Favors
Options

Do you prefer useful or edible favors?

I am having the hardest time deciding what to give out as favors.  I don't want to give out anything useless, because no one needs just another knick-knack.  I have narrowed it down to two options:  items that I'm 99% sure will be useful, and chocolate of some sort (chocolate candies, homemade chocolate-covered pretzels, etc.).  As for the useful items, I am considering things like personalized lip balm and hand sanitizer bottles that match the wedding theme colors. The reason I think those things will be so useful is that I'm getting married in mid-November, so a lot of my guests might appreciate some relief for their chapped lips.  And I know that when my hands dry out and chap up in the winter, washing them with regular soap burns, so I do about a quarter of my hand washing in winter with hand sanitizer instead.  If any of my guests have dry hands, they might like the idea themselves.

So if you were a guest at my wedding, what would give you a bigger smile when you reached your seat:  chocolate lollipops, chocolate-covered pretzels (perhaps with nonpariels), lip balm, or hand sanitizer?
image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: Do you prefer useful or edible favors?

• Options
    mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate all the way! I don't like anything that is personalized with anything from the couples wedding and would most likely not take it. Edible is usually the way to go and I love chocolate! lol

ETA - I also don't use hand sanitizer as it dries out my hands too much.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate!
  • Options
    loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love: chocolate lollipops & chocolate-covered pretzels
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    chocolate.  I don't use lip balm, and I rarely use hand sanitizer~I prefer to wash my hands with soap and water.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Chocolate.  IMO lip balm and hand sanitizer are so "useful" that the idea seems a bit cold and impersonal. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    go with the food,
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate. :)
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate it is!  Lol.  I have gotten fairly good at the whole covering-things-with-melted-chocolate deal (not that it's hard), so making the chocolate lollipops at home with a mold or buying bulk pretzels and chocolate coating them would be simple, cheap, and (hopefully) fun.  Anyone have a preference on lollipops vs. pretzels?  I think the pretzels might be easier...
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate!

I'm picky about my lip balm (and wouldn't use it at a wedding where presumably I'd be wearing lipstick), and to me, hand sanitizer is stuff I use at work, not a favor.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yeah if I want or need hand sanitizer or lip balm, I'll get it myself.  Chocolate is the way to go.

• Options
    Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been fighting for a favor for my wedding that is affordable for a while as well, thanks for giving me ideas!

As far as my opinion I definitely agree with everyone about the chocolate, and making it yourself is an awesome idea.  I personally LOVE sweet and salty combos so the chocolate dipped pretzels sound amazing to me.  If I know someone personally took the time to make it (even something so simple) I would be much more pleasantly surprised vs. a factory-made "useful" item or candy.
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate.

I would lose the lip balm (I always do).

I don't understand why you would use hand sanitizer if you have dry skin, the main ingriedient is usually alcohol which is very drying,.  Unless there is another kind out there that you are using.  I'm also anit-sanitzer and only use it in situations where there is no soap or running water (i.e. porta potty use). 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    futurepivkofuturepivko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    chocolate! :) and you can even DIY it, and that could be a fun way to spend time with your bridesmaids :)
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Chocolate!

I always prefer edible anyway, but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to lip balm (I will only use Softlips), and I always have sanitizer on me, anyway (I have all sorts of issues with public bathrooms).

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The most recent wedding I went to the bridesmaids and mob made chocolate covered oreos in the wedding colors.  They were the most delicious thing I ever ate.  Each person got two in a favor box.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    definitely go with edible
  • Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Edible favors all the way! I love chocolate covered pretzels too, especially dark chocolate covered!

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you did chocolate covered pretzels yourself you could do the rods. Dip them halfway in chocolate (to give a handle) and then roll them in sprinkles or sugar crystals that match your wedding colors. You could use colored cellophane or colored plastic to wrap around them and ribbon to match your colors too. I've seen them made with mini M&Ms too.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We did chocolate covered pretzel rods for our wedding.  They were fairly easy to make.  It took about an hour to make 100 (we made 400).  Like the pics someone posted above, we dipped ours half way into chocolate and then rolled in sprinkles.

Each person got two pretzel rods.  One dipped in white chocolate and rolled in crushed oreos, and one dipped in milk chocolate and rolled in chocolate sprinkles.  They seemed to go over really well because there weren't any left over at the end of the reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_prefer-useful-edible-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:fb4ce07c-71f1-46d6-8a6d-5f927e7ff4f4Post:e1edfe83-5468-424d-8455-a40eca4f3c91">Re: Do you prefer useful or edible favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did chocolate covered pretzel rods for our wedding.  They were fairly easy to make.  It took about an hour to make 100 (we made 400).  Like the pics someone posted above, we dipped ours half way into chocolate and then rolled in sprinkles. Each person got two pretzel rods.  One dipped in white chocolate and rolled in crushed oreos, and one dipped in milk chocolate and rolled in chocolate sprinkles.  They seemed to go over really well because there weren't any left over at the end of the reception.
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]
    I am really leaning towards this idea! Glad to see a lot of people would like it!
    BTW - I LOVE your dress. Do you mind me asking what designer/style it is?
    September 2011 Brides Siggy Challenge: Reception Venue imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards