Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

question about the order of things?

We are getting married in a Baptist Church. I haven't spoken with our pastor yet about this so I wanted to ask you guys first.

What is the order of the ceremony? Is there a specific way it needs to go?

The way I have it planned in my head as far as vows, rings, and the unity part is I want to say our vows, play a song. Have the preacher say a little something explaining the unity ceremony since we are doing sand and not the traditional candle in the Church. Some of the older crowd may not understand the point. Then while we are doing the sand have another song played and after we are done walk back and stand until the song has played..then do our exchanging of the rings and be announced man and wife. I mentioned this to my mom and I don't think she liked it or thought it was right or something she said I had to do rings right after vows. Do I? Or can I do it differently? I mean I guess instead of vows/song/explaination/sand/rings/announcement we CAN do it vows/rings/song/explaination/sand/announcement but I guess I just wanted it a little different. Is there a specific way that is the right way?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: question about the order of things?

• naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Since you're getting married in a Baptist church there will probably be an order of service that is already set.  Your pastor may allow some flexibility, but it will likely be all laid out for you already.  I would ask him first and get the information from him, they may have restrictions or limits on what you can do or what kind of music you can use.

If he's okay with you adding in something extra during the ceremony (like unity candles or sand) then you should supply him with some wording (obviously he'd need to OK it) that you'd like him to use to explain it.  Alternatively you could put a description in the program.

We had a Lutheran ceremony and our order of service was this:

GATHERING
    Prelude                 
    Processional
    Words of Welcome & Introduction
    Statement of Purpose
    Prayer of Approach
    Legal Admonition
    Declaration of Intent

WORD
    Prayer of Preparation
    Hymn
    Reading 1
    Reading 2
    Reading 3
    Meditation (Sermon by the pastor)

ACT OF COVENANTING
    Invocation of the Spirit
    Exchange of Vows
    Exchange of Rings

Declaration of Marriage

Blessing of the Couple

Marriage Prayer

The Lord’s Prayer

SENDING FORTH
    The Benediction
    The Signing of the Register
    Presentation of the Couple
    Recessional

• Our Pastor of our Church already has my music list to approve. They're fine with regular music music as long as there isn't any profanity or anything derogitory. Not sure if I spelled that right. The Pastor of the Church isn't the one marrying us though. Not that I have anything against him. I just wanted someone that knew my Dad. He passed away in 08 so it was important to me..like at least if the Pastor knew him they would know he approved of the marriage. The Pastor of my Church is my cousininlaw so he understood. The pastor who is marrying us is my cousin, his wifes uncle. Its on the other side of the family than what I'm on. I've known him since I was a baby. He's a really laid back guy and he likes to make people laugh so I'm pretty sure the ceremony won't be super serious cut and dried. We also aren't having programs either. I think its kind of a waste. I've never been to a wedding in my Church that didn't have a unity ceremony. I just chose sand because its a keepsake that lasts forever whereas the candle isn't. I already have a reading for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards