Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Radisson Hyannis - PROBLEM! Long post...

Hi girls:  I am wondering if anyone else had any similar issues w/ this hotel, or any other on the cape for that matter.  I am really upset right now and not sure what to do.  I called the Radisson back in September to book a room block.  I was told a few things (and of course it was over the phone and have no back up) that 1) they do not have a 2 night min (which is partly why I went w/ them) 2) that they way they do room blocks is by blocking 10 rooms at a time and as they are booked they auto-refill the block to 10 3) that I had until May 10th to book at our group rate.

It is now only March 17th.  last thursday a friend of the family called my  mom to say when she tried to book she was told not only that my block was sold out but that the whole hotel was sold out too.  When I foudn out about this on sturday I called the front desk who told me "oh well your room block is showing as full but you only have 16 people on it, but the hotel still has rooms.  I guess your guest was transfered to the reservation line and they see things that I dont" And so my wedding guest called back and got a room.  We then tried to contact any wedding party memebrs who did not have rooms to have them book.  One was able to.

I got intouch w/ my group sales mgr on Monday who told me that another group of 60 people had a room block on hold for that weekend and she would not know until this week if it goes through and that would wipe out all rooms left in the hotel.  I asked her how she could let one group override another and she said "bc they are all going to a master account."  Now just a disclaimer that I am an inhouse event planner for an organization so I get how room blocks work. So I said "well you told me I could only get 10 rooms at a time, if there was an option to do more I would have" which she replied "we dont do that for weddings, only groups that pay to the master, so you couldnt get more then 10"  So basically she put me between a rock and a hard place that I could only get 10 rooms at a time but 16 rooms into by block allowed another group to come in and take over the hotel!

So as it stands 4 of our groomsmen and my father do not have hotel rooms with us right now.  The hotel is not being flexible at ALL no matter what I say. 

Any suggestions, thoughts, experiences?  I am really considering if the block goes through making the Radisson transfer all of our block to the HOliday Inn which is their sister hotel and telling everyone in the wedding to call ASAP for a room.  Which is pretty annoying since I already printed my direction cards and shuttle cards which list the radisson (which I also mentioned to my group mgr and she didnt seem to care much about the loss of $ on my end).

UGH!

Re: Radisson Hyannis - PROBLEM! Long post...

• Options
    kriskarpkriskarp member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear this, but I too have been going through the same issues with The Holiday Inn in Falmouth.  It seems that they talk out of one side of their mouth when it comes to room blocks.  I literally have been going through the same thing; and like you had printed a card saying which hotels had room blocks etc.which I  included in my invitations that have been sent.   I have no idea how many guests have been getting the run around, but i know of at least 6.  I totally feel for you as I too feel like I am between a rock and a hard place...not sure what can be done, but the Holiday Inn in Falmouth is no better...
    Married by best friend on May 15, 2010 First BFP (Honeymoon Baby) on June 8, 2010 Mackenzie Anne born sleeping on November 26, 2010 at 30 weeks Mackenzie had Congestive Heart Failure and Hydrops Fetalis; CP in April 2011 Waiting on our take home baby... http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2f3278 ****PGAL/PAL Always welcome**** BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we have had a problem with the hampton inn in west yarmouth, too - they put restrictions on whether guests can have a room with two queens or a king (no king rooms for the block, apparently - if this is normal with blocks, let me know so i'm not as upset) and the room rate they quoted us is no better than the online rate. When we ask what the benefit of the room block is with that rate, the question is met with silence.  

If someone has had a good experience with room blocks at any hotel, please post so we know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting and letting me know I am not alone in this, I am sorry you guys are going through this too :-( 
    I have worked with MANY hotels before in my job and have never encountered anythign like this - or anything on bed restrictions.  I bet they usually have a tougher time getting rid of the 2 doubles so they are forcing your guests into it.  Normally w/ room blocks they let you block say 50 rooms and then you are responsible for filling the rooms -  and guests can pay on their own-and if you dont fill say 90% of the rooms you contracted you would be responsible for them.  I was told "we dont do that here".  I have worked w/ hotels that range from a chain hotel to a luxury resort and never have seen anything like this. 

Did you guys sign contracts for your room blocks?  Lewisc-if they didnt say in the contract that the beds would be restricted I would call the director of sales bc they are in violation of the contract.
  • Options
    cdream05cdream05 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh no I have rooms blocked off at the Radisson... Now im nervous~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i didn't sign a contract - actually, my mom (who lives overseas) arranged it over the phone. I wonder if that helps or hurts the room restriction thing - i'll call and get clarification of their policy in general and then cause a ruckus. thanks for the info! i wonder what the experience has been with the marriott in hyannis (their rates are higher in general, though). 
  • Options
    Stephanie7754Stephanie7754 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies,

I have so far had no problems with the three places I blocked rooms.  I went with the Travel Lodge in Yarmouth because they have no minimum nights (even 4th of July weekend), Ambassador Inn where the owner is super nice, and the Swan River Inn, which was just renovated and is beautiful.  I signed a contract with the Ambassador but no others.  Many of my guests have booked already and I have heard no problems (yet).  Both the Swan River Inn and the Ambassador have two night minimums but that is to be expected over the July 4th weekend. 

Hope this helps, let me know if anyone needs contact info.

Stephanie
  • Options
    emh777emh777 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Crap - just about to start doing this and I'm super scared.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi girls - just wanted to update you on what ended up happening.
    the Holiday inn Hyannis apparently is the sister resort to the Radisson. They had plenty of room so the Radisson allowed us to move our entire block over there. unfort. that required each person to call and cancel their Radisson reservation and rebook at the holiday inn but the Radisson did call each person, instead of making my guests call them.  We are now at the holiday inn (same price was honored) and everyone was able to get a room!  Crisis #1 averted! :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

sorry the font was really small for some reason on my last post....

Hi girls - just wanted to update you on what ended up happening.
    the Holiday inn Hyannis apparently is the sister resort to the Radisson. They had plenty of room so the Radisson allowed us to move our entire block over there. unfort. that required each person to call and cancel their Radisson reservation and rebook at the holiday inn but the Radisson did call each person, instead of making my guests call them.  We are now at the holiday inn (same price was honored) and everyone was able to get a room!  Crisis #1 averted! :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards