Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Rehearsal Dinner Options?

Hello all. As most of you know, I am getting married at the Twentieth Century Club in Oakland. I'm trying to think of a rehearsal dinner location around there that wouldn't break the bank (maybe around $20/person?). My FMIL would like a cocktail party as opposed to a dinner.

I haven't lived in Pittsburgh for a while, and the last time I hung around Oakland was high school/early college (we're talking late 90s early 2000s), so I am drawing a complete blank. The Wyndham (where a lot of guests are staying) has a free shuttle within a 3 mile radius so I'd like to keep the RD within that.

Any suggestions??

Thank you for any help!
RT + JB
Wedding Countdown Ticker
The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.

Re: Rehearsal Dinner Options?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You can do a sit down at Spaghetti Warehouse for that price (less, actually), and it is pretty close to the 3 mile radius.

You can also try Joe Mamma's or Fuel & Fuddle in Oakland. They are more casual, but they have rooms for private events and could fit the budget. 

Honestly, I can't think of many places that are fancier, and that could do a cocktail-type event for $20pp.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are lots of options on Forbes Ave for cocktails, but none are swanky at all.  They're mostly college hangouts.  Like Fuel and Fuddle has a downstairs room you could rent out with drinks and apps, would be under $20, but it's a place that smells a lot like beer. lol.  There is an Italian restaurant (Joe Mamas) on the same corner, with an upstairs, but I have no idea their appetizer menu.  Qdoba has an upstairs with a bar you can rent, but I doubt they are appetizer friendly.  Those are the only places that come to mind with separate rooms, but I'll ask around.  Oh - there are some places further down off forbes - south craig street, like union grill and such but they don't have a separate room so you'd be in the general mix. 

What about having something at the hotel?  The Wyndham has a decent bar area and the service is good. 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a really good Italian restaurant in Oakland called More' - I'm not sure if they do RDs or not but the food is excellent! I couldn't find a website for them but here is the pgh city search listing... My dad and I go ALL the time as it is right near his office!! worth a try maybe! I'm trying to think of more places... what about something in Shadyside?! It is pretty close and I'm sure they have some good restaurants!

http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/8608795/pittsburgh_pa/more_restaurant.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am flexible on the price, I just don't want $50-$100/PP for a RD, but if I can find a great place then maybe I can negotiate on price. I am open to Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, South Side, downtown.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Toast! on baum blvd in Shadyside is an option if you're willing to go there.  It's going to cut the 3 mile radious close though.  Their food is FANTASTIC! and it only seats about 25-30 people.  It is likely to be pricey though.  The wine is quite steep (think $11-14 per glass), but the owners may be willing to work with you on price.

If you wanted to do something completely unusual, Tandoor Grill has amazing food and is byob with NO corkage fee.  Their matar paneer is out of this world. They are on Corner of Centre and South Craig.

Another idea is doc's in Shadyside on Walnut.  Their food is kind of eh, but they have an upstairs room/deck with a separate bar and work out great specials with our Pitt law bar review deals, so I bet for a RD they'd work something as well.  Their private room has separate stairs and everything.

Walnut Grill on Walnut also has an upstairs, but it likely to be $$ and I doubt they would let you have a private room on a Friday - plus there is a bar upstairs that gets quite loud.  However, their food and appetizer menu is extensive and quite good. 

I'll keep thinking! 
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You definitely don't have to spend $50+ for a RD.

Does your MIL want a cocktail party to cut costs or because that is the kind of atmosphere she wants? It is definitely possible to do a full meal for $20; I used Spaghetti Warehouse, but I know the Wyndham's RD prices aren't that bad either because we looked into that as a hotel for awhile before ruling it out.

A RD is not mandatory, but I think if you are inviting people to an event around a meal time, it needs to involve a full meal. Many people will work all day, go to the rehearsal, then go to the event, and will expect a dinner at the rehearsal dinner, not just apps, IMO. Now if she calls it a "cocktail party" after the rehearsal, I'd make it clear it isn't a dinner and let people go and get something to eat before it.

HTH!
  • Options
    CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my RD at the Wyndham.  It was perfect and about $15pp without alcohol.  MIL got an package that including certain beers and wine but nothing else. 
    image Ivory
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She wants the atmosphere of a cocktail party. She's from Spain, so tapas usually equal a meal (that's what she is thinking.) She wants people to mingle and chat, as opposed to just sit and eat.

I agree with you Kwynn. I'm trying to change her mind, I suggested PNC park and she made a "face." I'll keep trying!

RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about Lucca in Oakland?  They have the porch area that could be separated out for a small group.  Love their food and their wine list!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Would she like Ibiza in South Side? Spanish Tapas and great Spanish wines.

You could also do something cute at a Mexican Restaurant. Mexican is usually easy to do as finger foods. There is one right on Atwood (is it still open?). Or, you could try Indian food. India Garden on Atwood?

Bangkok Balcony in Squirrel Hill would also fit the bill. Or Sweet Basil on Murray Ave. In Shadyside, Soba would make good app selections (and great cocktails!).

I'll keep thinking of good apps/finger foods restaurants...
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    India Garden is still open as is Mad Mex  (mexican at the end of atwood).  There is another mexican restaurant on Forbes, can't recall the name, never been there- Tandoor Grill that I suggested on Baum blvd has a very cool vibe inside for Indian food, with BYOB no corkage fee.  India Garden has a full bar. 

I echo the Ibiza idea - the food there is so good!  There is a tapas place in Boomfield on Liberty and there may be a tapas place on walnut in Shadyside.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ast11ast11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are going for cocktail atmosphere you might want to check out Bossa Nova Downtown. We looked at it for our RD and they have some cool options. It might be a little more than $20 a person depending on what types of choices you make but it definitely has a cocktail party vibe to it.
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You guys, this thread is making me crave every kind of ethnic food I can think of.  YUM :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should see how you feel after you google these places and look at their menus... I'm STARVING!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should live within walking distance to all of them - lol.  I need to resist!!!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards