Ohio-Columbus
Options

Vintage brides please help!

We are having our ceremony at the Browning Amphitheater at OSU, right next to Mirror Lake next Fall. Our reception is at the Clintonville Women's Club which has the perfect quaint, vintage feel. I wanted timeless, elegant, and classic.

I am in need of:

1. Vintage car, or a Rolls, etc.
2. Veil ideas. My dress is antique gold, any ideas on where to special order one?
3. Do I do a veil, or a side-feathery hair piece? Can I do both and wear the hair piece for just the reception?
4. Flowers. What says 'vintage" to you when you're thinking about boquets? I am not completely sold on using flowers. I looked into brooch boquets but don't think I'm artsy enough to pull it off on my own.
5. Lace bollero/jacket for the ceremony. Thoughts?
6. If anyone has a ton of antique gold-colored china please let me know. I know it's a stretch, but worth asking.

My dress: http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=vogue&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=15&style=A3112LT

Thank you for ideas and suggestions!
Anniversary

Re: Vintage brides please help!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not too much help here, my apologies, but you might want to check out www.etsy.com for the veil issue. 

I've been on a vintage car search for awhile now and have yet to find anything beyond Cardinal Transportation. http://www.cardinaltransportationltd.com/

Wishing you the best of luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    BCsGalBCsGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I wore a  hair flower and a veil for my ceremony - I thought it looked great!  Definitely try etsy to find some vintage stuff.  I think maybe all white flowers have a vintage look or some type of "poofy" flowers like peonies or garden roses. 

Christina & Brandon - August 7, 2010 Anniversary
    My Planning Bio | My Married Bio | FOR SALE!
  • Options
    sep72fendrsep72fendr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Vintage brides please help!:
    [QUOTE 1. Vintage car, or a Rolls, etc. 2. Veil ideas. My dress is antique gold, any ideas on where to special order one? 3. Do I do a veil, or a side-feathery hair piece? Can I do both and wear the hair piece for just the reception? 4. Flowers. What says 'vintage" to you when you're thinking about boquets? I am not completely sold on using flowers. I looked into brooch boquets but don't think I'm artsy enough to pull it off on my own. 5. Lace bollero/jacket for the ceremony. Thoughts? 6. If anyone has a ton of antique gold-colored china please let me know.
    Posted by KellyRVT[/QUOTE]

1. People around here always talk about Mark Hagans (I think that's his name) you can find him on the internet, but his site doesn't say anything about car rental. You need to e-mail him or call him to get that information.

2. www.somethingbold.com has a lot really unique birdcage styles as well as fascinators with feathers and jewels (very glam). Also www.tigerlillyjewelry.com has hairpieces and veils.

3. If you are doing vintage glam, I think you should go the birdcage route and could totally pull of whatever type of fascinator that you think would fit your dress best. If you could find a crystal fasinator that's mounted in "gold" (or a gold looking metal) it could compliment your dress perfectly.

4. For vintage, you really do want to probably stick with an offwhite/champagne color flower with lots of texture. Peonies would be perfect, only problem is that they are out of season in September and would either be impossible to find or SUPER expensive to get. Dalias and ranunculus are great textured flowers that could help give that feeling.

5. I think for a bolero, (depending on budget) Enzoani has some beautiful pieces. You could also check out etsy as well to see if someone could make one. I think a long sleeved lace bolero with a mock high collared neck would be beautiful.

6. I has no china. :-(

Hope this helps!
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-columbus_vintage-brides-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:112Discussion:00b00808-3d85-4f6f-a3d0-bc185785224fPost:2c1b2a04-4c37-4f47-b97d-56715b8b5a43">Re: Vintage brides please help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Vintage brides please help! : [QUOTE 1. Vintage car, or a Rolls, etc. 2. Veil ideas. My dress is antique gold, any ideas on where to special order one? 3. Do I do a veil, or a side-feathery hair piece? Can I do both and wear the hair piece for just the reception? 4. Flowers. What says 'vintage" to you when you're thinking about boquets? I am not completely sold on using flowers. I looked into brooch boquets but don't think I'm artsy enough to pull it off on my own. 5. Lace bollero/jacket for the ceremony. Thoughts? 6. If anyone has a ton of antique gold-colored china please let me know. Posted by KellyRVT[/QUOTE] 1. People around here always talk about Mark Hagans (I think that's his name) you can find him on the internet, but his site doesn't say anything about car rental. You need to e-mail him or call him to get that information. 2. <a href="http://www.somethingbold.com" rel='nofollow'>www.somethingbold.com</a> has a lot really unique birdcage styles as well as fascinators with feathers and jewels (very glam). Also <a href="http://www.tigerlillyjewelry.com" rel='nofollow'>www.tigerlillyjewelry.com</a> has hairpieces and veils. 3. If you are doing vintage glam, I think you should go the birdcage route and could totally pull of whatever type of fascinator that you think would fit your dress best. If you could find a crystal fasinator that's mounted in "gold" (or a gold looking metal) it could compliment your dress perfectly. 4. For vintage, you really do want to probably stick with an offwhite/champagne color flower with lots of texture. Peonies would be perfect, only problem is that they are out of season in September and would either be impossible to find or SUPER expensive to get. Dalias and ranunculus are great textured flowers that could help give that feeling. 5. I think for a bolero, (depending on budget) Enzoani has some beautiful pieces. You could also check out etsy as well to see if someone could make one. I think a long sleeved lace bolero with a mock high collared neck would be beautiful. 6. I has no china. :-( Hope this helps!
    Posted by sep72fendr[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking peonies as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also know that Alan Ray Bridal will custom make your veil for you. He did mine and listened to exactly what I wanted. My dress was sort of vintage 1920's inspired couture gown. Pics in my bio. Alan Ray also has veils that he has made for sell, so you could always go in and take a look at those and if you like bits and pieces of one, he could take your idea and make you one. I will say that mine was pretty expensive, but it was worth it IMO bc it was exactly what I wanted and matched my dress perfectly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gardenias are a popular vintage flower. I, myself, will probably be using peonies, gardenias, and calla lillies. Bird cage veils are an adorable vintage option; get a fascinator that you attach separate so after the ceremony you can remove the veil. The jacket idea is cute - and your dress is GORGEOUS! I definitely agree with the idea of lace since you're aiming for a vintage look. What era, exactly, are you going for? I'm not so sure about vintage cars, because my dad restores old cars as a hobby and I'll be using one of his :)
    What mama? I'm an artist :)Painting
    -8 months old-
  • Options
    ggeenniiggeennii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry - this is random and not really helpful to you, but I had a question!  When is your wedding?  We were originally having our ceremony at Browning as well but a few months ago they emailed me and said that it would be under construction during May (when our wedding is).  My fiance and I met like 50 feet from there so it was the perfect place and I was so sad when the cancelled on us!

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards