Delaware
Options

dress alterations

I know everyone has differing opinions on David's Bridal but I actually ended up with a good experience there and found an amazing dress!!  My question to those of you that have had experience there is do you recommend there alterations department or would it be better to go somewhere else?  I am a little scared to trust such huge place to get it right plus when I bought my dress they were telling me to schedule my first fitting 3 mos out. Is that right?? Any recommendations for other alteration places in the area? And how much should I expect to spend??
  Thanks for all the help ladies!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: dress alterations

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in the process of getting mine altered at DB.  I went in two weeks ago for my first fitting and everything went great.  I was in and out in 20 mins and they were nice.  I pick it up march 4th so I can let you know then!
  • Options
    wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i use a lady in dover. DB just wants too much for their alterations.
  • Options
    chemistry2000chemistry2000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wicked-Faery can you tell me who you used in Dover?  I'm getting married down state and have no idea where to go for alterations.   TIA

10/25/08 First Date 07/04/10 Engaged 09/10/11 Say I DO! Anniversary
  • Options
    kmd0501kmd0501 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I''ve also heard that DB can overcharge for their alterations but unfortunately I do not have anyone to reccomend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    her name is Anita Parsons. she's works out of her home. for my BM dress in 2009, she only charged $30 to take it in...i think my sister's gown was about $60 or so & there was a lot of work needed.

302 399-3394. she's "open" 9-5 mon-fri
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have heard some not so great things about DB's alterations.  Most people who I know who buy from there go elsewhere for alterations.

I used Sophia's Creative Alterations.  She was WONDERFUL.  My mom used her as well (my sisters' gown didn't need altering but for a hem, and my mom did those).  Not only was her work wonderful (everything held up fantastic; my bustle looked great the whole night through), she was fun to talk to and made the fittings fly by.  She's this little Greek lady with tons of stories.

Considering Jill Biden and Miss Delaware, among others, use her, I think she's got a decent reputation.

Here is her contact info.  If she doesn't pick up, leave a message- it means she's doing a fitting.

1601 Concord Pike, Ste 66, Wilmington, DE 19803
    (302) 777-7515

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies! I've been a lurker for awhile, but finally thought I'd contribute.  Or ask questions as the case may be...

I bought my dress at Brides and Grooms.  Faith was fantastic and I loved the place. I was wondering about some of these alteration horror stories though... I had always assumed I'd get my dress altered there. I will need a bustle, and I will most likely need it taken in at the waist (we ordered to bust size... of which mine are on the larger size). Now I'm nervous!

Also, if I decide to go somewhere else, how do I politely say that? Or I guess it happens so it won't be a big deal??

Glad to finally say hi!
    Elise
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Elise,
    First off, WELCOME!  CONGRATS!  It's so great to see you on here!  We would love to hear more about you, your wedding, your engagement, etc.  The girls on here are wonderful (as you probably already know by now)!

When your dress comes in, just tell them you are going to take it with you.  I dealt with Faith as well (LOVED her!!!  She was so awesome!), and she never brought up alterations or pressured me into having them done there, so I wouldn't be too concerned.  If it is brought up, I would just say something like, "we'll cross that bridge when we get there- right now I just want to bask in having my wedding dress!"  or "I am going to take it with me today; trying to lose weight and all, ya know?" or something like that.  You could just say "I plan on taking it with me today, and haven't really decided on alterations yet."  Usually, they will get the hint and move on. 

I would go someplace else.  It may cost a bit more (I know B&Gs get a ton of brides because they do that $250 max alteration charge), but you will be much happier.

I will give an example.  When my dress came in and I tried it on, the train, which had a blue colored insert, was attached weird.  The white edge had embellishment on it, and the blue part was only tacked to it (sewn loosely in a few spots).  I asked Faith about it, and she said it comes like that in case alterations are needed on the train and all (which makes sense, my mom said, and she's a pretty proficient sewer).  When the seamstress (who is also the owner, I think) came out, she told us she would GLUE it together all the way down.  That didn't sound right to either my mom or I.  Luckily, my dress came in a year before my wedding, so we took it with us.

We went to Sophia based on recommendations not only from several friends, but from almost every single occasion dress shop we went to when shopping for mothers' dresses.  When we showed her the train and asked her about the gluing it down, she was mortified.  She told us she would tighten the tacks in place and add several more to hold it together, but you couldn't sew or glue it shut because it would affect the flow of the fabric and train, as well as mess with the look of the colored train.  When she said that, my mom said that made perfect sense, and it really put me at ease.

My best friend from HS got married last July, and she got her dress at B&Gs.  She had her alterations done there, and had several issues with her gown (which was gorgeous, I was totally jealous!) the night of her wedding.  Many of the alterations issues I have heard of involve bustles breaking, too short or too long dresses, or taking the dress in too much and having issues after that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, a couple of other things for the rest of your girls:

Biggest tip, that I forgot to ask and have done for my dress as an alteration:

HAVE THE BEADING UNDER THE ARMS REMOVED! 

Otherwise, it rubs all day and night, and by the middle of your reception you will be stuffing napkins under your armpits to help ease the chafing from the beadwork.  I wish I had remembered to ask her to do it; don't suffer like I did!

For those looking for seamstresses, here are two more names, gotten off the Jennifer's in Hockessin website:

Susan Downes 302.593.3495
    Karen Schluter 610.742.3480
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards