Indiana

Two months to go...and reception hall closed their doors

I don't post much anymore since I've had my wedding planned for months, but I really needed to get out my frustration, and warn other Fort Wayne brides.

Wow, what a crazy day!  My wedding is May 22, and I found out my reception hall, The Landmark, has filed for bankruptcy and has closed their doors. They took off with my deposit, as well as many others'.  I just sent out my invitations last week, so now once I find a new caterer, I will have to notify my guests.  I feel really sorry for the two couples getting married this weekend that are now being told they need to find something else.  I'm left trying to scramble to find a new place, and only a couple places lare available that can accomodate my guests and our outside cake vendor. 

I just found all this out today through word of mouth, they did not even have the decency to notify me of this situation.  Hopefully I will have better news this Saturday when I go for round two of finding a new caterer...

Wish I had better news, will have to keep all of you updated.  Knottie vibes and prayers would be greatly appreciated!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Two months to go...and reception hall closed their doors

• topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow...I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope you can find a new venue in time!

I'd be beside myself to begin with, but to not have a venue only a couple of days before the event is just unimaginable.

Keep us posted and GL!

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jstephenson8jstephenson8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, what a nightmare.  I am in Fort Wayne and just last month was doing the search for reception venues.  We looked at Landmark, and fortunately we have chosen another location.  However, I do know a couple who had plans to have their reception there this July.  I will have to forward this information to them.

If you need any help with brainstorming new venues, etc feel free to let me know.  I think I looked at just about every place here in town.

Thank you for sharing and good luck.

• Shay022Shay022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the support.

Soooo many places are already booked.  We are not having much luck.  I have ideas, but most places are booked or cant accomodate our estimate of guests, which is approximately 150-175 people.

This is so disgusting, I wonder how Roger Speicher sleeps at night knowing that he ripped off so many people.

He blatently continued to take money/deposits from clients knowing he faced bankruptcy.  This is such bull****.  I'm not one to cuss or complain, but I am just beside myself.

I know things will be better, but right now I am so screwed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at the Philmore on Broadway?  You can google it and find information about it.  I believe it is rather new and therefore may not be completely booked yet.

The art museum just remodled and they have in past held banquets and receptions there.  Brides may have held back reserving there since it was closed for over a year and there was not much talk about what it would turn out like.

Again, this is really shitty. 

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It cut me off mid post....

I wish you the best of luck.  I am here to bounce ideas off of, if needed.
  • Shay022Shay022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, cool.  I will check these places out. Thanks!  Right now our only options are the Holiday Inn IPFW and Elegant Occasions.  Still need to hear from FW History Center.  Autumn Ridge is a possibility, but a bride is already close to booking them... You also just reminded me, I want to check out Venue 2020 or Bergstaff Place...its a very neat place, but I just personally don't care for Ceruti's catering.

Hmm.  So many ideas.  Not much I can do when I live in Fishers.  I have a lot of phone calls to make........
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Shay022Shay022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    O.M.G.  The Philmore is beautiful!  I lived in Fort Wayne my whole life until last year, and I have never heard of it.  They are now on my call list!!  Ooh can't wait to find something better!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bergstaff Place is cool...I love the brick walls and the outdoor patio area. But I know what you mean about Ceruti's.

Another Idea...

Parkview Field (where the Tin Caps play)...not sure if they are in town for your date, but if not they do events.  My photog's husband works there, and she mentioned the events there are awesome.  You get the Suite Level Lounge area and their  caterer I hear is excellent.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, the Philmore looks beautiful from the website.  I think it just recently opened as a reception venue.  Last year Catablu, who was there before, closed their doors and moved southwest.  I believe it is completely remodeled inside.  I will be praying that all this works out for the best. 

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked up the Tin Cap schedule and unfortunately for you they are in town, so Parkview Field would not be available.

I will keep brainstorming.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YOLO Event Center--- 260 466-4988
    Its new as well. Up hear Glenbrook.  Have not heard anything about it, but it was advertised at a recent bridal show.

• Shay022Shay022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...never heard of YOLO either.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I shall split up some phone calls with my family and my florist, and see what we come up with.  Well I should probably try and get to bed, I have so many places to call in the morning.  Hopefully I can get to sleep, this has been one hell of a day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Depending on how much your deposit was, you might want to consider getting with the other people who were suppsed to use the Landmark and maybe taking the owner to small claims court. It is definitely illegal for him to take your deposit then not provide the expected service. I would be royally pisssed if I were one of those people getting married this weekend.
  • edited December 2011
    i know this is late. I just want to wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out for you! I would take him to small claims court like pp. That's horrible
    Photobucket
  • Shay022Shay022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes I will probably follow into the small claims court.  I have already filed a complaint with the BBB, and also filed with the Indiana state attorney general.

I called the local news stations, and Indiana News Center is very interested in my story.  We'll see where we go, I hear it is awfully hard to get back money when some one has gone bankrupt.

Now I am off to go find a new venue with a competing bride...

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100318/BIZ/303189991 check out this article
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That's a great article, and it's so nice to see people in the (bridal-based) community helping out. Good to know there are some honest people out there.
  • huneamhuneam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try the Fort Wayne Community Center, they are pretty cheap and might be able to accomodate you if the other places can't. I'm having my reception there.
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • cutie02girlcutie02girl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you need help with food, decorations etc Google Wedding Dreams By Linda. This woman is truly amazing and she will go way overboard to help you with everything. :)

Good luck. Definitely thinking of you....
    "I believe in the sun when its not shining, in love when I am alone, and in God when He is silent."
  • edited December 2011
    no NO GIRL!!  they HAVE to give you your deposit back!!!  what does the contract say?  that's total b.s.  Yell
  • suebeehonisuebeehoni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you paid for your deposit by credit card try to dispute the charge as fraud.  That would be your best route.  Small claims court will probably not do much good as that would be a cliam they could probably just add into thier bankruptcy claim.  Small claims will just cost you money with very little result. 
  • Shay022Shay022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We will probably never see the money again.  They took off with my cash and a check.  I did not use my credit card (really wish I used it).  But who would have thought a very well liked venue would shut down and run off with everyone's deposit and some receptions paid in full... The owner is heartless!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so late on this but check out Sheriff's Reserve.. not so pretty on the outside but really great on the inside.. really good price and can accomadate that amount. YOLO will be about the same but they are new so i doubt they're booked. the 4-h fair grounds.. same thing!

i've also heard that ceruti's are bailing out as many people as they can from this whole landmark thing.. i'm so sorry this happened to you!! good luck girl!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards