa178-3db9-4f2b-8514-edf2a9c9607dPost:3f5d7b42-6583-4cd7-b7a4-a4759cb0a339">Re: Beer and Sangria only?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto SD3194 on both posts.  I'd prefer beer and wine to beer and sangria, but beer and sangria is preferable to cash bar. 
    Posted by TEA&Co[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think wine would be a better choice than sangria. I just think more people would prefer it.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are doing Beer (variety), sangria, and wine. We thought that way they would have more of a variety. I definately wouldn't do a cash bar..

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think beer and sangria are fine but... I live in a high COL area. My wedding included cocktail hour passed hors d'oeuvres, a 3 course meal, beer, wine, well drinks/house liquor, valet parking, linens, tables, chairs, serving staff, tax and gratuity. And it was about $100 pp. I think you're getting ripped off.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards