Plus-Sized
Options

First time dress shopping

Hello ladies! I'm going dress shopping for the very first time this week.  Do you have any advice or tips for my first bridal appointment?  I'm a little nervous because I'm going to two stores: a plus size specialty store and David's Bridal.   I'm terrified of falling for the "look" of a dress but not being able to try it on because the sample is too small.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa

Re: First time dress shopping

• Options
    The second time I went the lady brought it dresses that were like size 2 wow wow wow. No lol. I would hold them up to me and I couldn't even imagine what they would look like on me. So the store I actually went to and bought my dress she could get me into small sizes wit using clips. My advice is stay away from smaller sizes. If that store doesn't have a sample size that fits you. You could always go somewhere else and see.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard great things about a newer shop in Mt.Lebanon called Koda Bridal.  You might want to call them and see what they have.
  • Options
    The best thing you can do is make the consultant aware that you want to try on dresses that are plus-sized.  I told my consultant straight up that I didn't want to see anything that was just going to make me feel huge.  Lol.  Luckily I chose a store specifically because they had bigger samples.  She brought all samples that fit and it was wonderful and she was so sweet.  I think at DB and a plus sized store you will be in good hands. 
    Other advice is wear spanx (or at least granny panties!) for extra coverage....for me that provided some cover so the consultant wasn't able to see my booty while she was helping me into gowns.  Also, bring a hair tie so you can pull your hair up if you want....don't bring a ton of people, because it can be really hard if you think you have to please everyone.
    Good luck and have fun!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A good consultant won't bring you anything you can't at least slip on.   You may not be able to zip it (at all! haha) but she shouldn't be bringing you anything SO small.  ditto PP to take your undies into consideration when getting ready for the day.  I actually managed to get all of mine on myself and just had to come out to be zipped up or whatever, but just in case you don't want to be wearing a thong. 

Other than that just try to have fun with it and don't dismiss something just because of a preconceived notion - you may be really surprised by what you like and don't like when you actually put it on!  I went in thinking I wanted a satin, sleek, off the shoulder dress.  I came out with a lace and beaded all over v-neck!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I bought my dress at David's Bridal and at first I was skeptical to go just because of the horror stories I had heard about that place but my consultant was WONDERFUL. She was so nice, and we ended up booking appointments with her for our BM dresses and my FG's dress. I agree that if they are a good consultant they won't bring you anything that won't fit. I only tried on one dress that didn't zip all the way and it was only a size too small so it didn't make a huge difference to the look of it. I also went to a different shop first and they put me in either really small dresses or really BIG dresses and after that experience I was DONE with dress shopping because I was so frusterated I wanted to cry. But then I met my consultant at DB and it was a great experience! As soon as my consultant met me she shook my hand, looked at me, and said "I have the PERFECT dress for you." and I ended up picking the one she picked!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Im also going this weekend for the first time and in addition to the PP tips of: wearing good panties, keep your group small and bring people who are going to HELP not be jealous or otherwise unhelpful, bring a hair tie, and remember to dress for YOU I've also learned to pack some water and a snack bar or two-getting in and out of long heavy dresses and putting on a show is a workout. And keep an open mind! Unless you've worna wedding dress before you really don't know what's going to look good on you until it's on! 

Sloger I an hoping I have your experience!!! That sounds So wonderful!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I also had a good experience at David's.  My advice is to keep an open mind, as some dresses look completely different on than on the hanger.  Like OP, I had 2 appointments- -  one and Davids and another at a fancy bridal store that had a plus size department.  I actually only went to David's first thinking that I would try on some different shaped dresses to narrow it down for when I went to the fancier bridal store. 

But I had an amazing experience at Davids; my consultant was great and I could zip all the dresses I tried on.  At my local Davids, it was NOT a "say yes to the dress" experience (my MOH was helping me try on dresses because my consultant was helping another bride at the same time), but that was OK because they told me that when I was booking the appointment.  

Don't let anyone pressure you to "buy it that day" if you are not 100% or if you simply want to see what else is out there.  I loved one of the dresses at Davids, but I hadn't seen the stuff at the other store yet.  So I told my consultant at Davids that I had another appointment and she was really cool about it, she just told me "great - we are open til 6pm if you want to come back and see that dress again."  I ended up trying on dresses at the fancier store, but they didn't compare to the one I fell in love with at Davids, so I went back to buy it.   I was glad I went to the second store and no one at David's pressured me to buy it immediately.  Take your time.  Oh, and bring water because those dresses get hot and you'll be thirsty!
    Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    des9724des9724 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    Thanks ladies for your wonderful advice! I'm so grateful for it! The granny panties, snacks, and small group idea were life-savers!  I went to Koda Bridal, a plus-size specialty store, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience.  The ladies were so accommodating and I actually fit in all of the dresses!  I went to David's earlier and I couldn't find a dress I could actually try on so I left in tears.  Koda was awesome, and I feel beautiful... and, dare I say, sexy!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

~Melissa
  • Options
    what most people dont know is the salon can get the gowns for you on loan from the designer in a bigger size  go online and look at different gowns/ designers find out what salons carry the gowns email the deisgner and ask them if they have the gowns in bigger sizes ( most do beacuse klinfeilds carrys plus sizes in almost all the designers on sample. have them send over a few dresses for you to try on at your local salon. i would call them first to see if they have the gowns in your size and if not ask them if they can have the designer send over larger sizes for you to try on 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards