Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Makeup trial failure - having a meltdown

Hi ladies,
I went in for my makeup trial yesterday, and it was just awful. I left the salon looking like an oompa loompa in tears. The town that I'm getting married in is tiny, with only a few salons, and I don't know what to do. My options now are to diy my makeup, or pay someone to drive out there. I'm freaking out because how I look is one of the most important things to me for the wedding, and I'm not very makeup saavy. I haven't found anyone who's willing to drive out either. My wedding is in 2 months, and I'm freaking out. I've been pretty mellow and chill throughout the planning process, but I'm seriously having a mental breakdown over this. I don't know what to do :(
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Makeup trial failure - having a meltdown

• Do you have a girlfriend who's make up savy? It might be easiest to DIY your make up if you can get a girlfriend to give you some pointers.
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Or even get make-up lessons. Alot of places around here does them for a reasonable price or free with product purchase. If you can find a place in your city you can get lessons and practice lots between now and the wedding.
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Can you talk to the MUA and tell her you don't like it? Can you go in for another trial? As the vendor, it's her job to serve you well, hairdressers are supposed to fix your hair if they eff it up, same thing with the MUA.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Youtube has alot of videos on how to apply makeup properly yourself for different looks and what colors go best with your complexion or eye color. And always be truthfull with your MUA, she probably thought she did a good job. Just let her know, that your not pleased and want to try a new look. You still have plenty of time, trust me, I have 2 months to go too!
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • If you are very concerned about having your make up perfect on your wedding day, I would find someone out of town, and hire them. They might charge you a mileage fee, but it would be worth it.
  • It's really not that bad to DIY your makeup. I second the getting a makeup lesson.

If you're close to an Ulta or Sephora they offer this service and can really talk you through it, then it's just about practicing on yourself until you feel comfortable.
  • I def would call the place you got it done at and tell them you are very unhappy and would like to try out someone new for free. If you still arent happy then go from there. Hiring someone to come out could be your best bet. But I'd def let the place know how unhappy you are!
  • A makeup lesson is not only great for DIY wedding makeup but also for everyday tips and tricks.  As a makeup artist myself I also like when people bring in pictures.  I know some MUAs hate that but I dissagree because even though I can't make you look exactly like the person in the picture, right away it gives me an idea of what you are looking for and how dramatic/natural you want to go.  A good consultation is soooo important ( I spend about 20 minutes just getting details about my brides and talking) and sometimes unfortunately MUAs forget that.  If you do go to Sephora/Ulta or wherever for a makeup lesson bring a picture.  It should make it clear what you are wanting especially when it can be hard to verbalize.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-trial-failure-having-a-meltdown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:291617e4-07e4-440c-a5f3-ed5c8ca5831cPost:c90db523-743c-4e93-850a-1169a24371d8">Makeup trial failure - having a meltdown</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, I went in for my makeup trial yesterday, and it was just awful. I left the salon looking like an oompa loompa in tears. The town that I'm getting married in is tiny, with only a few salons, and I don't know what to do. My options now are to diy my makeup, or pay someone to drive out there. I'm freaking out because how I look is one of the most important things to me for the wedding, and I'm not very makeup saavy. I haven't found anyone who's willing to drive out either. My wedding is in 2 months, and I'm freaking out. I've been pretty mellow and chill throughout the planning process, but I'm seriously having a mental breakdown over this. I don't know what to do :(
    Posted by Peacebone[/QUOTE]

Have you posted this on your local board?  You may find someone in your area who has a recommendation.  In the end if you can't find anyone in town, I'd probably pay someone to come out.  I found most vendors would only charge a travel fee if it were over a one hour drive.   And even then, it wasn't exhorbitant compared to the price of the services.  You'll probably just drive out to them for the trial.   
  • Thanks for all the tips and advice. I've had some time to calm down and collect myself. It's not as big as I was making it seem in my head.

I've decided that I will go the DIY route for makeup. It can't be that hard! I'm going to Sephora with my Mom this weekend to get some advice. This way, I'm gaining some makeup skills that I may be able to use for the rest of my life! Plus, I have an excuse to spend $40 on foundation Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good luck with the DIY! I'm going that route myself; just make sure to practice lots! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-trial-failure-having-a-meltdown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:291617e4-07e4-440c-a5f3-ed5c8ca5831cPost:f2c2aba7-6959-4f27-8872-8e4c39db946b">Re: Makeup trial failure - having a meltdown</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good luck with the DIY! I'm going that route myself;<strong> just make sure to practice lots! :)</strong>
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>And take pictures to see how you look.  A makeup artist tends to go a bit heavier on the makeup too so it shows up nicely in photos.

</div>
  • I like Mary Kay. Have someone come over and teach you to do your own bridal makeup. When I had mine she taught me how to do it on myself rather than HER doing it. So I learned a lot. And it's free. Just go to marykay.com.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-trial-failure-having-a-meltdown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:358Discussion:291617e4-07e4-440c-a5f3-ed5c8ca5831cPost:c90db523-743c-4e93-850a-1169a24371d8">Makeup trial failure - having a meltdown</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, I went in for my makeup trial yesterday, and it was just awful. I left the salon looking like an oompa loompa in tears. The town that I'm getting married in is tiny, with only a few salons, and I don't know what to do. My options now are to diy my makeup, or pay someone to drive out there. I'm freaking out because how I look is one of the most important things to me for the wedding, and I'm not very makeup saavy. I haven't found anyone who's willing to drive out either. My wedding is in 2 months, and I'm freaking out. I've been pretty mellow and chill throughout the planning process, but I'm seriously having a mental breakdown over this. I don't know what to do :(
    Posted by Peacebone[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about being self conscious about makeup and your overall look that day.  It is important to us!  I have a MUA but initially I did not like the airbrush trial--I have problematic skin due to a hormonal condition and I wanted more coverage.  I did however like how she did the rest of my face, esp eyes, which is important.  So, I have been working with her and playing around in Sephora myself to find a foundation that makes me feel a little more confident.  However, Im going to let her apply it that day.  My point is, did you not like one thing about the trial, or EVERYthing? If it is something that can be altered, maybe talk to her and see if you can both come up with what you want/need to change.  When you say oompa loompa, are you saying the foundation color was off? Or did you feel you were overly made up?  I wouldnt attempt to do your own makeup honestly if you are not a makeup person normally.  I normally am a makeup person, but light mineral makeup so I didnt know the first thing about applying /choosing liquid foundations properly and have learned a lot through the process of finding my right foundation.  Even after practicing with the foundation myself, I still wouldnt do it myself that day.  If you really dont like the makeup artist, many of the girls/ladies I meet at sephora happen to be makeup artists on the side--let them do a trial for you and maybe one of them will be perfect for you! Try to stay calm but get to a sephora asap.  If you are thinking liquid foundation, I dont know what your skin type is, but the general consensus is Makeup Forever is a great brand for foundations for wedding day.  And one last thing, make sure they match your color correctly for the foundation--I got color matched wrongly by the same lady twice! Always check out your foundation color in artificial and natural lighting.  Good luck, itll all work out in the end!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards