Flowers

Peonies in December wedding

I LOVE the look of peonies and I know they're expensive but are they considered really out of season in December? I live in northern Indiana so if they would be really out of season, how much more do they usually run?  If there is a huge mark up for them being out of season what other flowers will give me a huge bouquet like peonies would? Thanks for the help!!

Re: Peonies in December wedding

• They will be very much out of season in December.  Peonies have a very short season that start around mid-late April and lasts until June.  You can of course purchase greenhouse forced ones but they will cost you an arm, a leg and most likely another leg and will in no way look as gorgeous or as full as those that are in season.

Other flowers that will give you the fullness you are looking for are garden roses and hydrangeas.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_peonies-in-december-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:f3d1833b-5508-4a74-acd8-ab32bdfa523cPost:0b0396dc-1d42-4f0e-9197-45bd0604cf76">Peonies in December wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE the look of peonies and I know they're expensive but are they considered really out of season in December? I live in northern Indiana so if they would be really out of season, how much more do they usually run?  If there is a huge mark up for them being out of season what other flowers will give me a huge bouquet like peonies would? Thanks for the help!!
    Posted by cmlisenk[/QUOTE]

<div>Peonies are out of season in December. They are available, and a good florist can find them even in December (they won't be locally grown, though!). They will be quite expensive, but if you really love them, you may want to consider having your florist use them sparingly. Maybe just in your bouquet? </div><div>
    </div><div>As an alternative, Garden roses are a really great option. They come in lots of shades, give that fluffy look that you get with peonies. Ask your florist about David Austin Garden roses. </div><div>
    </div><div>If you have more questions, email me! I'm happy to help!</div><div>
    </div><div>lilli@bellacalla.com</div><div>Lilli</div>
  • Cabbage roses and juliet roses are very much like peonies (fluffy).
  • I saw the word Peonies and had to answer your post.  There's nothing like peonies.  All others are fluffy but the center is different.  Opt for silk bouquet of peonies.  You really cannot tell the difference if you use someone that has a good source you'll get what you want.  Check out lovetheblooms (all one word) on etsy.com.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_peonies-in-december-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:f3d1833b-5508-4a74-acd8-ab32bdfa523cPost:0b0396dc-1d42-4f0e-9197-45bd0604cf76">Peonies in December wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE the look of peonies and I know they're expensive but are they considered really out of season in December? I live in northern Indiana so if they would be really out of season, how much more do they usually run?  If there is a huge mark up for them being out of season what other flowers will give me a huge bouquet like peonies would? Thanks for the help!!
    Posted by cmlisenk[/QUOTE]

I actually just received an e mail from one of my suppliers stating that peony season has begun. In the world we live in today ...Peony can be had  again mid October thru December...They are running about $10.00 a bloom but sure do make an impact.  You would need far more less expesive flowers to equal the size of a peony.  In the end...you would spend about the same. 
    Josette
    Bloomers Floral & Gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards