Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Less Can Be More at Your Wedding

I was reading a post about someone's inept wedding coordinator. I'm so sorry for anyone who has to deal with such frustration on their wedding day. But I have to say that it made me glad  my husband and I didn't invest too much money in fancy wedding vendors. We had no professional wedding planner (I was the primary wedding planner) or day-of-coordinator. However, I asked my mom for help with the reception decorations, and she did a beautiful job (and saved me a lot of headaches). Our only day-of coordinators were my husband's sister and best man, who handed out tips to vendors and had copies of our schedule and vendor contact info in case something went awry (nothing did).

Our florist wouldn't deliver flowers because our total bill was less than $1,000. So my dad picked up the bouquets, etc., and that worked out fine. We hired a local restaurant to do the catering (which was much cheaper than going with a full-catering service), and the restaurant's two employees did an impressive job of setting out the food and waiting on tables (something I wasn't even expecting them to do). My brother was our DJ, and he played exactly what we wanted without delivering any obnoxious DJ banter. The ceremony coordinators were the church sacristan and the priest. My makeup-artist/hairstylist was a woman I found at the Estee Lauder counter in Nordstrom who was trying to build up her freelance business, and she charged me a lot less than any area salons would have.

The only areas where we really splurged were the cake, the dress, and the photograher. I would definitely advise future brides to hire a good, professional photographer--do your homework, check reviews, and interview potential candidates. We briefly considered relying on a family friend to take all photographs, and I am SO glad we hired a professional instead (many photos taken by our family and friends were grainy or had lighting problems).

Re: Less Can Be More at Your Wedding

• Options
    My FI wants a full out classy Victorian wedding. Our budget is $8 000. To make sure things run smoothly, my FI's dad is the MC (and DJ). I've seen this done at multiple weddings and it shouldn't pose a problem. Someone can always sub for him when he wants to mingle!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had a DW 6 hours from our home. Our DOC was priceless, and one of our best wedding investments. Everyones wedding needs are different.
  • Options

OP, do you want a gold star? Just because that worked for you doesn't mean it would work for everyone. All of our weddings are extremely different and we all have different needs. We hired a full time wedding planner, she has been worth every penny and more.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_less-can-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:2e1a3c16-fb43-45d9-aae3-93064c078385Post:c95b433b-170b-46f9-a62d-603e48895400">Re: Less Can Be More at Your Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP, do you want a gold star?<strong> Just because that worked for you doesn't mean it would work for everyone. All of our weddings are extremely different and we all have different needs.</strong> We hired a full time wedding planner, she has been worth every penny and more.
    Posted by KatWAG[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  OP - I'm glad you had such a great wedding and I hope your advice can help other brides, but keep in mind that people have different priorities.

You said you were able to splurge on a good cake because you had family help out with other areas, which is a great budget compromise.  However, to some people, like myself, I couldn't have cared less about our cake, but I really wanted to make sure our family could sit back and relax on our wedding day and not have to do anything.  Nothing wrong with either situation at all, just different needs.

I do agree though with the general tone of your post, which is that you can have an amazing wedding without buying into all the industry hype of absolutely having to have the best of everything.   All that's necessary is to make your own list of priorities, and plan accordingly and with enough research, you can snag some great vendors on a budget.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not sure why someone would want to "disagree" with this post.  All the OP is saying is less is more.  Which is true.  You can splurge on different things that are important but at the end of the day all the itsy bitsy details we all stressed over before the wedding don't matter.

That's the point of the post, not what other people should or should not have for their wedding.
  • Options
    Less can be more. I totally agree. That has been the theme of my wedding thoughts.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was just talking to my mother about this same idea. I read a post about invites, asking how much people had paid, and the first responce was from a woman who claimed she'd spend $11,000 on stationary and invites, at $48 an invite. I don't know wheather this was an honest post, or one in hyperbolic jest, but that did seem a little extreme compared with my $1 a piece invites. I do recognize that every wedding has different needs; some need a DOC or even a full planner, and others do not. My mother said if she were to get married today, she'd probably do it exactly like she did the first time: very simply and very cheeply. I think what is most important is to decide what matters most to you as a couple. Whether that means your whole family is helping the day of, or that they get to relax. If you have a giant, 5 tiered cake, or a small 2 tier with sheet cakes from the back. I know we will be on a tight budget, so while I would love to have a DOC, I probably won't be able to get one. But my church has a great woman who handles coordinating there, and most of the reception venues I've looked at so far also provide a coordinator for their locations. We don't need to buy into all the hype the wedding industry puts out there, it's not realistic for everyone, and they are an industry trying to make money...But it can be fun to buy into at least a little of it ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards