Military Brides
Options

Can't believe some people...

What's the worst job application/interview experience you have?  Because I just had quite an unprofessional snot!

So I applied for a position teaching English as a second language a few weeks ago.  The lady responded asking for a time to call, I gave her one.  And then she didn't call, so I sent her an email.  So she called during work and left a voicemail, so I called back that evening and left her a voicemail and haven't heard from her since.

And then this transpires today (via email, with a few more "Dear So-and-So" and "Best regards, So-and-So" thrown in):

Andrea: 
I send me your resume a few weeks back in regards to the teaching position. Please give me a call at your earliest convinience.

Me:
I gave you a call last week and left a voicemail.  I'm happy to call again this evening, if it's convenient.

Andrea:
It seems to me that you already have a job. What would be your availability in case we were to give you this position?

Me:
It entirely depends on the position. I do have a job, but I am not thrilled with it. I would be interested to discuss the role and how it might fit what I am ultimately looking to do, which is teach ESOL or Spanish as a second language.

Andrea:
It might be possible for me to offer you a few classes in the evening before you actually make any decisions about your present job. After what time are you available in the evenings?

Me:
I finish work at 6pm on Miami Beach. That would be a very interesting arrangement, and I'd certainly be interested in exploring it further.  Let's schedule a time to speak when it is convenient.

Andrea:
At what time do you make it to (location of teaching role)?

Me:
I could say 7pm to be safe, since traffic is unpredictable. I live in (nearby neighborhood), and usually make it home before 6:30pm.

Andrea:
That is too late! I would need you to teach group classes that start at 6:00 pm. In case we feel this is a good fit, do you think you can make arrangements to get here at that time?

Me:
I would have to see if my current company would shift my hours so I'd end at 5pm, which is likely.

Andrea:
Do you think that with rush hour traffic you would be able to make it to (location of teaching role) in an hour?

Andrea (sends an email immediately after):
Well, let me answer the question for you. You won't! I've tried it before and there is way too much traffic at that time. I don't think we would be able to work it out.

Me (shocked at the sarcasm and total lack of professionalism):
Okay, well, thank you for the consideration and best wishes in finding a teacher.

Andrea:
Thank you for applying.

Andrea (immediately writes back):
Are you available on Saturdays?

Like, are you for serious, lady?  You don't keep phone appointments, you drop the ball and don't respond to a voicemail for over two weeks, you speak to me with condescention and sarcasm, and you want me to give up my Saturdays to work for you?  Helllllll no!

I don't think I'm even going to respond.

Anniversary

Re: Can't believe some people...

• Options
    KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow. I would be pissed. 

You handled that quite well
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    UGH Annoying!  I hate the whole interview process.  Resume, phone and in person interview. 

I applied for a job a XYZ University (I don't want to give the name because I don't want to offend anyone) that trust me I was more than qualified for since I had worked in that profession for over seven years at that point. A little about the university, it is a very well known private university. 

The person doing the phone interview said to me "This is XYZ University so why we would hire you since you have never worked at a private, top tier university."  They went on to say that I have only worked at second tier or lower universities and they find it hard to believe that I would fit.  Well three weeks later after I took a job elsewhere they called and were very shocked that I didn't wait around on them. 

I really wanted to say to them who the heck cares about the tier of the univeristy.  Most people outside the education field don't give a crap. 
  • Options
    AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I applied for an IT job at the University I attend. I received an interview and prepared answers to questions and all that jazz.

The interviewer would ask me questions and them immediately answer them himself. For example, "Are you interested in SQL coding?.. *half a second pause*, I believe that everyone should have to work their way up from the bottom..when I was your age I was....(Long drawn out story about his life)...So what do you want to gain from this experience... *half second pause* I am looking for someone that will do A, B and C..."

It went on for an hour and all I could was smile and nod. He also called me a month later to tell me I didn't get the job (well duh you didn't let me answer any of your questions!) and kept talking for 30 minutes. I seriously wanted to be like "Dude, you didn't hire me, why are you still talking to me" I guess some people just like to listen to themselves talk.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    bahaha That chick is so dense... She wasted your time, basically finding a reason you shouldn't be hired there (at least that's what it sounds like), insults your theoretical time management skills (theoretical because she doesn't KNOW since it hasn't been put to practice for you yet), then suddenly is interested in you.
    Sounds like the kind of person everyone wants as a boss, no?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_cant-believe-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c04fa175-bd36-4e5f-b1f1-350febf786bcPost:e5923fa0-da54-4375-a6a3-da2105b08076">Re: Can't believe some people...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I applied for an IT job at the University I attend. I received an interview and prepared answers to questions and all that jazz. The interviewer would ask me questions and them immediately answer them himself. For example, "Are you interested in SQL coding?.. *half a second pause*, I believe that everyone should have to work their way up from the bottom..when I was your age I was....(Long drawn out story about his life)...So what do you want to gain from this experience... *half second pause* I am looking for someone that will do A, B and C..." It went on for an hour and all I could was smile and nod. He also called me a month later to tell me I didn't get the job (well duh you didn't let me answer any of your questions!) and<strong> kept talking for 30 minutes. I seriously wanted to be like "Dude, you didn't hire me, why are you still talking to me" I guess some people just like to listen to themselves talk.
    </strong>Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

I would have just hung up the phone.
    lol.
  • Options
    AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_cant-believe-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c04fa175-bd36-4e5f-b1f1-350febf786bcPost:1825911e-443a-4165-95cd-ed19d8553110">Re: Can't believe some people...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can't believe some people... : I would have just hung up the phone. lol.
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

Well, it is kind of hard to hang up on the VP of IT at the university. Ha. But I had already accepted another job so I just let him talk. I'm sure I would have quit soon after I started working there if I had gotten the job, I can't stand people that just talk for no reason.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, she sounds like a peach to work with :/

I went on an interview once where the guy totally discriminated against me for whatever reason. He kept telling me stuff like, "Well, you look like you would be a total pushover..." and the whole time I'm like, what the hell is going on? I kept laughing sarcastically at the guy, telling him, you've GOT to be joking with me. The last straw was when he asked if I could add. Shocked that he would say such a thing, I kinda sat there giving him the "are you serious" look. He took that for a dumb blank stare. He was like, ok, what's 50+68 or something like that. I answered the question and walked out. LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards