North Carolina
Options

Farmer's Market Question

Hey girls! Question about the farmer's market in Raleigh:

We're having 7 tables at the rehearsal dinner and FMIL and I wanted to just buy some flowers and put them in vases for CPs.  Our original idea was to just get some at Sam's Club or a grocery store the day before. I scoped out Sam's Club recently and they have a nice variety of flowers, but they don't have enough of the same color so that we could have 7 matching CPs, if that makes sense.  ANYWAY, my second plan is to buy flowers at the farmer's market, but I know nothing about it.  Their website says they're open every day, but do they have everything out on week days, or is the selection much better on the weekend? We would go on a Thursday (next week, actually).  Has anyone been recently that could give me a report on the types of flowers they have? I don't think I've ever been to the farmer's market and I'm scared of taking chances!
image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10

Re: Farmer's Market Question

• Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Raleigh market has more things out on weekends.  I've only seen one cut flower vendor out so far this year, and that was on a weekend.  I haven't been there during the week in a while.  They had lillies and irises.  There are many more options if you're interested in potted flowers.  There's one vendor that has beautiful succulents, they're so pretty, it's making me consider potted succulents as centerpieces.

The Fresh Market in Cameron Village and the Whole Foods on Wade both have cut flowers.  I was at the Fresh Market today, they had lillies, tulips, roses, daisies, asters and some other varities that I can't remember right now.

There's also a Harris Teeter in Cameron Village that may have a good selection.
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    The weekend has a better selection, but then again, you could get a better deal during the week probably.

What about getting pottable plants? Like hydrangas or something? Would that work? If it would, the farmers market is DEF the place to go :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think a potted hydrangea tabletop would be conversation inhibiting, those things are huge.  But potted is good.

I came back to add.  If you have time, and can go tomorrow to scope it out and talk to people, you'll probably be better off.  If they know you're coming back on Thursday for that many matching flowers they'll probably be willing to cut that many and bring them on a weekday.  But they may not have that many matching on a typical Thursday without a heads-up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good to know! I'll check out Fresh Market & Whole Foods! That might be the route we end up going....
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If none of that works out, try Trader Joes. My mom talked to them and she said that the lady there said that if she calls about a week or so before she needs a special amount or kind of flowers, she can see if they can order some or get them for you.  Trader Joes always has the best flowers, so you should def. consider just going to see what they have or getting them to get you something.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh yeah....I saw that you used them for your bridal portrait bouquet.  Thanks for the reminder! There's a Trader Joe's right now the street from FMIL's house.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been to the Raleigh market, but any flowers I've bought at farmer's markets before have come in bouquets, not singles you could make into your own bouquets. But maybe your market is a bit different. I think the flowers that are in season right now are things like tulips, lilies, etc. You'd also have to keep in mind what is in season for farmers. Good luck in your search. :D
  • Options
    krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend got married in Oct. and they used flowers from the Farmer's Market and it worked out great - they picked them up on Thursday.  She went about a month ahead of time and talked to different flower vendors and worked out something with one of them to be sure she'd be there on the thurs. before the wedding.  the flowers were gorgeous (and super cheap!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would check out the new Harris Teeter at North Hills.  I think they have a large flower section.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Man, anyone who hasn't been out to the Farmers' Market before needs to go ASAP.  That's one of my all-time favorite places in the Triangle :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When is your wedding? Most farmer's markets are seasonal. Things don't really get going in terms of flowers until early May. It will pick up significantly by June. And yes, weekends usually get the most vendors. Depending on the flowers, you can get some as early as Saturday for Thursday depending on vase life. Make sure there are no signs of wilting or browness anywhere. Then hydrate when you get home and keep them in a cool place (not near any veggies unless you have buds you want to open faster) and low light.

Farmer's markets rock - I always come home with an armload of blooms.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards