Military Brides
Options

What are you reading??

Re: What are you reading??

• Options
    I know I've mentioned these two before, but if you haven't read them, I HIGHLY recommend both!  (The titles are clicky)

The Sky Burial by Xinran 
    -
    a biography about a woman named Shu Wen, who had been married to her husband had been married for only a few months in the 1950s when he joined the Chinese army and was sent to Tibet for the purpose of unification of the two countries. Shortly after he left she was notified that he had been killed, although no details were given. Determined to find the truth, Shu Wen joined a militia unit going to the Tibetan north, where she soon was separated from the regiment. Without supplies and knowledge of the language, she wandered, trying to find her way until, on the brink of death, she was rescued by a family of nomads under whose protection she moved from place to place with the seasons and eventually came to discover the details of her husband’s death.

In the haunting Sky Burial, Xinran has recreated Shu Wen’s journey, writing beautifully and simply of the silence and the emptiness in which Shu Wen was enveloped. The book is an extraordinary portrait of a woman and a land, each at the mercy of fate and politics. It is an unforgettable, ultimately uplifting tale of love loss, loyalty, and survival.

And:

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See -
    In 1937, Shanghai is the Paris of Asia, a city of great wealth and glamour, the home of millionaires and beggars, gangsters and gamblers, patriots and revolutionaries, artists and warlords. Thanks to the financial security and material comforts provided by their father’s prosperous rickshaw business, twenty-one-year-old Pearl Chin and her younger sister, May, are having the time of their lives. Though both sisters wave off authority and tradition, they couldn’t be more different: Pearl is a Dragon sign, strong and stubborn, while May is a true Sheep, adorable and placid. Both are beautiful, modern, and carefree . . . until the day their father tells them that he has gambled away their wealth and that in order to repay his debts he must sell the girls as wives to suitors who have traveled from California to find Chinese brides.

As Japanese bombs fall on their beloved city, Pearl and May set out on the journey of a lifetime, one that will take them through the Chinese countryside, in and out of the clutch of brutal soldiers, and across the Pacific to the shores of America. In Los Angeles they begin a fresh chapter, trying to find love with the strangers they have married, brushing against the seduction of Hollywood, and striving to embrace American life even as they fight against discrimination, brave Communist witch hunts, and find themselves hemmed in by Chinatown’s old ways and rules.

At its heart, Shanghai Girls is a story of sisters: Pearl and May are inseparable best friends who share hopes, dreams, and a deep connection, but like sisters everywhere they also harbor petty jealousies and rivalries. They love each other, but each knows exactly where to drive the knife to hurt the other the most. Along the way they face terrible sacrifices, make impossible choices, and confront a devastating, life-changing secret, but through it all the two heroines of this astounding new novel hold fast to who they are–Shanghai girls.

From the Hardcover edition.

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm reading James Patterson's Women's Murder Mystery Club Series. I am on 7 of 9 or 10. They are titled with the number it in (ie. First Degree, Fourth of July etc.) I usually can get through two while on vacations (flying and laying out).

Before that I read The Help which was a slow start but ended up being okay. I'll probably start the "Girl with a Dragon Tattoo" series after our HM.
  • Options
    I think you already read the series, but I'm on "Mockingjay," the 3rd and last of the "Hunger Games" series.
  • Options
    I like James Patterson. I think I read 4th of July a while ago so maybe I can start with 5. Cal- yours sound interesting. I just downloaded my last brad Meltzer book. I'm bummed it's my last one
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d214a3b6-1a34-4710-addf-119f3c0113e4Post:3cbb8c65-452a-45d3-843d-4aba95c398f4">Re: What are you reading??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like James Patterson. I think I read 4th of July a while ago so maybe I can start with 5. Cal- yours sound interesting. I just downloaded my last brad Meltzer book. I'm bummed it's my last one
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

I really like his work, although the majority of his novels now are co-author-ed. I was following Alex Cross but then I stopped and there are a ton now that I should probably start catching up on. 
  • Options
    Shan, I love the Alex Cross series, too!  I should get back on that one.  I finished the Janet Evonovich "Stephanie Plum" series up to now.  I need another series!!!

Seriously, "Sky Burial" was a book I was required to read during a fall break while studying abroad in China.  Everyone was really pissed we had to read it, and planned for skim it.  Except once we started reading, we could not put it down!  I swear to you, on a bus of 35 people, 20 of us were assigned that book and on one 12 hour drive day in a bus in rural China, none of us got off the bus for any of the stops because we were so engrossed in that book!  It was incredible.

Anniversary

• Options
    I just finished Jaycee dugard's book. I finished it in one day. 

And now I'm reading Skinny bitch bun in the oven
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • Options
    Hike- Since you're getting ready to move down south, you could try "Between, Georgia" by Joshilyn Jackson.  She also wrote "The Girl who stopped swiming" and "Backseat Saints"(I just started this one) and I think all her stuff is AMAZING!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Kendall- I wasn't going to write back but I feel like I need to put this out there. I think it's really inconsiderate that you posted a pregnancy book on my what should I read thread knowing I haven't been able to get pregnant.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d214a3b6-1a34-4710-addf-119f3c0113e4Post:0ffce164-9880-4c1f-9c0f-030ae3888996">Re: What are you reading??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just finished Jaycee dugard's book. I finished it in one day.  And now I'm reading Skinny bitch bun in the oven
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]

Fail... you know before this move Hike was trying her hardest to get pregnant?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d214a3b6-1a34-4710-addf-119f3c0113e4Post:1798c088-009c-4135-927a-9fff0018861a">Re: What are you reading??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kendall- I wasn't going to write back but I feel like I need to put this out there. I think it's really inconsiderate that you posted a pregnancy book on my what should I read thread knowing I haven't been able to get pregnant.

I'm glad you addressed this, I had to when I saw her post. Please continue to ignore her. :(
  • Options
    Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I was thinking that, Hike, but didn't want to say something :( ETA: I loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain" it's told from a dog's perspective. I basked several times but it's a great book. I've been in a testy mood so I might read it again to get it out of my system. ETA #2: I bawled not basked. Stupid iPhone. And again ETA: I've been teary not testy. I freaking hate autocorrect.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that lameness. Sammy- I read the art of racing in the rain! Great freaking book. One of my all time favorites.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad you said something too Hike... Seriously inconsiderate Kendall.

Has anyone read "The Devil in the White City?"
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Ditto ladies! I love Dorthea Benton Frank (I always get her name confused) but she is good.
  • Options
    I love anything by Jodi Picoult.  A majority of them are about somewhat ethical/controversial issues so it really makes you see them from a different perspective and think about things.  She has a bunch to choose from!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d214a3b6-1a34-4710-addf-119f3c0113e4Post:0ffce164-9880-4c1f-9c0f-030ae3888996">Re: What are you reading??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just finished Jaycee dugard's book. I finished it in one day.  And now I'm reading Skinny bitch bun in the oven
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]

I get recommending the Jayce Dugard book, but you really come back to throw the fact that you're pregnant in Hike and everyone else's face?  Really low blow, Kendall.  Or thoughtless.  Either way, not very mature.

Anniversary

• Options
    KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d214a3b6-1a34-4710-addf-119f3c0113e4Post:1798c088-009c-4135-927a-9fff0018861a">Re: What are you reading??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kendall- I wasn't going to write back but I feel like I need to put this out there. I think it's really inconsiderate that you posted a pregnancy book on my what should I read thread knowing I haven't been able to get pregnant.
    Hike I'm so sorry. :/ I wasn't thinking when I posted. I'm really really sorry :[ I feel really bad. 
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • Options
    Hike I heart you.

And also I am reading, Chris Bohjalian's Night Strangers. It's a ghost story. He has written several other books that I love (The Double Bind, Skeletons at the Feast). 

I am also reading that Cleopatra book that Irish has talked about. I had heard about it before, and then when I went to visit my parents, my mom had it so I took it haha.

I am also reading Matterhorn by Karl Malantes, its a novel about the Vietnam War so I expect it to be depressing and I am taking it slow and reading it in between the other books. 

My next book will be Catherine the Great by Robert Massie. 
  • Options
    Oh geez Gg please tell me you're finding cleopatra as dry as I am!! I had such high hopes for it. I downloaded the free sample of my book Clubs new choice: destiny of the republic. It's nonfiction about Pres Garfield and the big world expo just. Before the turn of the century. So far it's really good!!
  • Options
    Hey Irish... Is that book non-fiction?  I have to do a book report for American History and it can be any part of history from 1877-now.  I'm thinking possibly a biography of Jackie O, or maybe Flags of our Fathers.. idk.. It's too broad a range to pick from!!! 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In harms way! It's about the USS Indianaop
  • Options
    Ahhh stupid phone. USS Indianapolis. I can't remember who wrote it but it was really good.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d214a3b6-1a34-4710-addf-119f3c0113e4Post:3ac4aed9-3314-4e7b-84bf-75ca1233c1ac">Re: What are you reading??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey Irish... Is that book non-fiction?  I have to do a book report for American History and it can be any part of history from 1877-now.  I'm thinking possibly a biography of Jackie O, or maybe Flags of our Fathers.. idk.. It's too broad a range to pick from!!! 
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]
    Yeah non-fiction. Let me find a linky to it. <a href="http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/destiny-of-the-republic-candice-millard/1101890018?ean=9780385526265&itm=1&usri=destiny+of+the+republic+by+candice+millard" rel="nofollow">Clicky</a><div>
    </div><div>Another really interesting non fiction book around the same time period is "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larsen about the World's Fair in Chicago and the first US serial killer. </div>
  • Options
    Irish!! Great minds think alike!! That was the other book I was considering actually!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d214a3b6-1a34-4710-addf-119f3c0113e4Post:bc1efd76-2848-4fb7-b094-05be1bbdae16">Re: What are you reading??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Irish!! Great minds think alike!! That was the other book I was considering actually!!
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]
    Its REALLY interesting. Tons of fun history but enough of a "plot line" to keep it easy reading. Let me know if you read it and we can discuss :)
  • Options
    Irish, I think I'll read that one next!  Sounds interesting.  Back to the book club perhaps now that the holidays are over?

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_reading-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d214a3b6-1a34-4710-addf-119f3c0113e4Post:25267610-5b02-426e-8a6d-ecfd653d1494">Re: What are you reading??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Irish, I think I'll read that one next!  Sounds interesting.  Back to the book club perhaps now that the holidays are over?
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]
    Oh yeah, absolutely! I'll discuss it if you read it!! 
  • Options
    I just bought Mindy Kaling's new book, "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And other concerns)" I hope it's hiliarious. :)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards