Just Engaged and Proposals

After engagement- priest vs. vendor?

I just recently got engaged about a month and a half ago. My fiance and I talked about a tentative wedding date but I was just wondering: which is better to do FIRST, talk to our priest (catholic) or find the place of reception/vendor? I ask because I heard you shouldn't really set a date without consulting the priest first, but then again, I know you should select a vendor/reception asap to make sure the date is available. Suggestions? What did you do? Thanks.

Re: After engagement- priest vs. vendor?

• I would decide on the season you want to get married first then go to your priest and see what's available.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • FI and I wanted to get married on Saint Patty's Day which falls during lent.  We talked to the priest before we booked and they wouldn't do it so moral of the story is talk to the priest first.  In the end we opted to get married at the venue though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Definitely discuss with your Priest first, they are very busy and may not be able to perform a wedding on the date you want.
  • We definitely talked to our priest first, because it was more important that he marry us than anything else.  He was available on the date we chose, and that's when we started talking to venues.
    Anniversary

PersonalMilestone

Dancin' Shoes
  • We've been looking at venues and checking the availability on those that we like; but we're not booking anything for the reception until we have our church date finalized with the priest.  He'll probably want to meet with you first to give you the "okay" and perhaps confirm your date so I'd do that ASAP.

I got engaged in August, had a first "getting to know you" meeting with my priest in early October, but haven't set an official date yet bc our wedding is still pretty far away, April 2012 (he doesn't have any weddings that far in advanced yet!).  We're planning from out of town and we're actually still looking at venues since we have so much time to plan.  In Decemeber, we're going to meet with my priest again to do that compatability assessment, and we'll probably finalize our date then.
  • It's best to talk to the priest first and at least map out a couple dates when he can do it before finding a reception venue.  Most priests expect that you will consult them first and may get upset that you essentially booked the big party before you ironed out the details of the most important part of the day (the actual ceremony).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • First I got a few options from my priest (we planned a March wedding 18 months in advance so everday was available) then called to book the venue and then called the priest back to confirm one day.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • Priest first would make things easier. We did it the other way, but since our wedding is 18 months out it worked out fine.

Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks so much everyone! We'll definitely call to make an appointment with the priest first. =) I'm so excited to get started on our planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards