• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Food and Cakes

food tasting vs. wedding day food

I'm a bit nervous with our venue's food. At the food tasting, I'd say that 20% of the food tasted good... the rest was pretty bland, or overcooked, or dry. I'm not a picky person and I usually eat anything, and my dad is even less picky than me (even ate my burnt pudding so I didn't have to throw it out, lol!) and even he didn't like some of the dishes! It's too late to back out now since we already gave them $5000, so that's not an option. I have read reviews and all of them raved about how good the food was, so I'm thinking that maybe the tasting just wasn't that great for us.

In your experience, how did the tastings compare to the food served on the day of? Was it better, worse, the same?

Thanks!

Re: food tasting vs. wedding day food

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 Ravens & Bohs & Crabs & O's member
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    My tasting was amazing!  We loved pretty much everything we asked to try (especially the crab cake balls), but as for the actual wedding day food.  As far as I can remember it tasted the same (I was kind of in a fog that day), but the rest of our guests raved about the food so I guess it was pretty tasty!

If you didn't like the food at your tasting, don't expect it to be any better the day of your wedding.  I would talk with your venue/caterer and let them know your concerns and that you really weren't happy with the quality of the food.  I would ask for another tasting to see if they can fix the recipes to be more to your liking.

• lyndausvilyndausvi Western Slope, Colorado mod
    Moderator Knottie Warrior 10000 Comments 500 Love Its
    edited July 2012

Our tasting and wedding day food was amazing.  

I think that if your tasting was only so-so i would ask for another one, even if I had to pay for it.  Maybe change up the menu a little?  Just because say the chicken dish you tried didn't work for your doesn't mean they don't have another they might excel out.  KWIM?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'd say our tasting & wedding day were equal. Both were awesome. I agree with PP in talking to your contact there & request some modifications. If you don't like it now, you're not going to like it on your wedding day.
  • I think our tasting (which was great) was the same as the wedding-day food. The wedding day was kind of a blur and I remember sitting briefly to shove some food in, but not a whole lot about its taste to be honest. But I do remember loving the food at the tasting.

I would go back, see if you can get another tasting (even if they charge a little) and tell them your concerns about the initial tasting now that you've had time to think it over. Perhaps it was a fluke and the food comes out tasting wonderfully. Perhaps not and then maybe you can change up the menu a bit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Our tasting food was identical to the wedding-day food. I wouldn't hire them to prepare any of the items you didn't like at the tasting. As Lynda said, you might want to give them another try with other menu items.  But if you hate a particular item at a tasting, it will likely disappoint on your wedding day as well. 
  • I definitely wouldn't expect the food to be any better on your wedding day.  If anything, I'd expect it to be worse because they're cooking on a much larger scale rather than for just a few people, and mass produced food can sometimes be pretty disappointing. 
  • tasting is definitelly better than the food on the day, i think it also depends on how many dishes they cook on the day and what type of dishes. 
  • My tasting was great, if they can't impress me on a tasting for 2 that's a problem, see if you can schedule one with Mimi's Fusion of flavors..is worth trying out other caters.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_food-tasting-vs-wedding-day-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:c1e0cc22-79a8-4568-9130-d2e5b128046fPost:0088a09f-8737-4724-845c-fdb87a6a3a29">food tasting vs. wedding day food</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a bit nervous with our venue's food. At the food tasting, I'd say that 20% of the food tasted good... the rest was pretty bland, or overcooked, or dry. I'm not a picky person and I usually eat anything, and my dad is even less picky than me (even ate my burnt pudding so I didn't have to throw it out, lol!) and even he didn't like some of the dishes! It's too late to back out now since we already gave them $5000, so that's not an option. I have read reviews and all of them raved about how good the food was, so I'm thinking that maybe the tasting just wasn't that great for us. In your experience, how did the tastings compare to the food served on the day of? Was it better, worse, the same? Thanks!
    Posted by andra loves andre[/QUOTE]
  • Oh no.  I would be so worried.  You should talk to the person in charge and then try and make another tasting appointment.  It is your wedding and you are paying them so you should get what you want.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards