Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Name Change - Please help!!

I'm not sure where to get started on my name change. When I did a search online, I couldn't tell which sites were legit and which just wanted to collect my personal information. I've seen ads for MissNowMrs.com, but has anyone used it?

I have no idea what I'm doing, so any info or advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Name Change - Please help!!

• You should go to SS office first. Then go to banks, call up credit card companies, change any subscriptions you have (magazines, amazon, living social, etc.,) and local business info. When you get your new SS card you can usually change things through HR and with the DMV. That's how I've been doing it anyway and it's been pretty painless. I started the process about two weeks ago. I'd be completely done today but we're moving soon and I'm waiting to change my driver's license so I can get the right address on it too.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I did the DMV then SS office then banks. No need to pay for a service.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hey Megan,

So what you need to do first... find your local social security office and go there with your drivers license(old name) and your marriage certificae.  You can fill out the form online or print it and fill it out ( http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/315/~/change-a-name-on-a-social-security-card )  Then after you go there, you can go to the DMV, you dont need to wait until you have your social security card.  Then from there you will be able to go anywhere else you need to go....  Its much much cheaper to do the running around yourself than to pay for a packet to do it for you.  hope this helps!!
  • I am in the process of doing mine, I was told you do SS first then the DMV, then credit cards, ect. 
  • Social Security first... they will give you a slip for change of name which you can take to the DMV.  From there bank, credit cards etc... It seems like alot of work, but its really not enough work to pay to have it done.  GL :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-please-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:bea2a3c2-3f9b-405f-a0e9-9b407df596f4Post:b95c54aa-e170-4a9d-b36a-439ba91562f2">Re: Name Change - Please help!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]You should go to SS office first. Then go to banks, call up credit card companies, change any subscriptions you have (magazines, amazon, living social, etc.,) and local business info. When you get your new SS card you can usually change things through HR and with the DMV. That's how I've been doing it anyway and it's been pretty painless. I started the process about two weeks ago. I'd be completely done today but we're moving soon and I'm waiting to change my driver's license so I can get the right address on it too.
    Posted by random4180[/QUOTE]

This is good advice, since rules vary state to state as far as documentation needed (for example, I learned that in other states you automatically get a certified copy of your marriage license, but in WA state you have to go buy it from the courthouse), but bottom line is, the online name change services are a rip off, when it's not that hard to do yourself.  Save your money for something more worthwhile.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2012
    It's an ongoing process. I have found that for pretty much everything, I've needed a certified copy of my marriage certificate as well.

There's always strange things that happen...for example, I've had the same bank account since I was in high school (I didn't know that my mom is a "co-owner" of it, or whatever...) and I couldn't change my name on it without her permission!! It was kind of funny, since I'm 28 years old...
  • Why would you pay for a service?  Can't you just google or call up your accounts and see what they need to change your name?

• Well I'm not sure what the laws are in your state, but I live in CT. I first picked up a certified copy of our marriage license, which I believe most places need and/or use to determine the legitmacy of what you're trying to do. Then tomorrow I'm going to the SS office and then to the DMV. Then I believe it's all just a matter of little things after that. Passport, etc.....no need to hire a service when you can do it all yourself, relatively painlessly. 

Good luck!
    Laura 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards