Ohio-Northeast
Options

Marriage License

Does anyone have any insight into how to go about getting a marriage license? (Cuyahoga County). We live in Pittsburgh but we are getting married in hometown North Olmsted/Olmsted Falls. I looked it up online and says that we have to go to court house M-F 8 am - 4pm within 60 days of our wedding. Has anyone gone through this process and was there any other option to do this on a weekend? Thank you! 

Re: Marriage License

• Options
    LoopysevenLoopyseven member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did it.  There is no weekend option.  If one of you lived in Ohio you could get your license in a different county I think.  I think you can get it in the county where at least one party resides, or the county where you are getting married.  But since you are in PA that doesn't help you.  It didn't take long... maybe 30 minutes, including waiting for the next available person.  Try to avoid Friday afternoons - apparently they are busy then with people who didn't realize they needed a license before they got married and are getting married that weekend... 
    We went on a random Friday morning (my work had a random business day off, so I didn't have to take vacation for it) and it was pretty easy-peasy.
  • Options
    starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like pp said, there are no weekend options and it really does close at 4pm.  I ended up leaving work at 3pm (I work right down the street) on a Friday with my then-Fiance to get the marriage license.  Took us 15 minutes.  I know we got lucky, because there were a line of people behind us when we left.  The process is very simple, but can take some time, so just make sure you plan for that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the others. And, be sure to bring cash to pay for it. They do not accept credit cards or checks. IIRC, it's $40, but verify that on their web site. You'll just have to find a way for both of you to get there on a weekday. Maybe plan it for a Friday or Monday when you'll be in town anyway for other wedding-related things.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i too was int he same situation.
    im from pitt too but we got married in cleveland.

yes. you have to wait til your between 60 days til your wedding day to go and file for it.
    some people have to wait to get it mailed to them but you get it right there so no need to wait. and the process only took like 15-20 min (we were the only ones there thank God)
     i think i went when there was still like 50 or less days til my wedding.
    i paid $40 but i read somewhere it went up (but dont quote me)
    you need to have cash though.
    and bring both of your IDs and birth certificates.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just as a heads up their prices went up. Check their website, but I am pretty sure a marriage license is now $50. CASH ONLY!

Also, keep in mind that both of you have to be present to obtain the marriage license.

Like the pp said, no weekend options. It's a government office so their 9-4 hours are pretty typical.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As long as neither of you reside in Ohio,  you can get it in the county you are getting married in.   If one of you resides in Ohio, you have to get it in the county you reside in.   My husband was living in Chicago, I had been living in Columbus, and we were getting married in Cleveland.  I called both Franklin Co. Probate Court and Cuyahoga Co Probate Court to ask where we needed to get it.  BOTH said we could get it in Cuyahoga (the Monday before a Friday wedding; and my husband had to drive to Wisconsin for a conference that week!).   We get to the Cuy. County Courthouse... and are told no, we have to go to Franklin County.   The only thing that saved us was that I never changed my driver's license from my parents address!  The woman we dealt with was NOT happy to be working at 8:30am on a Monday morning.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards