Michigan-Detroit

*Newbie Intro & Question*

Hey Everyone! I'm a newly engaged Bride-to-be!!  Which i've waiting 4 long years for! We haven't set a date yet, but are looking at either 2.29.12 or early september 2012. My good friend April (aprilm730) introduced me to the site.... not sure what i'm really doing though.

Just trying to get some ideas of venues...
i'm looking at maybe Detroit Princess or some sort of river boat idea. i have emailed Det. Princess but have not gotten a response. Anyone know their prices and how their wedding and reception ceremony is?
and/or looking at an outside ceramony in a park with a gazebo for an early sept wedding.. like i said.. no date set in stone so i have lots of ideas to run through.
we are in the southfield area and would consider surrounding areas.

we don't really have a budget, but are paying for it mostly ourselves and would like it to be reasonable... any help would be apperciated.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: *Newbie Intro & Question*

• edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratulations!!  We love newbies. :)

• klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello Kizzy, my friend!

The only park I know of off the top of my head is in Brighton (don't know where that is in relation to Southfield).  But they do weddings and it's 1,200 to rent it for the full day, for ceremony & reception, and that includes 200 chairs.

Here's the site.

http://www.metroparks.com/parks/pk_huron_meadows.php
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Congratulations and welcome to the board!! April definitely steered you in the right direction. :)

Have you checked out Infinity and Ovation Yacht Charters? They are out of detroit and offer charters for special events. Not "riverboat" exactly, but it's a boat on the river lol.  They're really nice actually.

Happy Planning!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • terbear_86terbear_86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto the PP about Ovation & Infinity Charter boats, but prices start aroun 65 or 70 pp and I believe max cruise time is like 4 hours plus board and de board time. You can check out some of their packages online.
  • terbear_86terbear_86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_newbie-intro-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:b60e689d-91d1-4162-9d50-ef03b47ebc13Post:378d62ed-8f45-4f2a-8121-4ec11c4ff598">Re: *Newbie Intro & Question*</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello Kizzy, my friend! The only park I know of off the top of my head is in Brighton (don't know where that is in relation to Southfield).  But they do weddings and it's 1,200 to rent it for the full day, for ceremony & reception, and that includes 200 chairs. Here's the site. <a href="http://www.metroparks.com/parks/pk_huron_meadows.php" rel="nofollow">http://www.metroparks.com/parks/pk_huron_meadows.php</a>
    Posted by aprillm730[/QUOTE]

Brighton is about a half hour to forty minutes west of Southfield : 696 to 96 will get you there. It is west of Novi, Milford, South Lyon. south of Howell.
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats! 

Not quite a river boat but...we are doing our wedding and reception at the Detroit Yacht Club, it is right on the river and obviously there are a lot of boats :).  The room we are using for the reception has a wall of doors that open to a patio overlooking the river, its a nice compromise of being able to have some stuff outside, but plenty of indoor backup if need be.  I have heard a lot of good things from people who used this venue and we have had great experiences so far.  In general, belle isle has a lot of great outdoor places, you may have to research a little since a lot of it is owned by the city but there are some good possibilities there.

Good luck!
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    welcome and congratulations!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats Kizzy! April told me the news. Welcome to the Knot!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Jess!!! I've been keeping up with you through April too :) i can't wait to see pictures of the beautiful day! Congrats to you guys too!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats on getting engaged! I actually know one of the co-owners of the Detroit Princess. I'm not sure who you talked to, but I am sure they will get back to you. I went on there for a dinner cruise back in August and there was a wedding going on. I wasn't able to see it, but it sounds like such a good idea!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Corinne, i've actually never been on a cruise... but my boyfriend... excuse me FIANCE' :) and i love Detroit. lived downtown for a few years, would often go down to the river and just watch the boats. i just really think it'd be something we would both love. IF it's a reasonable price LOL. and unlike other charters, it isn't private, so i'm hoping it'll be a little cheaper. I didn't speak with anyone yet, i haven't called. i just emailed, but didn't get a response back. that was a few days ago.
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!!  :)  The board will be very helpful with planning your wedding and helping waste time at work lol  :)
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Kimbus 87Kimbus 87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Congrats and welcome to the boards.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    awe you all have been so very nice! Thank you for the welcoming comments :)
  • edited December 2011
    I wanted to say congrats and welcome! Knowing that you want a 'different' type of wedding (be it outside or on a boat) I'll give you a piece of advice that I wish someone would have given me...

The more unique you want your venue the more expensive it's going to be. For the Yachts mentioned above it is ~20K for 4 hours for 100 people. (That doesn't include anything but the boat and the food.) We were quoted that price for an AFTERNOON wedding on a SUNDAY in September (2010).  The Detroit Princess is somewhere in the same, BUT they have different levels of packages too. I guess you can rent out the entire boat, deck, room, or whatever to fit your needs.

For an outdoor wedding, the options are limitless in metro detroit. If you are looking at ANY city park make sure you check the alcohol resistrictions...most won't allow it on the premisis. The metro parks are great...but again...don't forget about the $4.00 per car most of the charge.

Kings Court Castle in Lake Orion (that's where we're getting married =)) has a beautiful gazebo and unique reception venue. But....again it's way more than I thought I would ever pay.

Last piece of advice, decide on your vision for a wedding...find it..and then work out a budget....lol

Good luck with the planning...and again...congrats!
  • edited December 2011
    Whoo Hoo!  Yay for newbies!  Congrats!
    I love downtown Detroit too.  As far as reception venues downtown go, Roostertail and Bayview Yacht Club are both amazing locations.  It couldn't hurt to check them out.  Right on the water, makes for some great photo ops!!  :)  I think there's someone here who is having their ceremony at the Grosse Pointe War Memorial as well.  I can't remember who, though, nd not sure if you have to live in GP to use it.  :-(
    Best of luck with the planning!!!
  • katiebird1981katiebird1981 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome & Congratulations! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cwimer6154cwimer6154 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the Detroit Board :)

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats & welcome!

I agree with PP, make sure you know what vision you want before you decide. I looked into multiple places in downtown Detroit, but ultimately the cost was way too prohibitive for our budget.

The city of Beverly Hills, next to/surrounded by Southfield has a great park with a large open, roofed pavilion. I went to a ceremony there, they had the reception elsewhere, but the building was really nice. I recall it was brick at one end, they have restroom facilities as well. I seem to recall a separate gazebo too. Their max capacity is 150 ppl, you can only have beer & wine, no liquor.

http://www.villagebeverlyhills.com/pavilion.htm

Their rental rates are fairly reasonable, but the party has to be over by 10 pm.

If you don't consider Livonia too far, our wedding is going to be at Greenmead at 8 Mile & Newburgh Rd, near I-275. Their chapel and reception building are heated or air conditioned depending on the season, and for both it should be about $1500 for non-resident if you book before any rate hike. They are also allowing us to have a tent next to the reception "home" (looks like a house, holds 100 ppl). If you go with the winter idea, your guests can drive to one place and stay there, walking to the reception from the chapel. Really nice grounds. Here's their link.

http://www.ci.livonia.mi.us/tabid/189/Departments/Community%20Resources/Greenmead/NewburgIntersection.aspx

Good luck. You have plenty of time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards