Chit Chat

Anyone have/had a hot tub??

So DH and I went to the home and garden show today and started talking about seriously putting in a hot tub in the back yard.  They're going to cost a bit more than we were wanting to spend, as we only want a small one (3-5 people maybe??).  Any suggestions on what we should be looking for or asking sales people about??  

We also ran into a cute 2 person one called Spaberry.  I can't find a lot of reviews though.  They'd for sure work, but it felt a little like sitting in a bathtub.  Anyone ever heard anything about these??  Here's the link to their website, if I'm allowed to post it - link.  (Hoboken, I'll take it down if I'm not).  Thanks in advance.  

Re: Anyone have/had a hot tub??

• we don't have one, but our frinds have a Softub.  It is friggin awesome. It runs on a regular outlet, so you don't have to have an electrician come in and wire for a 220 outlet, which you will likely have to do with a lot of tubs.  It isn't super heavy and when empty, you can move it easily.   we spent a week with them and hopped in that thing every chance we got.
  • Go ahead since you are not advertising the business. We have one but I'm no help because it was here when we moved in.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I grew up with one, but, don't have one now... BUT, I want to say I fully support getting one!!   Ours fit 6 people and my friends and I were always in it growing up.  My parents would have friends over and they would have wine yada.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • Thanks ladies.  Cmgilpin, there's another one we'll have to look into.  
    Stage, we had a 1 person jaccuzi tub in my parents house and we've got a soaker at the moment with no jets, but I can't be bothered to fill it whenever I want a quick dip.  Seems like a waste for a 10 min soak.  

I think we're going to have to slog it out with salespeople.  :(  Something I always hate doing, especially when I don't know a lot to start

• I'm trying to find the brand of the one I had. It was a good one but I do find them to be a PITA to keep the pH and things maintained....and expensive. The chemicals also don't like my skin....I instantly turn red. I love my giant whirlpool bathtub though....I'd love it more if it didn't take 10 years and all of my hot water to fill up though!

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_anyone-havehad-a-hot-tub?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:75d232fa-f610-4f3b-be15-81a67a76b3d1Post:a3fde4c1-46d7-4eec-881d-6e2e65d59581">Re: Anyone have/had a hot tub??</a>:
    [QUOTE] but I do find them to be a PITA to keep the pH and things maintained....
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

My parents have one and feel the same way.  It was an awesome novelty when they first got it.  We spent an entire Christmas in it on year (we were outside while it was snowing - so cool), but my parents eventually got tired of maintaining the pH, checking it all the time, and adding the chemicals.  They found the hassle and maintenance costs to outweigh the benefits.
  • I'm not too worried about chemicals and Ph, since I used to lifeguard and had to do all that daily at the pool.  It's not a lot of work to me.  Muppet - We so need a like button for posts.  I can't be bothered to fill up my tub either!!  :)

• I could just never get used to it. And the reward wasn't there for me when it all made me wicked itchy anyway.

Isn't it terrible? When looking to buy my house, I walked into the bathroom and I was like "Oh yeah". We moved in September and I've used it 3 times. I *think* about using it a lot though.  It pisses me off that it gets so dirty when it's not being used....and it's a wicked pain to clean too lol.

• Good idea =)

I clean mine after I use it. I'm just saying if I dont use it for a month or two, it gets nasty inside. I have to jump up to get in it...and still, somehow dog hair ends up collecting in it.
  • We have one in our back yard, it's an 8ft square, which is big enough to fit six people, without touching anyone.  The maintainance isn't too horrible.  I absolutely love it, though Fi makes me keep my wine in a sippy cup now, geesh, you spill one time and you're marked for life!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also grew up with one, a four seater, but don't have one now. I loved jumping in the hot tub except during the summer (being in Florida, it's hot enough already!) My favorite time of the year to use the hot tub was at night in winter- hot water, frosty air, and lots of stars to look at!

The main reason we had a hot tub was due to my dad's bad back (congenital stenosis plus war injuries sustained in Vietnam). We had to fight with the installers though- hot tubs tend to come with an automatic cut off switch at about 102 degrees. We preferred to crank it up to 110-112. (Insane, I know, but we liked it hot!!) We made them remove said cut off.

Your biggest expenses with owning a hot tub- electric to heat it, replacing the heating element every 3-5 years, and time and energy regularly cleaning, scrubbing, and refilling the hot tub. If you live in an area that deals with hurricane season, you have to watch out for other things as well. We had to get the electronics replaced after it was zapped by lightening during a hurricane. The delay for us was 2 weeks, but thats ok- the repair and replacement guys were busy pulling a jacuzzi off a truck it had flipped over on during the storm.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards