Military Brides

POW/MIA table

Hi all!  I was hoping for a bit of help.  My fiance is a Marine (no longer active duty) and would like to have a POW MIA table at our wedding.  I have been seeing many variations of it online, but would like to make sure that we get it right.  
This is the most common: (any input would be appreciated!)
POW / MIA Table

This small table occupies a place of dignity and honor. It is SET FOR ONE. Symbolizing the fact that members of our armed forces are missing from our ranks. They are refried to as POWs and MIAs. WE CALL THEM COMRADES. They are unable to be with their loved ones and families, so we join together to pay humble tribute to them, and to bear WITNESS to their continued ABSENCE.

The TABLE is small, symbolizing the frailty of one prisoner,,, alone,,, against his or her suppressors.

The TABLECLOTH IS WHITE, symbolic of the purity of their intentions to respond to their Country's call to arms.

The SINGLE ROSE in the vase signifies the blood they may have shed in sacrifice to ensure the freedom of our beloved United States of America. This rose also reminds us of the family and friends of our missing comrades who keep faith, while awaiting their return.

The RED RIBBON on the vase represents the red ribbons worn on the lapels of the thousands who demand,, with unyielding determination a proper account of our comrades who are not among us.

A SLICE OF LEMON on the plate reminds us of their bitter fate.

The SALT sprinkled on the plate reminds us of the countless fallen tears of families as they wait.

The GLASS is inverted, they cannot toast with us at this time.

The CHAIR is empty, they are NOT here.

The CANDLE is reminiscent of the light of hope, which lives in our hearts to illuminate their way home,, away from their captors,, to the open arms of a grateful nation.

The AMERICAN FLAG reminds us that many of them may NEVER return and have paid the supreme sacrifice to insure our freedom.

Let us pray to the SUPREME COMMANDER that ALL of our comrades will soon be back within our ranks.

Let us remember - and never forget their sacrifice.

May GOD forever watch over them and protect them and their families.

Re: POW/MIA table

• It's the same as a birthday ball table obviously. I would have one and frame a page with the info. I wouldn't read it like they do at the ball, but that's up to you and him.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • I also REALLY encourage you to have this printed in your program and not read aloud.  That will be a major joy killer as everyone stops and thinks about those who didn't return from service.  Everytime I am at a function where this is done it really brings a somber tone to the room, as it should.  I don't think you want that at your reception though. 
  • Oh absolutely.  I'm just looking to confirm that this is an accurate list (correct items)  I keep seeing variations online  red bow on the vase vs. yellow.  I want to make sure im accurate  
  • We call it the Fallen Comrade Table since it is supposed to represent all who have fallen, not just the POW/MIA. 

Here is an example
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm in ALS right now and we have a POW/MIA table at the entrance of the school.  The vase has a yellow ribbon, not red.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_powmia-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ba78c7ea-4154-4c98-afbb-8bdd11dd9374Post:c9d185e1-8b87-415c-836e-445bd140d122">Re: POW/MIA table</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in ALS right now and we have a POW/MIA table at the entrance of the school.  The vase has a yellow ribbon, not red.
    Posted by Victoria2013[/QUOTE]

That's because the yellow represents anticipation of return.  When you use a red ribbon on a Fallen Comrade table it includes those who have been KIA and represents the blood shed by those KIA/POW/MIA. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards