Getting in Shape

Fitbit users (especially those who sync with MyFitnessPal)

I have a Fitbit and I sync with MFP. Yesterday, I did a lot of walking and noticed it added 256 calories to MyFitnessPal. However, if I do something more substantial like my strength/metabolic training routine or a cardio class, I get less calories. I understand that Fitbit is step-based, and I probably made the wrong decision in gadgets. However, I know some of you have Fitbits and also do exercise that isn't step-based. How are you managing this?

Re: Fitbit users (especially those who sync with MyFitnessPal)

• Thanks! I guess I should be manually adding the calories for non-step activities. I feel like I probably should have gotten a HRM instead of a FitBit since I'm not much of a walker/runner, but I want to make this work.
  • I'm still trying to figure out some of this stuff-I use my fitbit throughout the day and try to wear it when running.  I also have a GPS watch (not HRM) that I wear for long runs, and the calories come out to about the same (but I'll confirm later today on my long run).  I also do Crossfit, which the fitbit doesn't really help with.  I don't enter my caloric burn into MFP anymore, but I still need to play around with it more.  Wish I had a real answer for you-but I'm trying to figure out the same stuff!
  • I do sync the two but I've stopped separately entering my activity into MFP (it will double count it if you sync and enter).

I've never really counted strength training as part of my daily calorie burn, and for the most part I feel the FitBit is giving me enough calorie burn for most of the activities I do. It was coming up really short for when I would work out on the recumbent bike, but I was able to fix that by putting the fitbit on my shoe for that particular activity.

NO tool out there is going to be 100% accurate 100% of the time. The Fitbit is fantastic as a tool to see how active you're being and I think it does a great job encouraging me to be more active. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards