Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

consumption bar before or after dinner?

i need some advice.

i'm currently having a few hick-ups with Joe's regarding our bar package.  they only offer the graduated discount pricing for an open bar for up to three hours.  i had been told before that i could do 4 or 5 hours of open bar, but the additional hours would revert back to the first hour pricing.  now, they're trying to tell me that the max for an open bar is 3 hours, no matter what.  kinda frustrating. 

anyway...if we only have 3 hours of open bar, then we'll have to do the rest consumption.  when do you think its the most cost-effective to do consumption - cocktail hour or for an hour at the end of the evening after dinner?

Re: consumption bar before or after dinner?

• Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think people tend to slow down their drinking towards the end of the evening - at least I do...

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd definitely do consumption bar after dinner; most people drink heavier when they start drinking and then they either get drunk and stop paying attention to ordering  drinks at that pace, or realize they're getting drunk and slow down. :-)  Obviously exceptions to that but I think in general most people taper off after a while.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree, after is best.  Joe's food is so good guests should be full after and less likely to drink a lot.  are you having a dj for after dinner?  honestly, at my friends reception/dinner there, she only had a 2 hour open bar and people had been drinking so much all week that they maybe had 2-3 drinks during dinner.  But we didn't hang out much there after dinner either.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    my only other thought...

we have 51 people (including myself, the groom, the wedding party).  however, none of the wedding party (or their dates) will be at the cocktail hour because we'll be on the strip tour.  that means about only 39 people will be there during cocktail hour.

just something to consider.  i think at this point i'm really over-thinking this.  my initial gut reaction was to do consumption at the end as well.  the younger people will still be drinking, but i'm sure the older folks will have slowed down, if not completely stopped :)
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know you who you guys hang out with but everyone I know pours it on after 3 and are more likely to leave drinks sitting and go get another at that point.

During cocktail hour, I'm still smooth, suave, sophisticated smokey.  I am sipping my cocktail and eating my appies.  I am giggling at your FIL's dumb joke and putting my hand on your MIL's arm when she sighs at said joke.  I am the world of polite.

After dinner when Baby Got Back comes on, I am demanding a gin on the rocks or a spiced rum neat.  Then Heather is sucking down champagne like it's going out of style and my mom just grabbed another beer.

Oh, look, now smokey and her sister are doing the kickworm.  The party is officially started.

This, of course, is only if you are doing dancing.  If you aren't doing any after dinner entertainment then drinks are unnecessary so you can do your consumption then, BUT I still think that once people have 3 they are FAR MORE LIKELY to have 4.  Most folks nurse the first couple so as not not appear as a lush.  After that it's on like Donkey Kong.

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everything Smokey said.

I usually only have 1-2 during cocktail hour (the 2nd on I take to the dinner table with me). I'm making rounds still, catching up with people, ect. About an hour or so after dinner, I've gotten up to full speed and have a higher tendency of misplacing my drink when I run off to the dance floor or set it down to pose for some pictures.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Im with Smokey and LilMiss....most people I know do not drink that much prior to the food otherwise you end up too wasted too early.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with Smokey, LilMiss, and j_jaye. I am way more likely to drink more after dinner. During cocktail hour, I go light so that I can enjoy the food. There is no point in eating a nice expensive meal if your too drunk to enjoy the flavor of it, or because it is overpowered by one too many apple-tinis. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely after dinner:

Bi-oh-rama

"smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think after. The drinking will wind down by then. When I go to a reception the first place I hit is the bar. Towards the end I scale it back. People would have had a good amount of drinks by then.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Smokey - That after dinner picture is pure awesome.  I practically spit out my drink all over my laptop this morning while waiting for my plane to finish boarding.  The flight attendant made me close my computer before I could respond.  However, the thought of it made me giggle several times today...so thanks for that!  :)

For the record, I am in total agreement with all the after-dinner drinkers.  This is when double fisting somehow seems totally appropriate to me.

Lastly, for some reason when I'm in Vegas I have this urge to try and keep up with the younger kids.  So while I may be a little older, don't count on me slowing down and certainly not stopping!  Viva Las Vegas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_consumption-bar-before-after-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:760d5345-4df5-4513-aa30-33d3347d1447Post:58f5d88d-88b9-41e4-8c43-f7d5dc2e48d3">Re: consumption bar before or after dinner?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think after. The drinking will wind down by then. When I go to a reception the first place I hit is the bar. <strong>Towards the end I scale it back</strong>. People would have had a good amount of drinks by then.
    Posted by specialjune[/QUOTE]

In Vegas you scale back?  As I said before, people use cocktail hour for ramp up. This isn't at home where they have to drive home.  It's Vegas where another party and/or free cocktails await you. 

I love that picture.  It's from my sister's wedding. She obviously changed out of her wedding dress as soon as she could.  I have a feeling that someone somewhere is going to demand I do the worm at my own wedding.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the advice- we've decided to do cocktail hour as consumption, and use the open bar package for dinner and afterwards

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards