Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Something borrowed?????

You guys, I'm going nuts with this something borrowed thing.
I don't know any HAPPILY married ladies from whom to borrow something.
Are you sticking to the happily married source or simply borrowing from a friend regardless of the marital status?

Re: Something borrowed?????

• I never heard that the borrowed has to be from someone married.  The first person I asked about my "borrowed" was my divorced MOH.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto PP.  My friend borrowed something from me earlier this year and our wedding is n't until Oct.
  • I read about it on the knot!!
    So it's not important?? .... I guess my world of options has just gotten a lot bigger :-)

• I have heard it is supposed to be from someone happily married, but I think either is fine. I am not a superstitious person, so I really don't think it matters.
  • Its'a superstition.  You know you don't really have to do any of it, right?

The question does bring one of my favorite Michael Scott quotes to mind though:  "I'm not superstitious.  Well, I'm a little stitious."
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I think the whole happily married thing is about good karma or something like that.  My cousin traded earrings with her single MOH on the day of the wedding to have something borrowed.  My items are more along the lines of having a connection to a person who means a lot to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I plan on borrowing a real pearl necklace that is a family heirloom of my MOH, who has been my absolute best friend since we were born (literally). I think this part of the tradition will mean more to you if you borrow something from someone who means the world to you.
    live.laugh.love
  • You girls are right, I'll borrow from someone who means a lot to me :-)

thanks!!!!!!
  • i'm borrrowing my moms pearl earings...she's widowed but that shouldn't make a difference
    imageAnniversary
  • This is a superstition, remember?  That means it isn't really true.  So you could skip the something borrowed altogther, or modify the "rules" to what you can manage.
  • I am planning on borrowing a rhinestone bracelet from my "bridesman" who is also a drag queen, so he has great jewelry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not even superstitious! But I do like these ideas that add a little fun. And since I decided to follow them I don't wanna skip any... I agree though, I should make the tradition mine by adding a personal touch :-)
  • The act of borrowing something from someone doesn't also incapsulate their status - e.g. married, or divorced.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • I think it's just a superstition, but I still like the idea of it.  I will be borrowing my grandmothers diamond and pearl brooch.  My grandpa bought it for her when he was in Japan during WWII.  It even still has the original box and receipt!  They got married in 1947 and were married over 50 years (it was also my grandma's 2nd marriage)  It's become a tradition for the granddaughters to have that as our 'something borrowed'. 
    Anniversary
  • I don't even know what to borrow..... I don't really know any happily married ladies either.... scary.

I just figured a family member of friend would lend me something. By BFF (and MOH) is giving me my something new. My something blue will be my garter (our colors are blue and yellow so it works)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My FIL are still happily married, so I'm planning on asking FMIL for the "something borrowed". (Also I'll hopefully get brownie points!!)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards