Oregon
Options

Caterer Recommendations

We are on a tight budget, and looking for someone to cater our wedding.  Any recommendations of a caterer that provides good food for a low price?  We are hoping to spend $20 pp or less.  TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Caterer Recommendations

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Where is the wedding taking place? City? Venue?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, what time of day is the wedding?
    "That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton
  • Options
    andij1616andij1616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The wedding is going to be at the Settlemier House in Woodburn.  The reception will start in the late afternoon, probably sometime between 2:30-4:30. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Wild Pear (out of Salem) and had a heavy oar derv buffet style reception (started about 4:30). It was almost exactly 20 per person. And we had TONS of stuff and it was so so so tasty.I would highly recommend talking to them, they were so easy to work with and everything was awesome. (And travel fees weren't bad at all)Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wild Pear has awesome food!
  • Options
    lindseroolindseroo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A good friend of my mom's co-owns Novak's Hungarian Restaurant in Albany, and she recently started doing catering.  The food is FANTASTIC, and almost every dinner option is less than $20/person.  The menu is:  http://novakshungarian.com/pdf/Catering_Menu2-09.pdf.
    The main restaurant website is:  www.novakshungarian.com
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I keep you with me in my heart, you make it easier when life gets hard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to work for Claeys Catering.  They are out of North Plains, but they go everywhere.  I wouldnt hire anyone else, the food and the service is spectacular!  We will be using them for our wedding.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The food from Wild Pear and Novak's looks really good, but we want to go with something a little simpler.  A lot of our guests are picky eaters, and I don't think they would want to anything too "different."  We will defintely have to try Novak's for dinner sometime, though. 
    I contacted Claeys for a quote yesterday.  I'm not sure about their prices yet, but from looking at their menu, I think they are just what we're looking for!
    We're also considering Sassy Onion and Elegant Catering out of Salem.  Does anyone have experience with these caterers?

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

The Bomber in Milwaukie is awesome and (gulp) 7 years ago our ginormous buffet was $12 pp.  However, I'm not sure how the travel to Woodburn would affect things, if at all.

Friends looked at The French Bear in Newberg and it was delicious (I got to go for the tasting).  I can't remember who they ultimately ended up using, but I'll ask and report back.

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, DramaGeek!  I just emailed The Bomber.  Their prices seem really reasonable, and I know my fiance would love if we could serve prime rib!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, if you haven't already chosen- I used Wild Pear for my wedding at Settlemier, so they know the kitchen/site. There was no travel fee.

I was mostly satisfied (the one oops is they put out the meltable desserts too early) and would feel comfortable recommending them. They came up with a menu just for us (breakfast for dinner)  so you could ask them to come up with something simpler for you guys.

If you've already settled on the Bomber, I've only heard good stuff about them.

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if this is too late but I am using Catering by Laurie and she has been great to work with so far!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want a fun family style caterered event, check out http://www.familystylecatering.com So much better than a buffet and less than half the price than a plated meal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am using Special Occassions in Woodburn they have Great food for even a full meal at Great Prices!! I would recommend them for any event!! They also have GREAT tasting cakes too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards