Ohio-Northeast
Options

Alterations Express - BEWARE!!!!

I just want to let everybody know, DO NOT go to alterations express to get your dress altered. It was a nightmare.  They promise a 4 day turnaround and when I went on the 4th day to pick it up, it was not even close to being done.  I had a pick up dress and they had let all of the pick ups on the bottom half of the dress out (I have no idea why) and they had put my cap sleeves on backwards.  I demaned it be fixed the next day.  It was also completely over priced.  At my wedding/reception the pick ups they had sewed back started to come undone.  By the end of the reception all of the pick ups were completely undone and I had an extra foot on material I was trying not to trip on.  The bottom of my dress is now ruined and black.  Not a good expereince....

Re: Alterations Express - BEWARE!!!!

• Options
    jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am sorry that you had such a negative experience with alterations express!

I do want to say that I use alterations express often and have never had a problem with their services. I have had multiple lined suits and dresses altered there with no problems. In fact, I have been really happy with their services! I have used the Mayfield and North Olmsted locations.

I do not plan to have my wedding dress altered there. That seems like an item that should be altered by a wedding dress store who has more expertise with wedding dresses.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, they do alterations on wedding dresses too, and they apparently specialize so why would you think you would have to take it to a personalized shop? That doesn't make any sense.  At any rate, I do not recommend this place to anyone.  One of my bridesmaids also had a terrible situation at a different location. 
  • Options
    jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not mean to upset you in my last post. I simply wanted to let people know about my own experiences with alterations express because I like that company and have had positive experiences with them.

Also, I did not know that they advertise expertise in wedding dresses. My thought has always been that they are a chain alterations place which didn't seem like the kind of place where I would want to take my wedding dress. Personal opinion, that's all.
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry you had a bad experience. Even if they *say* they can do wedding dresses, I'd be skeptical because of them being a chain jack-of-all-trades alterations place. There are plenty of independent seamstresses at much better (lower!) prices that deliver a higher quality product and wedding attire is ALL they work with. I'd trust any of them first, personally.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ayamm1123ayamm1123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP that AE would not be my first choice for wedding dresses but I will add that I know the Strongsville AE has seamstresses that worked at Catan bridal for 8+ years so at least that location has expertise inhouse. However, they do charge a hefty pricetag!

I am sorry you had a bad experience...which AE were you at?
  • Options
    vbbride23vbbride23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is my sister-in-law who had this situation with her dress.  I haven't been on here since I married a few years ago but wanted to read her post and was compelled to post given the responses she received.

I watched the whole situation unfold on the wedding day.  They had the most beautiful wedding and perfect day, but the dress caused her some stress before and during the wedding.  Search the Knot; they advertise fairly heavily on the Knot for wedding dress alterations (among other items).  Here is the exact wording on the Knot for this company per their advertisement:

"Alterations Express gets the work done whenever you need it. Each location has spacious dressing rooms for professional fittings and expert seamstresses in formal wear and wedding dress alterations. Open six days a week. Pant hems can be done anytime, while you wait."

I believe she shouldn't have had a bit of worry regarding using this company, given the fact that they specialize in alterations.  I'm surprised a company such as this is incapable of performing wedding dress and bridesmaid dress alterations, and wouldn't be surprised if they didn't stay in business given this inability.  Our bridesmaid dresses were about as simple a design as one can pick, and the bridesmaids who used this company weren't pleased with the results.  I personally have never used their services, but most assuredly will not given this situation and their complete disregard and disdain for her poor experience.

Saying someone shouldn't use an alteration company that doesn't specialize in wedding gowns is like saying one shouldn't use a DJ that works events other than weddings, a photographer that takes senior and family portraits along with wedding portraits, or a bakery who makes cookies as well as wedding cakes.

• Options
    jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    VBbride23- I understand your concerns with this company. I suggest that you and your sister in law file a formal complaint with alterations express since you had such a bad experience.
    Also, my original point was that I had no idea that this company altered wedding dresses. It has surprised me to learn that they advertise expertise in altering wedding dresses. That said, I would not go to a chain alterations place like this to alter my wedding dress.
    Like I said before, this is all my opinion. I understand why your SIL is upset with this company, but I am also allowed to have a different opinion and share that one this board.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did talk to the owner's secretary who said she spoke to the owner and they stand by the manager. The manager's solution was to fix the dress. Great solution for a pair of tailored pants but a wedding dress...you get one chance to make it right. For a "national chain" that isn't very good customer service!

We are now in the process of filing a Better Business Complaint.

I think some of you brides are missing one of the benefits of this board. To hear good and bad experiences! It isn't always about "your opinion." Especially since you haven't had the experience of getting married yet... It is easy to see what happened to someone else and say "I would have never done that" when you have already benefitted from their bad experience.

This was a bad experience worth sharing. NO OPINIONS NEEDED!

In other words, how would you feel if you hired a baker and they didn't show up with your cake on your wedding day? Not much you can do but give them a bad review and pass the word and that's what we are doing...no opinion needed.

Just read the review and beware...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards