Military Brides

Wedding Dresses

Has anyone ever bought a dress, or know someone that has, from PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com? I came across it and there are some really beautiful dresses that are definitely within my budget. They have all different styles and sizes, but I'm just nervous about getting one that is close to the right size. You can enter your measurments and search on the dresses, and I know I can get it altered if I need to, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this site or something similar?

Re: Wedding Dresses

• I haven't, but in general with wedding dresses you're usually a size up from normal.  If I were you I would double check the measurements with the website of whatever designer you are looking to buy before purchasing it.  

Also, just make sure that the dress isn't already altered.  Like you don't buy a 10 thinking it's really a 10 yet it was altered to an 8 already.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I girl on my month board sold hers through them and had a great experience. I think she shipped hers to the buyer, but if it's local, obviously I would just caution you on meeting internet strangers in a private place....I think it could be a great option though!
  • I agree with beach. I'd go a size up because it's easier to alter down. Good luck!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • A friend of mine sold hers on there. She paid for cleaning and allowed the bride-to-be to return it (at her cost) if she didn't like it iRL or on. She did say that it was hard to sell, it took her a year I believe.

I would steer clear of the all sales are final sellers. Had I known about it before I got married I would def. have used it.
  • Thanks ladies! I have an appointment in a couple weeks to go try on dresses at a local shop. I'm really hoping I'm able to find something within my price range. If not, I figured I would give that website a try. Wish me luck!!
  • A good friend of mine tried on a dress in a shop that was $5000, went online (I think she used OnceWed) and got the exact same dress for $1000. She had a great experience and the dress needed minimal alterations. I think trying on is great to get an idea, or maybe even a dress style, but if you're a pretty straight size I think this is a pretty good option.
  • Yeah, I'd definitely try some on to find something you like - once you know what you like, you can find something online.  If you saw some particular brand you loved on that website, go try it on before ordering it.  But once you have picked a style or even an exact design that you like, by all means use the website!  I love the idea of buying a pre-owned dress.  I am debating selling my own when the wedding is over.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:e032a3d6-31c9-49f8-8329-edbe8c2dcf44Post:886aa196-e3f1-4250-b6a8-1a72e134fc2b">Re: Wedding Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]  I am debating selling my own when the wedding is over.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

<div>I thought about this for a minute.... although I'd never expect my hypothetical daughter to wear it, in my family we are huge on saving impractical fancy dresses, even if we aren't likely to wear them ever again (carry over from Mardi Gras events). I decided against it.</div><div>
    </div><div>My wedding planner asked if I was doing a "trash the dress" session. Even if I were comfortable with the idea of selling it, I would never waste it in such a way that another bride couldn't benefit from it.</div><div>
    </div><div>Even my photog was horrified when my planner asked that (they were both present at the time).</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My wedding dress is currently hanging in my hall closet. I am not sure what I am going to do with it, part of me says donate it, but then I think I should keep it. Eventually I'll figure it out. Maybe. 
  • I'm planning on keeping my dress. I found a really cute and creative idea on Pinterest on how to display my dress so it's not just sitting in a dark closet for years.

Here's a picture of the idea. Wish I could share a link but my work just blocked the site! Cry

image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:e032a3d6-31c9-49f8-8329-edbe8c2dcf44Post:adf8fd3f-22c3-4e1e-b15e-a376482eb934">Re: Wedding Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Dresses : I thought about this for a minute.... although I'd never expect my hypothetical daughter to wear it, in my family we are huge on saving impractical fancy dresses, even if we aren't likely to wear them ever again (carry over from Mardi Gras events). I decided against it. My wedding planner asked if I was doing a "trash the dress" session. Even if I were comfortable with the idea of selling it, I would never waste it in such a way that another bride couldn't benefit from it. Even my photog was horrified when my planner asked that (they were both present at the time).
    Posted by LOLways[/QUOTE]

Actually, I am going to do a TTD session.  Not with paint or anything, just some pictures with our dog and doing poses I wouldn't do on my wedding day (like lying on the ground, or sitting on something that might be a bit dirty, like a rock).  If the dress can be cleaned and sold after, I will do that.  But it isn't some invaluable commodity that can't possibly be wasted - I am all for girls donating their dresses, but it isn't like you "owe it" to anyone to do it, you know?  It's a piece of fabric which is bought and paid for - it could be thrown out in the trash after the wedding.  It's like a book - sure, I can donate all my old books, or I can sell them, but I can throw them in the trash, too.  I bought 'em.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wedding-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:e032a3d6-31c9-49f8-8329-edbe8c2dcf44Post:5652c5fe-b9c6-4783-9a08-8692f53c1a34">Re: Wedding Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding dress is currently hanging in my hall closet. I am not sure what I am going to do with it, part of me says donate it, but then I think I should keep it. Eventually I'll figure it out. Maybe. 
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]

I have two hanging in my hall closet - one was never altered, never worn and still has the tags on it. They are next to my college grad gown, a formal gown from a masquerade ball and a bridesmaids dress I wore in 2005. Sheesh, I need to clean my closet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards