DC

Affordable and recommended caterers in the DMV

Fiancé and I are planning on having around 125 people (a little less hopefully - maybe 115) at our wedding.  We need ideas for a caterer, for a bride on a tight budget (it could be increased, but would rather spend to help with a home purchase).  Please share your catering experiences.

I am having my reception in Northern VA. Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Affordable and recommended caterers in the DMV

• edited December 2011

I met with a bunch of caterers, but not sure if I can help - what is your budget?

• edited December 2011
    I hate to be the voice of doom, but depending on what you mean by "affordable," it will probably be difficult.  We expect the exact number of people (125) at our wedding.  After contacting more than 20 caterers, we were unable to find any that that could accomodate that number of people in the $10,000 range (especially if you wanted an alcohol package and a cocktail hour).  If you don't want alcohol or cocktails and your venue includes tables and chairs, and you just stick to water and iced tea -no soda - the cheapest we were able to find for 125 people was just under $7000.  We ditched caterers all together and we found a place we can self-cater.  SO much cheaper! 
    Melissa Trying to plan a budget wedding in the DC area http://www.superNoVAbride.com
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I know Chesapeake Beach Resort was just under $10000 for venue, alcohol and catering for 150.  Other than that, I've been pretty shell shocked with pricing in this area...
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Better Events Catering (Fairfax) and Six Star Catering (Strasburg/Winchester).  They were our two most competitive bids and come very highly recommended.
  • blinkybeerblinkybeer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Helga's Catering has been outstanding to work with and their tasting was exceptional.
  • mcshell14mcshell14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Kitchen Gourmet - they are absolutely amazing! Great food, incredibly responsive and relatively inexpensive. My wedding isn't until September, but I have loved working with them so far!!! 
  • Veronica&MattVeronica&Matt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow ladies, what great help!!! I will call them all.  Now with the photographer.. / :
  • jeinw001jeinw001 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second the Kitchen Gourmet response! They really did everything possible to work within my budget! Dave has been awesome to work with and very great with answering any questions and concerns in a VERY timely manner! (not to mention everything I've tasted from them have been delicious!) 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_affordable-recommended-caterers-dmv?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:57Discussion:91b7159e-0f64-440b-b516-b19ace5e6a62Post:594e6cd8-dc5f-41e6-b8ec-4823609a93b7">Re: Affordable and recommended caterers in the DMV</a>:
    [QUOTE]Check out Kitchen Gourmet - they are absolutely amazing! Great food, incredibly responsive and relatively inexpensive. My wedding isn't until September, but I have loved working with them so far!!! 
    Posted by mcshell14[/QUOTE]

This is who we are going with and everyone has been impressed with the quote we got.  My friend used them and had nothing but wonderful things to say about how they worked with her budget and were so accomodating.  I attended that wedding and the food was great and I never would have guessed that she was trying to save money. :-)
    White Knot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards