Wedding Woes
Options

Houseguest questions

1. Imagine you are staying with a family member or close friend for the weekend.  Do you use their shampoo/conditioner or bring your own?

2.  What do you expect people to do when staying with you?  Do you hide the good shampoo?

3.  After a guest leaves, do you change the sheets immediately so that they are fresh for the next guest?  Or wait until another visit is pending so that the sheets are as fresh as possible?

4.  When you stay with someone else to you strip the bed as a courtesy to your host?  Make the bed before you leave? Leave the bed in a slept-in mess?

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Houseguest questions

• Options
    hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1) i bring my own.

2) as the host, i expect to provide everything.  as the guest, i expect to provide my own.

3) we change the sheets immediately.  what if they peed on them? 

4) i make the bed up, but i fold the blanket at the foot.
  • Options
    PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    1. I do not use their toiletries. 2. I leave toiletries in the bathroom for them to use if they choose. Just travel sized containers of the basics. 3. Change immediately. I wash the sheets but just leave them folded in the closet until the next guest comes. 4. Depends on the place.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1) I bring my own
    2) I always make sure I have enough of everything for my guests.  If I don't want them using something for some reason (I can't think of anything off the top of my head) I put it away.
    3) I'll strip them when I get to it...usually in the next week.
    4) I make the bed.
  • Options
    MNNEBrideMNNEBride member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_houseguest-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f8effcda-110b-4815-8b41-699a7db6215dPost:20590273-e0c1-4d7f-a387-8fa24a528699">Houseguest questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. Imagine you are staying with a family member or close friend for the weekend.  Do you use their shampoo/conditioner or bring your own? <strong>I bring my own, but if they have good stuff in the shower, I might try theirs</strong>. 2.  What do you expect people to do when staying with you?  Do you hide the good shampoo?<strong> I don't hide the good stuff.</strong>  3.  After a guest leaves, do you change the sheets immediately so that they are fresh for the next guest?  Or wait until another visit is pending so that the sheets are as fresh as possible? <strong>Change the sheets so they are ready if we have a guest on short notice.</strong> 4.  When you stay with someone else to you strip the bed as a courtesy to your host?  Make the bed before you leave? Leave the bed in a slept-in mess?  <strong>I ask if they want me to strip the bed.  If not, I make the bed before I leave.
    </strong>Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I stress over the sheet thing way too much in my guest room.  I prefer to wash the sheets immediately and put them back on so that there is one less thing to worry about the next time I have a guest.  But sometimes it is several months between guests and I wonder if they think I just never change the sheets in there because they don't smell like fabric softener anymore.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. Ewww at using other peoples stuff. I would use my mom's or sister's, but not a friend.

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. Sometimes I'll take off the sheets, but I always make the bed.

I also make sure my luggage, and crap are out of the way, and people don't have to trip over my stuff.
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_houseguest-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:f8effcda-110b-4815-8b41-699a7db6215dPost:57a04443-037c-45cb-8e14-af5d58019216">Re: Houseguest questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. Ewww at using other peoples stuff. I would use my mom's or sister's, but not a friend. 2. No. 3. Yes. 4. Sometimes I'll take off the sheets, but I always make the bed.<strong> I also make sure my luggage, and crap are out of the way, and people don't have to trip over my stuff.
    </strong>Posted by NOLABridesmaid[/QUOTE]

You are an angel, Nola.  The thing that drives me crazy about BFF visits are that she manages to explode all over the house with her stuff.  She was here for one (ONE!!) night last month but had to immediately unpack all of her toilletries all over our bathroom.   Other friend unpacked all of her stuff in the other bathroom.  Really?  You need a hairbrush and hair gel within a foot of the bathroom sink every single time you visit the restroom during your 24 hour visit?  Really?

When I stay with someone I take my toiletry bag into the bathroom, do my business, and then take them back out and put them back into my suitcase.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    nicoleg1982nicoleg1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Bring my own unless I am staying at Mom's.  Then I just use Mom's.  She let me use her uterus.  I'm sure she doesn't mind if I use an ounce of shampoo.

2.  I don't hide anything and people use it if they want.  Depending on the level of the relationship and comfort, I may or may not think it is tacky.  Use at your own risk of being judged, I suppose.

3.  Change immediately.  Dust mites live on those dead cells, long after the person is gone.

4.  Make the bed.  IDK their laundry schedule/routine or that their machine can hold the bedding.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. BYOB.
    2. One rule: Don't use my loofah.
    3. I change the sheets right after a guest leave and right before a guest arrives. This means cleaning clean sheets, I know.
    4. I make the bed.
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    1) Bring my own, because I'm particular.

2) We have some in the guest shower, and sometimes people bring their own, sometimes they don't. 

3) I wash the sheets right before another visit.

4) Depends where/how long I stay. At BFF's, I strip the bed and usually start the laundry. At my mom's, I make the bed. At bros', I ask what they'd like. And usually if I'm just staying one night, I just make the bed. 

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. I bring my own.

2. We have our own bath, but pu travel size in the guest bath.  Which reminds me I need to move stuff down there since that's the guest bath now.

3. I wait to change the sheets.  If it's MIL again I don't bother to wash them.  (FYI- some of us prefer not to smell fabric softener.)

4. I make up the bed. 

The exploding "stuff" drives me batty.  MIL brings a suitcase, a camera bag, a computer bag, a tote bag, and her clothes on hangers.  FOR ONE NIGHT!
  • Options
    AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    1. Imagine you are staying with a family member or close friend for the weekend.  Do you use their shampoo/conditioner or bring your own?  Use my own shampoo/conditioner for colored hair, but will use other stuff that's there. 

2.  What do you expect people to do when staying with you?   Bring their own, but I have a basket of hotel toiletries in our guest bath in case they don't.   Do you hide the good shampoo? What's that? 

3.  After a guest leaves, do you change the sheets immediately so that they are fresh for the next guest?  Or wait until another visit is pending so that the sheets are as fresh as possible?  I wait until another visit is pending, but I've been burned by that so I should probably change my ways.

4.  When you stay with someone else to you strip the bed as a courtesy to your host?  Make the bed before you leave? Leave the bed in a slept-in mess?   Make the bed before I leave.

Also, I visit OOT BFF's every month or so and keep a stash of stuff there.  I have my own drawer in their guest bathroom.   OOT BFF's have a stash of stuff at our house, too, for when they visit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards