Canada-Ontario

Looking for a frugal caterer

My fiance and I are getting married May 14, 2011 at The Toronto Argonaut Rowing Club and we need to find a caterer and I have no idea where to start. I was told the Argonaut Club kitchen is a caterers nightmare so I'm hoping to find someone who has worked their before or who is up for the challenge.
We around 80 people on our guest list but it will probably be closer to 60. The hall has table and chairs and a full bar with staff so we are basically in need of everything else (linen's, cutlery, china ect..)
So far the lowest quote Is around $50 per person including linen's, staff, china, flat wear ect. is that about as cheap as I'm going to find?
We are looking for an uber simple dinner either sit down or buffet (salad, meat, potato/rice and veg) coffee/tea and bread (dessert is going to be our cupcakes)
If it was in our budget we would like to do some hors d'oeuvres and a few sandwiches or something late night.
We are on a really tight budget but so cost is a huge factor for us, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
May 2011 March Siggy: Our Venue~ Toronto Argonaut Rowing Club
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Sarah & Geoff~ May 14th, 2011

Re: Looking for a frugal caterer

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://www.bbqgourmet.com

"BBQ" might sound kind of ghetto but their "upscale buffet" menus actually look pretty appetizing. And they bring their entire kitchen with them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • mcrotondomcrotondo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there
    I am getting married at the Argonaugt Rowing Club too!  Congrats on a great venue.  I would say start with their preferred caterers.  They know the venue, they know the kitchen, so for them it is no nightmare.  You can rest assured that things will go well if you go with someone who knows the joint.

I did not choose a preferred caterer but I did choose someone who worked there before so that eased my stress considerably.  I would say $50 per person is very good with linens and cutlery included.  I am not sure you will find a better price and still maintain the quality.  I think the only way to keep costs down is to keep the guest list down (which I myself am having a hard time doing).  I've seen costs per person up to $100 (food only) so $50 is good, trust me.

If you need any other advice there are 2 of us on this board getting married at the Argo Club so email or post anytime.

Good luck!
  • goodvibesgoodvibes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest kilograms catering. Please reach them at kilogramscatering@gmail.com. They would probably do it for $35.00-$40.00. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards