Getting in Shape

Did Zumba work for you?

Just to give you all a background on me and my weight loss goals...I am the definition of pear shaped. When I ordered my bridal gown, they measured my bust, waist and hips...and all three measurements were a different size. I ended up choosing the middle size which means I would have to lose 3 inches off of my hips in order to fit into the gown. I'm also looking to tone up my arms so they look great in my dress.

I'm pretty good at maintaining a healthy diet, but I HATE HATE HATE working out. Most of the reason is because I get bored very easily, and I also hate doing any floor workouts (I think the repetition is what bores me). I prefer to workout at home with DVDs, and I've tried all different programs. I bought the Zumba DVDs 2 weeks ago and I LOVE THEM! I feel like it's the only program that I'm not bored with and have fun doing. My question is this- at the end of each work out, I'm definitely sweaty but I'm never sore afterwards and I never "feel the burn" like I did with traditional floor workouts. I also haven't lost any weight yet. I just want to know if anyone saw substantial results from doing this program...especially in the hips/butt/lower stomach area. I also want to know if anyone can recommend another program that is similar to Zumba, but maybe a little more intense. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Did Zumba work for you?

• I'm also a pear shape, and feel your pain with the hip and thigh area!

Zumba is low impact, which is why many don't feel the burn.  I used to do it and also never lost a single lb doing it (and it was an intense class!)  Honestly, if you're looking for an at home workout to kick that region into shape, I'd probably recommend insanity.  I haven't done it, but think it's probably one of the few programs intense enough to help you burn those three inches in time.  It moves quickly, so you'd probably be busy enough following it that you wouldn't get bored.  There are a few ladies on here who have tried it who could probably better confirm if this program would be a good way to go.

Otherwise, I'd say keep up with the zumba, but do extra exercises to really help burn those thighs-squats and walking lunges will really help.  Also, jogging is one of the things that really slimmed my thighs a bit in no time.

Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • I do 1 zumba class a week at my gym in conjunction with other les mills classes and at first I did find it helped me burn fat BUT thats probably because I was (am) pretty out of shape and had a lot of fat to burn through haha. I carry my weight all on my belly (classic apple shape) so that also has something to do with  the results im sure
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I tried Zumba once and I did not like it.  It felt too much like dancing to me and not so much like a hard workout.  I know people who love it, though.  It is all about personal prefference.
  • Any activity you do is going to be better than NO activity. If you haven't already you should join a site like myfitnesspal.com - you may THINK you eat well, but it's possible you're unknowingly overeating. Losing weight is more about what you eat, and then activity just helps facilitate the weightloss.
  • For me, I enjoy Zumba class with some friends.. it burns some calories, keeps me off the couch and out of the fridge.  It gives you what you put into it!  If you work super hard, it burns a lot.. if you don't, then not so much. 
  • Two suggestions:
    1. Try weight lifting.  If you've never done it before, you can pick up a DVD and follow their moves.  I think Denise Austen had a pretty good one, and there are some other out there that are decent.  
    I personally never felt the burn with cardio only workouts, and never felt they were super helpful.  I prefer mixing cardio in with weights to help with weight loss.  It will help you put on muscle mass which will help you burn fat more efficiently, and help you lose faster than cardio alone!

2. Try High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).  I love/hate it.  The good part is it's only 20 minutes a day, and its a lot of switching up what you're doing.  The two interval systems I use are one where I have two minutes of mid intensity and 3 minutes of increasing intensity work or the other where it's 30 seconds of high intensity work, with 1 minute of moderate intensity between.  Usually I do it on either an elliptical where I increase resistance or a treadmill where I increase speed, but you can do it outdoors as well so long as you don't give up easily :)  It's quick, makes you sweat, and purportedly is more beneficial to weight loss than traditional long cardio workouts because you're really pushing your muscles!

But then I always have one day a week where I toss in a long cardio workout - usually a long run or something similar just to keep my body guessing!
  • I tried Zumba once.. not my thing. I need a much much higher impact work out than that. You're burning about 300ish calories in an hour with zumba so that's better than nothing. 

But like PP mentioned, it's low impact. YOu aren't working any muscle group heavily, you're working them all moderately. That means you won't feel the burn. I have seen people lose a considerable amount of weight from Zumba, but they usually keep up the Zumba and expand to running and other gym classes. 
    If you hate working out, it's a great place to start. 
  • I tried Zumba a couple times. I kept going to the class because I wanted to like it so bad. But sadly no. I feel like I could get the same work out going out dancing with my girlfriends. Not to mention I am horribly uncoordinated so I spent most of the class being like what was that move?? In the end, it was not intense enough for me. Of those who I know who have done zumba and lost weight, like firsttimers said it was combined with other cardio/strength training exercises not only zumba. I think it would be difficult to get real results from just doing one type of exercise no matter what it is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've done zumba for about 10 years. It is fun, but I have never lost a single pound. I think it works put for people who doesn't walk at all and has a lot of fat to lose. You should try indoor cycling. I also have the P90X and when i do it, I lose about 2 pounds a week
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PitaPata Dog tickers
  • jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2012
    It's fun and it gives me a decent workout. I don't do it often enough to know if it's making a difference or not. I say any workout is better than nothing, especially if it's something you enjoy because you're more likely to keep doing it. I think pairing it with weights is a perfect option. If you really put a lot into doing Zumba, then go lift weights for a while, that should make you lose some weight, but more importantly it should make you look and feel awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards