Connecticut

Hair/makeup trial...changing my mind about the style

Have any of you completely changed your minds about your hair/makeup style after your trials? I had my hair/makeup trial on Saturday with Dana Bartone. Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVED Dana and her staff, and they do amazing work...so I'm not changing my mind because of them, it's because of my own choice. I originally wanted very simple/natural makeup and a half-updo with a braid. Dana did a natural makeup look that came out beautiful, and I got many compliments...but I just realized that I really want to "glam it up" on my wedding day. I didn't feel like I looked any different than I usually do, so I think i want to ask Dana to do something more glam and dramatic for the wedding. It's my fault - I thought I wanted one look, and it turns out, I want a different look I'm just worried that it won't come out right at the wedding, and I will have to make her re-do it. I don't want to be THAT bride, but I want to love my look, since I'm paying a lot for it..and it's my wedding! Since I have already had my trial, I don't want to go back for another one...but I definitely want to do something different than my trial. Is that risky? Should I stick to the trial makeup that she used?

As for the hair..it was very nice, but it wasn't what I pictured. I brought pictures of the style that I liked...and the hair stylist was able to get a similar look, but not exactly what I pictured. Now, I understand that not everyone's hair wants to cooperate in the same way...it must be impossible to duplicate a hairstyle from a picture, when you are working with a completely different head of hair. Different length, different texture..I understand that they aren't miracle workers. And it was very pretty, but as the day went on, I kept looking in the mirror thinking "this isn't the right style." So I want to ask her to do something slightly different on the wedding day. Has this happened to anyone else?

Do I sound crazy? I think I just need reassurance that this has happened to other brides! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: Hair/makeup trial...changing my mind about the style

• I actually had something similar happen to me with my hair. Going into the trial, I knew exactly what I wanted--I brought several pictures of the same style to show my stylist. When she did it, it looked good but wasn't what I was really picturing. I wanted my hair to be completely up with big curls--but the style wasn't as 'big' as I had pictured. It looked like a small bun in the back of my head. I plan on asking her to do something a little different on my wedding day and I'm pretty confident that she'll be able to.

So I don't think you're being ridiculous or crazy at all. It is your wedding day and you should be completely satisfied with your hair and makeup.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • id012id012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Maybe with your makeup on the day iff you can have her start out with the natural look and then add more until you like it? That way you know the base is good.. you can can ask her to show you while shes doing it and you can tell her when you think your finished? I dont knoe if that would work.. i dont know anything about getting makeup done and i dont wear alot on a normal day..lol
  • id012id012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Oh and just to add i dont think your being crazy at all! Thats what the whole point of a trail is isnt it? So you can see what you think you want and then critique it so the day off you can get what you knoe you want!
  • If you liked the product that Dana used but just want to change the color/style I think you're totally in the right to do that. When I had my makeup trial, it was actually a bit too glamarous for me (I don't wear any makeup at all on a daily basis). We chatted over email about using a different eyeliner and different shade of lipstick for the wedding day, and we're good to go. 

The only thing I might suggest, is if you're doing something different than your trial, ask them to come an hour or so early. That way, if you end up not liking it on your wedding day, you'll have some time to redo and perfect things. 

Hair and makeup look different on ourselves than in pictures, and we have every right to change our minds. =)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_hairmakeup-trialchanging-my-mind-about-the-style?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:2dcd3cf5-9c99-4bc0-9ffd-72348a5e0094Post:f5925c16-2241-4d9a-ac53-1a2a53939db0">Re: Hair/makeup trial...changing my mind about the style</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you liked the product that Dana used but just want to change the color/style I think you're totally in the right to do that. When I had my makeup trial, it was actually a bit too glamarous for me (I don't wear any makeup at all on a daily basis). We chatted over email about using a different eyeliner and different shade of lipstick for the wedding day, and we're good to go.  <strong>The only thing I might suggest, is if you're doing something different than your trial, ask them to come an hour or so early</strong>. That way, if you end up not liking it on your wedding day, you'll have some time to redo and perfect things.  Hair and makeup look different on ourselves than in pictures, and we have every right to change our minds. =)
    Posted by MoonlightSilver[/QUOTE]

Good call, I didn't think of that. I think I'm going to call or e-mail them just to give them a heads-up about my new ideas, that way I won't be springing it on them at the last minute. I'll ask if they can come early too
  • lulu4150lulu4150 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Kfesta sounds like you liked Dana.  I've been in contact with her studio but wasn' sure because it looks like once I add in tax and tip its going to be about $400-500 just for me! I was shocked!  I didn't realize it would be that expensive.  I was thinking $300-$400. 
  • Lulu - I did like Dana very much. And I liked her entire staff, and her salon is such a nice place. I definitely recommend her. It's true that her prices are not the cheapest around, however, I don't think they are unfair. In fact, they are right in line with most of the other traveling hair/makeup artists that I have seen. Also, after some thought (and some not-so-great conversations with other hair/makeup artists) I decided that I was willing to pay a bit more for someone who has such a great reputation, and great customer service...and she definitely has a great rep! Like you, I looked at the total cost and thought I should look for a more affordable option... but most of the other options weren't THAT much less. So I decided to book her, and I gave my bridesmaids the option of booking her. Some of them only booked her for hair, and they will do their own makeup. I think my bridesmaids are trying to keep their costs under control by only using Dana for hair, and that's just fine with me. Maybe you could do that as well?
  • Oh, also...not to nitpick, but I'm wondering where you got the 400-500 dollar figure from..  I know Dana's prices are no longer on her website, but if you e-mail her for a quote, I think you will find that she is in the 300-400 range for bridal services. (I'm assuming you're just getting hair and makeup done). When you add those two together, throw in the travel fee and the tip...it shouldn't be much higher than $300. But again, I'm not sure if you're requesting some additional services, or perhaps your travel fee is higher. Just wanted to let you know your quote seemed  a bit higher than her normal rates! (Believe me, I wouldn't spend $500 on myself either!)
  • I think Dana Bartone has such a good reputation for a reason, and will be able to change your look on the wedding day to what you want, without practicing. If it'll make you feel more comfortable, you could go in for another trial, but I'd probably just give her a heads up and  email new inspiration pics. Hair for some reason makes me more nervous, but if it was already pretty close to what you imagined I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

And you're definitely not crazy!  As PPs said, this is the point of the trial!

Follow me on pinterest (I do not know how to make that nice red button thing): http://pinterest.com/lizporter17/ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lulu4150lulu4150 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Kfesta -

Lauren quoted: Trial $65 each for hair and makeup
                             Day of at least $100 hair and at least $80 makeup

Figured at least $164 for trial and $227 for day of + $50 travel fee.  That's a grand total of $441 including tax and tip.  The tip is figured on 20% which is usually what I leave my hairdresser.  So it could be $400-500 depending on how I want my hair and makeup done. I wish I had a girlfriend who could do makeup so I could save some money.  Oh well, its the price of beauty! LOL
  • I had my trial and didn't love my hair and ended up doing something totally different on my wedding day and LOVED it.  Go with your gut.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_hairmakeup-trialchanging-my-mind-about-the-style?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:2dcd3cf5-9c99-4bc0-9ffd-72348a5e0094Post:4f56e8c3-30b6-4353-b345-50a7e5838a22">Re: Hair/makeup trial...changing my mind about the style</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kfesta - Lauren quoted: Trial $65 each for hair and makeup                          Day of at least $100 hair and at least $80 makeup                          Figured at least $164 for trial and $227 for day of + $50 travel fee.  That's a grand total of $441 including tax and tip.  The tip is figured on 20% which is usually what I leave my hairdresser.  So it could be $400-500 depending on how I want my hair and makeup done. I wish I had a girlfriend who could do makeup so I could save some money.  Oh well, its the price of beauty! LOL
    Posted by lulu4150[/QUOTE]

<div>Ok gotcha - I was wondering where you got such a high figure from, but I didn't realize you were including the cost of the trial in the overall cost. That would explain the difference! Sorry bout that, just wanted to make sure you weren't being quoted a higher price than me! That would be uncool :)</div>
  • Sorry, should've mentioned that.  I was worried for a sec too.  Thought they might have recently increased their price! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards