Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Tanning before a cruise?

I'm going on a cruise for the first time in June. I'm a very, very pale person. I usually wear at least an SPF50 when I'm going to be outside. Whenever I get any "color", I pretty much turn bright red, and then fade back to white immediately (No "tan" transition).

A few of my friends are telling me I really should go tanning before the cruise. Most of them say it's because I'm going to just "look funny" being in the Bahamas and pale ... but a few have suggested it might make my skin less sensitive to the sun, because I'll have more pigment in it. Is there any truth to this?

What do you ladies recommend?

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

Re: Tanning before a cruise?

• Options
    No truth to it at all. You will be at a higher risk for melanoma in a tanning bed than your less fair skinned friends. Don't worry about looking odd....bodies come in all shapes, colors, and sizes. I would recommend maybe sitting outside with sunscreen a few mins a day before going on your cruise just to get some color if that will make you feel better.
  • Options
    I had a feeling it was complete bs, and people were just looking to get me to tan. Being pale has actually never really bothered me, but for some reason, a lot of people seem to think I'd be happier with that "healthy glow" (You know, the one that puts you a risk for skin cancer Undecided). Everybody that's been pushing it on me does tan, so naturally they think it's what's best for everybody else, lol.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    I'm in the same pale colored boat as you! I'm thinking about getting a spray tan this summer to help look less ghostly and hoping it looks good that I can do it for my wedding too. So maybe try a spray tan? But only if YOU really want to! Otherwise, just put on that sunscreen and enjoy your cruise!!
  • Options
    A tanning bed is not going to make your skin less sensitive to the sun. You're just going to pay for a burn. Hehe. There is no such thing as a base tan or any of that nonsense. As a pale girl who was born and raised in Florida, I agree with MyWedding13's advice: sunscreen and a few minutes of sun a day just for a little color. Really though, no one will care that you're pale and you shouldn't either!
  • Options
    I recommend SPF 9000 and a good wide-brimmed hat.

As a redhead who prettymuch avoids the sun, it's the best way to go.  I'm already stocking up on massive amounts of sunscreen for our cruise honeymoon, and will try to avoid the middle-of-the-day sun.  It's the absolute worst for your skin.

As an added benefit, you will look better as you get older--most generally put me at least 10 years younger than I am.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    As someone that actually works in the tanning industry, and has for 6 years, I can tell you that a base tan actually is a real thing unlike what megkbush says. Your body produces melanin, which is what tans your skin. Tanning in a tanning bed for about 5 minutes a couple times a week will start building a base tan for you. Tanning does not cause melanoma, BURNING causes it. And you will burn on a cruise if you have no base tan. Simple fact.

If you look into the research, those with melanoma are people that work indoors and are rarely exposed to the sun. This is because they burn, which causes damage to the cells.

As long as you aren't tanning everyday for 20 minutes, and are doing it in a responsible manner (ie, following the manufacturers recommended tanning schedule posted on the bed, which for you, since you seem to be a skin type 1 or 2, would be the minimum time required to turn the bed on, 3 minutes, your first time), you reduce your risk of burning in the sun.

People that have absolutely no education on tanning and the benefits vs. the harm irritate the crap out of me. I am in the tanning industry and the health industry, so I see both arguments all the time. Even dermatologists recommend tanning for patients with acne and other skin conditions, so it obvisouly isn't as terrible as everyone makes it out to be.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_tanning-before-cruise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:b50ad6e5-792a-4f7d-a85f-4eafc5c6b1a9Post:dff8fb03-672c-4a3b-8e78-e6838749f007">Re: Tanning before a cruise?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As someone that actually works in the tanning industry, and has for 6 years, I can tell you that a base tan actually is a real thing unlike what megkbush says. Your body produces melanin, which is what tans your skin. Tanning in a tanning bed for about 5 minutes a couple times a week will start building a base tan for you. Tanning does not cause melanoma, BURNING causes it. And you will burn on a cruise if you have no base tan. Simple fact. If you look into the research, those with melanoma are people that work indoors and are rarely exposed to the sun. This is because they burn, which causes damage to the cells. As long as you aren't tanning everyday for 20 minutes, and are doing it in a responsible manner (ie, following the manufacturers recommended tanning schedule posted on the bed, which for you, since you seem to be a skin type 1 or 2, would be the minimum time required to turn the bed on, 3 minutes, your first time), you reduce your risk of burning in the sun. People that have absolutely no education on tanning and the benefits vs. the harm irritate the crap out of me. I am in the tanning industry and the health industry, so I see both arguments all the time. Even dermatologists recommend tanning for patients with acne and other skin conditions, so it obvisouly isn't as terrible as everyone makes it out to be.
    Posted by SarahF20[/QUOTE]

Please show me your sources for your information.  I cannot believe this.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    Scary to think of the misinformation people spread claiming to be "experts."

Any change in color to your skin is a sign of damage- not just a burn. Having a little color on your skin will not prevent a burn- a sunburn will happen if you stay in the sun too long regardless of the color of your skin. Tan people burn, too. No one is saying getting a little bit of sun is terrible, but pale skin is more than fine- to say someone will feel uncomfortable or "look funny" because of their skin color is ridiculous.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tanning/AN00589

http://news.consumerreports.org/health/2010/08/indoor-tanning-bed-health-risks-the-myth-of-the-base-tan-preventing-skin-cancer.html

http://www.newsweek.com/2008/06/26/does-a-base-tan-protect-you-from-sunburn.html

• Options

who cares what anyone else thinks?  the way i see it (i'm also a very fair skinned person) is that i'm going to look much better when i'm 70 than those people who tan. 

since i do like a little color, i put on spf 8, go outside for about 15 - 30 minutes in the early daytime.  i've gotten some color - but no one is ever going to mistake me for tan.  i think i've gotten myself up to my FI's color when he's completely un-tan.  :)

• Options
    I'm a red head and tanning before I go to the Virgin Islands for my honeymoon.  I started out very slowly (5 minutes at a time) and am working up by adding a couple minutes each week.  I do not burn in the tanning bed.  I know from experience that by gradually working on building up a tan I do not burn when exposed to exteme sunlight (like I will be on my honeymoon).  I understand the risks, but I weighed the risks and would much rather spend the money on a base tan now than pay for it with a severe sunburn on my honeymoon.  And yes, I do plan on wearing SPF 9000 and wearing a hat on my honeymoon, however, being closer the the equator than I am used to (Oregon - VI) I know the UV rays are going to be much stronger and will still get me! 
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_tanning-before-cruise?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:b50ad6e5-792a-4f7d-a85f-4eafc5c6b1a9Post:789f18ac-bb1e-4e16-bcb3-3c9309a6ea9b">Re: Tanning before a cruise?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a red head and tanning before I go to the Virgin Islands for my honeymoon.  I started out very slowly (5 minutes at a time) and am working up by adding a couple minutes each week.  I do not burn in the tanning bed.  I know from experience that by gradually working on building up a tan I do not burn when exposed to exteme sunlight (like I will be on my honeymoon).  I understand the risks, but I weighed the risks and would much rather spend the money on a base tan now than pay for it with a severe sunburn on my honeymoon.  And yes, I do plan on wearing SPF 9000 and wearing a hat on my honeymoon, however, being closer the the equator than I am used to (Oregon - VI) I know the UV rays are going to be much stronger and will still get me! 
    Posted by Leah&JP[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>As a follow redhead, PLEASE watch this:</div><div><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jgUcxMezM" rel='nofollow'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4jgUcxMezM</a></div><div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards