Texas-Houston

Length of Reception

After reading the post that the married ladies posted on it made me wonder a few things. One of which is how long was everybody's reception? I noticed that several ladies posted that they felt it wasn't long enough. Did you have a four-hour reception or was it longer?

The only requirement I have had in any reception location was that it allowed for receptions over four hours so I am wondering if I am making a smart decision by doing this.

So, how long was your reception? And on what day of the week? Do you feel it was long enough?
And now we are as one
Married February 20, 2011

Re: Length of Reception

• edited December 2011
    my ceremony was 30 minutes on a Saturday. holy hell, I'd leave before the end if I was subjected to a 4 hour ceremony. my reception was 3.5 hours, if that is what you mean. ;)  and while it would have been nice to have more time to talk to people, I think it was just the right amount of time for us.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • PJS001PJS001 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you Pooh. I fixed it. My mind is ready for the weekend!
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• icekitty37icekitty37 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    4 hours is a pretty typical reception. That is what we are having, and although I may feel like it comes and goes, I think the guests will have enough time to have fun and still not feel overwhelmed by the day's events.

I have been a guest at an 8 hour long reception/ceremony at one venue. I was not the only guest who felt captive and thought "holy crap will this thing just end!". We got there at 5pm and left at 2am. As lavish and ridiculously expensive/nice everything was (well over $200k was spent), all anyone remembers was how long and tiring the event was!
  • akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours is an even 4, but this includes the cocktail period of time (it's not exactly an hour... it's either a little longer than that or not quite that I can't remember).

We know for sure not everybody will stay until the end, which is totally fine with us because we have a lot of older family members. Some of our friends are party people though so they will not only stay until the end, but then go have an after party lol.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • edited December 2011
    ours was 4 1/2 including the cocktail hour - i thought we were getting 5 hours, but this was clearly a miscommunication with the vendor (long story). At any rate, we were exhausted by the end of the reception and i think our guests thought it was a great length of time. i think 4 hours should be fine.
  • jobie02jobie02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is at 3, so our cocktail house is 4-5 and reception is 5-9.  It is 5 hours, but with it being an afternoon wedding, we just felt 8 was so early to end it.  We will see how it shakes out.
  • edited December 2011
    I think we have the hall for 8 hrs. this includes cocktail hr, dinner, and dancing.
  • janie2002janie2002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a total of 5 hours I think, with one being cocktail.

I wish it would have been longer.
  • edited December 2011
    Ours was 5 hours with the ceremony... I really wish we could have had it longer. If we would have done a Saturday night we def. would have gone longer. We did a sit down dinner and that took a good 45mins -hour. So not enough time for some hard core dancing

The only thing i'd recommend as you look at making your reception longer... are you going to want your photographer and videographer to be there the whole time?? Just don't forget that added expense.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-houston_length-of-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:121Discussion:61ae9b83-2b1f-4735-8764-e58ec25197c5Post:488374fe-2524-4f96-b23b-ce61480c1816">Re: Length of Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ours was 5 hours with the ceremony... I really wish we could have had it longer. If we would have done a Saturday night we def. would have gone longer. We did a sit down dinner and that took a good 45mins -hour. So not enough time for some hard core dancing <strong>The only thing i'd recommend as you look at making your reception longer... are you going to want your photographer and videographer to be there the whole time?? Just don't forget that added expense.</strong>
    Posted by Nanner22[/QUOTE]
    don't forget the DJ/band, and the bartender. basically, anyone you'd be paying on an hourly rate.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • edited December 2011
    Our reception was 5 hours long, which included a cocktail hour.  It was more than enough time to mix and mingle with our guests, have a few bites to eat and boogie the night away.  We were exhausted after it was all said and done. Oh and ditto to what PP have said, most DJs will have contracts for 4 hours, photogs and videographers will usually leave after the last formality (i.e. bouquet toss).  Anything over will be an extra expense.
    Never trust a big butt and a smile. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards