Iowa-Des Moines

Scottish Rite

Anyone ever had their wedding at the Scottish Rite?  or been to one there?

Re: Scottish Rite

• edited December 2011
    i've been in there! not for a wedding but i took a tour a month ago and it is a beautiful place!
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen events there before and have heard great things about them! It's very beautiful inside!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    scottish rite is beautiful. there are things to consider though -
    who is doing your food?
    do you have the $$ in budget for chair covers - last time i was there they were an ugly blue "pleather."

also - scottish rite kitchens are FILTHY. plus they charge to use them. make sure you get a caterer who has hotboxes and will not have to use the facilities otherwise you will have to pay extra.

the reason i say the kitchen is filthy is because i worked at a wedding there (for a caterer) and we went to preheat things in the oven and took out a tray of moldy potatoes. i've heard from numerous coordinators and caterers that the kitchens are disgusting.
  • edited December 2011
    I just had my ceremony there in June and Loved it. Everyone is still talking about how cool the place was and historic. The only down fall is that the third floor is not air conditioned, but with the fans it was not that bad.
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I toured the Scottish Rite about 2 weeks ago and while we thought it was a beautiful space, I believe that for the money you are paying, there are better options downtown.  My mom & I also noticed a musty smell when we entered the building not in the actual 2nd or 3rd floors, which I know it's an old one and I definitely appreciate older buildings (love them in fact) it was just an observation I thought I'd share.  

I do know a girl who is having her wedding there next year and is very happy with it.  Ultimately it wasn't even a consideration for us because we had to change our date and it wasn't available.  

I did like the fact that they allowed you to bring in your own catering, I haven't found many places like that.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards