Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

father/daughter dance =/

I've never been close to my father at all, I don't want to do the father-daughter dance, nor walk down the aisle with him. My fiance thinks that I should because he is my father. I don't have any brothers, my father in-law can't do it because he is in a wheelchair. I don't want to take away the mother-son dance from my fiance, that wouldn't be right at all. What do I do? My weddings in June 2013 and I'm sure people will be asking me soon(especially my family, they are nosey haha!)

thanks for any help :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: father/daughter dance =/

• Are you capable of having a heart-to-heart with your father? The sooner, the better. If you can honestly tell him "Dad, I love you, but we aren't that close, and I've chosen to walk down the aisle alone (or with so-and-so)"

And also, I wouldn't count out your future father in law. Of course, you'd need to ask him his comfort level, but he might be thrilled to have a "spin" on the dance floor with you. It doesn't have to be sappy & sentimental, it could just be for fun.

I know a lot of couples skip "spotlight dances" entirely. I did, due to non-traditional family circumstances, and no one cared. I think if you sat down with future mother in law, as well, and explained how the dances make you uncomfortable she would more than understand.
  • My dad and I aren't close either. I mean I love him because he's blood, but that doesn't mean I have to like him. He's never been there for me or my brother and doesn't know anything about us. He's always been a deadbeat and a loser. But my mom wants me to do all that yuppie stuff to be respectful. So I will, because it's really just a small portion of the wedding and it's really not going to ruin my day if I have to. Plus it will make my mom happy and probably my dad. I think it's one of those pick your battle situations. Is it worth putting up the fight? To me it really wasn't.
    "Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_fatherdaughter-dance-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:42c569a5-6ad3-4a0b-9509-cd81fb3b89e9Post:784de266-4207-4aa3-ae53-5c991b48505b">father/daughter dance =/</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never been close to my father at all, I don't want to do the father-daughter dance, nor walk down the aisle with him. My fiance thinks that I should because he is my father.  I don't have any brothers, my father in-law can't do it because he is in a wheelchair. I don't want to take away the mother-son dance from my fiance, that wouldn't be right at all. What do I do? My weddings in June 2013 and I'm sure people will be asking me soon(especially my family, they are nosey haha!) thanks for any help :)
    Posted by janaelovespink[/QUOTE]
    1. Walk by yourself.
    2. You don't have to do a father / daughter dance in order for Fi to have his mom dance. My H and I had a moms dance because my dad is in a wheelchair.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_fatherdaughter-dance-11?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:42c569a5-6ad3-4a0b-9509-cd81fb3b89e9Post:8bf80817-6241-4ff9-92f1-7a7368dc1f89">Re: father/daughter dance =/</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to father/daughter dance =/ : 1. Walk by yourself. 2. You don't have to do a father / daughter dance in order for Fi to have his mom dance. My H and I had a moms dance because my dad is in a wheelchair.
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]

Ditto to this
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards